• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Studio Gainax Files for Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RommieSG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:36 pm Reply with quote
The end of an icon, but they leave an impressive legacy behind that we can still enjoy.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
To not even finish with a Gainax Ending is probably what is the most disappointing:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GainaxEnding

Well they did spend their money too fast and ran out at the end, so that was at least on brand for them...
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
Didn't Khara have the rights for Evangelion?

Yes

From what I can tell, Khara has Eva and Gunbuster, Trigger's got most of the Imaishi-helmed efforts and Production I.G owns FLCL outright. I have no idea who technically owns the collabs the company did with SHAFT, J.C. Staff or feel. (ie Corpse Princess or Marohomatic) presuming the partner studio doesn't claim them; or a lot of the studio's earlier efforts pre-Eva unless Anno got those ones as well.

Wait, when did Khara get Gunbuster? In one of the articles linked here, from back in 2019, Anno said that Gainax sold off the rights of Gunbuster and other series without telling him, and that he never received royalties from the stuff he made at Gainax except for Evangelion.
ThugsBunny3840

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Someday someone will make one heck of a documentary about this company's rise and fall.

Callum May did a four-part piece on GAINAX for this site back in 2018, starting here, though obviously that doesn't fully detail the "fall" part.

The only real surprise here is that it took this long. GAINAX was a studio created by fans, not business professionals, and mismanagement has been an issue for them pretty much throughout their existence.

Truuuuuueee. Honestly, they should've died in the 90s, with everything that was going on with them, and it's truly astonishing that they lasted as long as they did.
YackDe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Hard to feel particularly saddened by this news. It's an important reminder that brand names or logos aren't what make the things you love, it's the people who work under those.

Now if only they had died out sooner so we could've gotten Tsurumaki's FLCL instead of 4 terrible sequels because the Adult Swim guy was nostalgic.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the titles that have been clarified, such as Evangelion, Gunbsuter and FLCL, how many of these titles were ever actually owned by Gainax? I've heard that they didn't own the rights to Nadia, which is why despite it being successful, they were in financial trouble after production ended. I'm pretty sure Bandai owns the rights to Honneamise, it seems odd that they would spend so much money on a title they did not own the rights to.
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I definitely saw and finished a few anime from this company like Evangelion, Gunbuster, FLCL, and Gurren Lagann. I'm going to miss Gainax but at least their original shows will live on in other companies.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:45 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Aside from the titles that have been clarified, such as Evangelion, Gunbsuter and FLCL, how many of these titles were ever actually owned by Gainax? I've heard that they didn't own the rights to Nadia, which is why despite it being successful, they were in financial trouble after production ended. I'm pretty sure Bandai owns the rights to Honneamise, it seems odd that they would spend so much money on a title they did not own the rights to.

Yeah, I was wondering who even owns a lot of these to begin with.

Heck, I wonder if even the other producers Gainax remember (or care) if things like OG Appleseed OVA are owned by one of them given how obscure some of these titles are.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Gainax had been already dead for 15 years. I don't feel sorry for them because their mismanagement and corruption led to their demise.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:48 pm Reply with quote
There goes all that's left of Gainax's legacy
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:

I was hoping someone would drop that Razz

YackDe wrote:

Now if only they had died out sooner so we could've gotten Tsurumaki's FLCL instead of 4 terrible sequels because the Adult Swim guy was nostalgic.

Which I would only hope would be just as underwhelming so it doesn’t wind up becoming terribly overrated and played over and over again on Toonami.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Truly the end of an era. At least we're left with Trigger to carry the torch.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:45 pm Reply with quote
LukaTheLancer wrote:
This might also explains how and why TRIGGER got the rights to Panty & Stocking back.

I read elsewhere that that's pretty much exactly what happened. Gainax sold the rights for PSG to Trigger to try and pay off their debts, but it barely put a dent in what they owed.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:56 am Reply with quote
It's kinda sad to see Gainax disappear. It did come up with some really interesting anime. I don't know someone will resurrect it or not,but I hope they do. So long,Gainax. It's a shame you won't be with us anymore.
Gilarack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:30 am Reply with quote
This is really not worth getting worked up about. Everything you liked about Gainax has left that sinking ship a long time ago. The original spirit of Gainax, if you will, lives on in Trigger and Khara, just without all the negative baggage attached to it. I say good riddance!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4