• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Prodigious Legacy Of The Digimon Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh and I think some of you may know already
But Carl Macek was hired to work early on the DiC dub of Sailor Moon
And he refused to move the location outside Tokyo Japan because he felt the setting was important to Sailor Moon identity as a property

Sure he did get fired
But even Fred Ladd who was more open to Macekreing Sailor Moon kept it being Tokyo
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:16 am Reply with quote
YagamiBlackstone255 wrote:
Thank god I dont even watch English dubs so I dont feel bad for watching his work. And he retired anyway.

He's done adaption work as recent as Jujutsu Kaisen S2 and Bungo Stray Dogs 5, actually.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:18 am Reply with quote
Then i am glad I not only dont like those series but also dont really watch english dubs anyway. I only ask Toei for a Pretty Cure dub on social media, both in english and spanish.
Digimon_Sommelier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:45 am Reply with quote
I think the English dub is better as a TV series. The show was what put Digimon on the map. The reboot was alright, but something lacked. The continuity of the original two seasons, them growing up. The epilogue of S2 still bothers me.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:39 am Reply with quote
The Digimon dub is something I still have a lot of nostalgic love for and I think there's some things that are dated but other things that were ahead of it's time. Like the dub never shied away from the human drama and were relatively fine with keeping character deaths in tact compared to some of the other localized dubs of the era and I personally think the cheesy jokes added to the personality of the dub. The cheesy jokes also weren't that unusual for Saban's dubs as they also did with their earlier adaptation work on Samurai Pizza Cats which most anime fans regard the dub as a classic and Saban also added in their own jokes to the Mon Colle Knights dub.

The Tamers dub wasn't as over the top as the Adventure 02 dub but Tamers' dub also still had a lot of those kinds of corny jokes even though Nimoy had already left the dub at that point. I think the takeaway from this article is the Digimon dub was a collaborative effort from multiple parties and not the creation of a sole voice much like the original show was and I also find it fascinating to learn Japan was quite involved with the dub as there was a general perception of these Japanese studios being mostly hands off in these older localize dubs.

I do want to know though who's decision it was to censor Pumpkimon and Gotsumon's spoiler[ deaths] in the Adventure dub when they kept in Wizardmon's spoiler[death] in like a couple of episodes later. Also noteworthy that there is a in fact an uncut English dub of the first three seasons of Digimon but it was only released in the Philippines and it has the kind of quality voice acting you would expect from those old southeast Asian English dubs like by Animax.

Quote:
GF was a truly wild time for anime dubs ad while I'd like to know more about what thoughts were put in making this dub I'm more interested in knowing why the hell Doki Doki Pretty Cure was trimmed to only 30 episodes!

From what I understand Saban ordered Smile and Dok Doki as a package deal of exactly 50 episodes so they had to cut both shows down to exactly 50 episodes total.

Quote:
The majority of the content dubbed nowadays is aimed towards older audiences; kids still get Pokémon and Beyblade Burst (Is Yugi still being dubbed?) but outside of these two, nothing else seems to be given dubs. The last show I remember hearing that had Westernized names was a dub of Inazuma Eleven Ares that aired on Disney Anime hyper: but this dub kept the main characters in Japan. As for movies, both Stand By Me Doraemon films used the dub names for the characters.

Yugioh is still getting localized dubs but those dubs are now handled by Konami directly. They just recently finished dubbing Yugioh Sevens which they released on both Disney X-D and Hulu. There is stll the usual localization choices but not as much as past seasons but Sevens was already made for a younger audience. Vrains was also dubbed but you can also watch the sub on Crunchyroll. Bakugan is also still having new episodes out on Netflix and just released a new season but I don't know if that counts since Bakugan is a Japanese/US co-production. Cardfight Vanguard is also being dubbed but it's an uncut dub and it's on HiDive.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:47 am Reply with quote
YagamiBlackstone255 wrote:
Oh and I think some of you may know already
But Carl Macek was hired to work early on the DiC dub of Sailor Moon
And he refused to move the location outside Tokyo Japan because he felt the setting was important to Sailor Moon identity as a property

Sure he did get fired
But even Fred Ladd who was more open to Macekreing Sailor Moon kept it being Tokyo

Carl Macek knew that not keeping Sailor Moon Japanese would harm the show completely.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:01 am Reply with quote
While this was a pretty good English dub,I've got something I need to ask. I know that Izzy says "Prodigious" in the show. I wonder if he says something different in Japanese. I also wonder what the Japanese think about Izzy saying "Prodigious" in English. Do they like that or not or do they even know about it?
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:49 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
Carl Macek knew that not keeping Sailor Moon Japanese would harm the show completely.

While this is repeating what I just said you FINALLY understand artistic integrity. I am glad.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Bakugan is also still having new episodes out on Netflix and just released a new season but I don't know if that counts since Bakugan is a Japanese/US co-production.

Canada/Japan coproduction actually. Spin Master's a Canadian company.

Quote:
Cardfight Vanguard is also being dubbed but it's an uncut dub and it's on Hidive.

Youtube too; both the dub and sub.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Also it helps that the Digimon dub is a union dub.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
From what I understand Saban ordered Smile and Dok Doki as a package deal of exactly 50 episodes so they had to cut both shows down to exactly 50 episodes total.

All together, the GF dubs spawned 70 episodes. Where did this 50 episode limit come from?
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Was just about to say the exact same thing. I doubt that's a thing. I heard of of 52 or 65 but not 70 and not 50. I think that since it flopped and wanted out they just dubbed the least they could get away with.
juaifan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:21 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
While this was a pretty good English dub,I've got something I need to ask. I know that Izzy says "Prodigious" in the show. I wonder if he says something different in Japanese. I also wonder what the Japanese think about Izzy saying "Prodigious" in English. Do they like that or not or do they even know about it?

If you're asking if Koushiro has some kind of catchphrase or something in the original version, then no. Not really. Tentoman has a Kansai dialect and usually refers to people with the -han suffix but that's about all that's noteworthy. I assume they used prodigious, which is an actual word, since it has 'digi' in it and the dub really likes using that word for everything.

Not sure why or how Japanese fans would have an opinion on what the American dub does, though.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:08 am Reply with quote
Take this with a grain of salt since I read this on TV Tropes, but I heard Mona Marshall learned about the word Prodigious and she wanted to incorporate it into Izzy's lines as a recurring catchphrase.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Digimon dub showed that anime can be marketable and sell toys without dumbing down the source material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4