• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Spring 2023 Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:39 pm Reply with quote
nl_TvdL wrote:
...Sadly Ao no Orchestra didn't, but yeah, at this point the reviewer would have to pirate it.

Understandably, ANN has a policy against "sailing the seven seas", but it is too bad that no official streaming service picked up Ao no Orchestra.

The end is nigh, since 7 of 9 shows I voted for made it to review, which is a much higher percentage than any past season. Shocked
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Only two shows I voted for that didn't get picked were Cheat Skill and Summoned a Second Time. But the latter doesn't really surprise me, the first episode was "meh" and the second was garbage. I don't think it's going to survive the 3 episode rule for me.

Man, this whole season is mostly a wash compared to last season. I somehow went from watching 20 shows last season to barely finding anything half decent to watch this season. There's a few shows I really look forward to each week like Dr. Stone, Demon Slayer, Skip and Loafer and Magus' Bride. But the other six are just something to watch when I remember. There are a few shows I'm considering watching, but I need to see how the reviews go.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Looks like we’ve got a great roster of reviews to look forward to, this season!

Like other posters, I’m a bit bummed that Cheat Skill didn’t make the cut—and that Sacrificial Princess aired too late to stand a chance. But everything else I voted for made it in.

Delighted to have James back for Demon Slayer, Lynzee back for Bojji, and Richard back for Dr. Stone. For the rest, I’m excited about Oshi no Ko with Lauren, Ancient Magus with Nick, and Tengoku Daimakyou (and, really, that’s how the show should be listed since—stupidly—you can’t find it/search for it on Hulu using the English name) with Steve.

But I’m particularly looking forward to Rebecca’s reviews of Skip and Loafer (which I started reading on her recommendation) and My Clueless First Friend. Should be great!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Hey, when you say " stuffed ballots are thrown out" do you mean we had a repeat of bot voting?

Anyway, glad to see KamiKatsu and Legendary Hero is Dead got in at least when so many deserving didn't, like...Summoned to Another World for a Second Time...
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:43 am Reply with quote
NeedMoreCats wrote:
But I’m particularly looking forward to Rebecca’s reviews of Skip and Loafer (which I started reading on her recommendation) and My Clueless First Friend. Should be great!

Funny how both of the new shows I'm watching are being reviewed by the same person.

And it seems Kamikatsu is fulfilling the tradition of having one dumpster-fire anime assigned to someone who hated it too much to even give it a rating. Some things never change...
cfalcon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:46 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Always rough to see something you were interested in didn't even make the top 30. (Which includes three continuations from winter, mind you -- One Piece, Vinland Saga, and NieR.)

For the convenience of anyone interested, here's the list of rejects:

1. alice gear aegis Expansion
  2. The Aristocrat's Otherworldly Adventure: Serving Gods Who Go Too Far
  3. The Café Terrace and Its Goddesses
  4. Edens Zero Season 2
  5. The IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls U149
  6. I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World
  7. In Another World With My Smartphone Season 2
  8. Kizuna no Allele
  9. Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible
  10. Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear—Punch!
  11. The Marginal Service
  12. MIX Season 2
  13. My One-Hit Kill Sister
  14. OPUS.COLORS
  15. Rokudo's Bad Girls
  16. Stella of the Theater: World Dai Star
  17. Summoned to Another World for a Second Time
  18. Tokyo Mew Mew New Season 2
  19. Too Cute Crisis

Going by current MyAnimeList members, the most popular of those are I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World, Summoned to Another World for a Second Time, In Another World With My Smartphone 2, The Aristocrat's Otherworldly Adventure, and Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear—Punch!. So, I guess ANN readers are getting tired of Narou-type isekai faster than MAL members.

(On MAL's seasonal chart, Birdie Wing S2 is currently down at #38 for TV shows -- the lowest show on the chart to have made the cut here, just below Sacrificial Princess. Otaku Elf is the next above that, at #34, and then My Clueless First Friend at #32. Despite how requested G-Witch S2 was here, it's only #29 on the MAL chart.)

Quote:
For the curious, the most requested series from this season were Oshi no Ko, followed by Skip and Loafer, Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury Season 2, Hell's Paradise, and Heavenly Delusion.

I assume this means requested by readers, but now I'm curious what shows were the most requested by reviewers.

Thanks, the list of rejects is helpful!

Since isekai are my guilty pleasure, I'm disappointed so many missed the cut, but can't say I'm that surprised.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:01 am Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
tfwnoymir wrote:
No one's interested in Isekai Smartphone anymore, now that literally every isekai is the same thing Sad Cool

Do people not remember when the first season was released? Most people did not "care about it" the first time around. It was fittingly heralded as the most generic thing seen up to that point. The only nostalgia the show really should receive is that, somehow, the subgenre has become even more ridiculously reductive.
"Hey, remember when Smartphone was the silliest isekai idea? ... oh, for those simpler days when every other one didn't involve farming and or slimes."

I was being sarcastic, of course Smile I was only finding it funny that something once heralded as the lowest possible trash imaginable, is barely making a dent when we're oversaturated by the same kind of trash nowadays.

Dang that internet sarcasm! I should have noticed the emojis! Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:31 am Reply with quote
I hate that The Café Terrace and Its Goddesses didn't make the cut. It actually turns into a pretty good harem series as the story progresses, not unlike The Quintessential Quintuplets.

Edit: And apparantly, the manga has printed more than 1 million copies since its first volume was printed in May 2021.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3