• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Subtitle Technology

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImperialPanda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:55 am Reply with quote
I love hair-colored subs. I believe they add to the cuteness factor. Confused

I've never personally seen anybody use particularly difficult to read fonts. I think it's safe to say that everyone wants subs which are readable.

As for "gimmicky," debatable. It's certainly commonplace in manga, where different fonts are used effectively to add to a particular mood or such. The majority is for sound effects, which is unnecessary in anime of course. But in other cases like tv or radio voice I can see how an appropriately chosen font specific for that might be helpful and add to the overall feel.

KocaKoala wrote:
If you want to see good fansubs though, [this is a digisubbing group name] and AnY's team effort on Ah! My Goddess was great. Fancy, yet easily read fonts. Different colors are used when the speaker is speaking on-screen, off-screen, or thinking.

Ditto.

I think it all depends on how it's used, instead of lumpping all specialized font under a single "gimmicky" category.

Overall, I prefer special fonts over the regular yellow fonts, so long as they're readable.
Mercury Crusader

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:09 am Reply with quote
As I've stated before, I'm usually don't like fansubs because they're usually distracting. I treat subtitles more like "crib notes" as I have enough knowledge of the language to get through a good amount of a show, usually needing them more for obscure words, terminology, et al. As such, subtitles need to be as unobtrusive as possible.

Some fansubs and some official release subs do quite a bit of creative licensing with their translations, and I'll let that slide since I understand what is going on. What I am annoyed about, however, is when people get pissed off when [company that released anime domestically] translated something "wrong" because [fansub group] translated it "THIS WAY" when they're both usually correct. Amateur semanticians Rolling Eyes

Also, I don't quite understand the whole "I can tell who is talking" thing with multicolored subtitles. I mean, I understand it is a different language and all, but I didn't think that most voices were so similar to each other that they warrant the need to remind me of who is who on a sentence-to-sentence basis.

Last edited by Mercury Crusader on Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Vapors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:16 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And while we're posting screenshots, let's all play the "Fansub or not" game Smile Without any prior knowledge of these series, are these from fansubs or DVDs?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the first (left) is professional and the second (right) is the fansub. The giveaway to me is that the punctuation seems incorrect. No need for the comma and two spaces should follow a period. That looks like one to me. Plus it has pretty large font for a short sentence. A long sentence will take up two lines on the screen it seems. The first is pretty plain with no shadows or any other "gimmicks" like cursive writing or changing colors to follow along with the song.

Personally, I stop watching anime on my comp since my job requires me to stare at a screen for 8-12 hours a day. When I go home, I wanna lounge on my sofa far away from my tv screen. I really had no problems with fansubbed subs since, as some mentioned, if it has readable and accurate translations with no grammer or spelling errors, its fine with me.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:29 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And while we're posting screenshots, let's all play the "Fansub or not" game Smile Without any prior knowledge of these series, are these from fansubs or DVDs?
First one is from a fansub (I've seen their style before; they actually get rid of their fansubs once the R2 DVDs gets released). And I'm guessing the second one is from a fansub too since FUNi's subs are always white.

As for me, I could really careless for those flashy subs with those silly karaoke subs. I'm not planning to sing those songs anyway; I just want to know what the heck they're saying. There's pretty much no need to make subbing an "artistic" endeavor. Rolling Eyes

[Edit: cleaned up the quote a bit ~Zalis]
Ericf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Vapors said:
The giveaway to me is that the punctuation seems incorrect. No need for the comma and two spaces should follow a period.

You're right about the comma but where did you get the idea that you use 2 spaces after a period?

Not correct.

One space after a period is the common way to do it.

I've neever seen it done any other way.

ericf
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:38 am Reply with quote
Voted colors, as long as it is good looking, it works. The HD/Blu-ray format is best. Better to oogle at the characters than the type font. When the font becomes the focus of the show, all is lost.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:38 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
First one is from a fansub (I've seen their style before; they actually get rid of their fansubs once the R2 DVDs gets released). And I'm guessing the second one is from a fansub too since FUNi's subs are always white.

As for me, I could really careless for those flashy subs with those silly karaoke subs. I'm not planning to sing those songs anyway; I just want to know what the heck they're saying. There's pretty much no need to make subbing an "artistic" endeavor. Rolling Eyes

[Edit: cleaned up the quote a bit ~Zalis]
Although cheating a bit, darkchibi is right on both counts--they're both fansubs. (Knowing the series is a giveaway, as Karin (on left) is unlicensed, and that particular episode of Negima! hasn't been released on DVD yet.) Just thought I'd throw out a little counter-evidence that not all fansubs are full of crazy colors, karaoke, and credits-obscuring staff names. I actually liked that group for Karin better than a more popular group that had the color-coded subs and other fancy tricks, because their translations were better-worded and more fun. Needless to say, most people in the fansub-loving camp say that group "sucks" because their subs are too close to DVD-style.
Wandering Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:31 am Reply with quote
I enjoy fansub subtitles better. Though sometimes flashy fonts get danm annoying, you usually get a better 'service' in terms of notes on Japanese, Japan, curiosities and et-cetera. You should see what fansubs did with Pani Poni Dash!, it's just outright amazing, I mean, who the hell could've detected so many small references to old anime? (though I recognise that some references they detected were a bit forced).

Quote:
* Without misspellings, sloppy grammar errors, or word confusion. And even many of the pros have slipped to using "alright" when "all right" is still the only acceptable way to write it.

Ehm... You have to take in mind that characters do not always speak with perfect grammar (even more in Japanese). Grab any English XIX century classic, preferably from Dickens, and you'll see what I'm talking about. When you translate something, your objective isn't to show yourself as a grammar god... you must emulate as much as possible the tone and manner the speaker is using, at least in this kind of cinematographic translation.

Take a look at these examples from the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni manga:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/WanderingKnight/HigurashinoNakuKoroniv01p095.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/WanderingKnight/HigurashinoNakuKoroniv01p096.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/WanderingKnight/HigurashinoNakuKoroniv01p097.jpg

A reader of Japanese clearly recognises the bad bikers' "gramatical mistakes" as idiomatic expressions, particular of his or her language. However, if you just translate with zero grammatical mistakes, then you won't be able to appreciate the full extent of the dialog, and it'd look dumb and stupid.
Illusionary_Systems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:37 am Reply with quote
Nice, crisp, legible text is all that is required. I do prefer a small amount of outlining (in the case of shows with bright scenes)

However, I am all for technological progress and having options for subtitle font color wouldn't be unwelcome. Smile
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:45 am Reply with quote
Wandering Knight wrote:
I enjoy fansub subtitles better. Though sometimes flashy fonts get danm annoying, you usually get a better 'service' in terms of notes on Japanese, Japan, curiosities and et-cetera. You should see what fansubs did with Pani Poni Dash!, it's just outright amazing, I mean, who the hell could've detected so many small references to old anime? (though I recognise that some references they detected were a bit forced).
Zalis116 wrote:
* Without misspellings, sloppy grammar errors, or word confusion. And even many of the pros have slipped to using "alright" when "all right" is still the only acceptable way to write it.
Ehm... You have to take in mind that characters do not always speak with perfect grammar (even more in Japanese). Grab any English XIX century classic, preferably from Dickens, and you'll see what I'm talking about. When you translate something, your objective isn't to show yourself as a grammar god... you must emulate as much as possible the tone and manner the speaker is using, at least in this kind of cinematographic translation.
I also wrote:
* Edited to standard English (or whatever is appropriate to convey the dialogue being spoken, such as slang, "broken" language, childish language, etc.), and are enjoyable to read, i.e. not "let's save time and make this as literal as possible."
I think that covers the "imperfect grammar" issue, doesn't it? If it's intentionally done to reflect how a character speaks, than playing with the language is fine. But "all right" vs. "alright" doesn't reflect any dialectical or educational differences in the spoken language -- one is correctly written, and one is not. By "sloppy errors," I mean things like "my power's at it's max," which I saw on DVD.

ADV's Vid-notes on PaniPoni Dash! are quite impressive as well; I imagine they catch pretty much the same references. I'll have to try overloading my brain sometime by doing a side-by-side viewing to compare.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quote
Ericf wrote:
Quote:
Vapors said:
The giveaway to me is that the punctuation seems incorrect. No need for the comma and two spaces should follow a period.

You're right about the comma but where did you get the idea that you use 2 spaces after a period?

Not correct.

Then you are probably under the age of thirty—two spaces is (was) the standard for typing on a typewriter (I still do this, but most computers only display one space. It matters in my E-mail messages because I use a monospace typeface.). See "One Versus Two Spaces After a Period" for more on this issue (thanks once again to Google).

I agree with Zalis116 about the non-typographical subtitling issues—correct translation and timing, et cetera, are (genreally) more important than typeface, style, or size (within limits).

My preference is for a font with a dark outline (I recall AnimEigo's Robert Woodhead mentioning that their subtitles outlines were, for technical reasons, a very dark brown), saturated yellow in color (I find that yellow is more legible than white), and for the second set of lines to be in green (I have no real preference for the tertiary and quarternary colors, except that they not be white). I dislike fancy typefaces (which, IMHO, tend to sacrifice legibility for "showmanship"—"Look what I can do!"), but very much like on-screen notes (preferably in a different color from the dialog), and the type of karaoke song lyrics that use a moving color to indicate the current syllable (the entire line should stay on screen for the entire time). Alternate subtitle tracks for the transliteration of the lyrics (i.e., romaji) and for the translation are ideal, IMHO.

I also like it when additional phrases are timed to be displayed after the initial portion of the line, so that the subtitles read more like the dialog sounds, instead of potentially giving away surprises. (However, this should not be done at the expense of readability.)

As examples, I find that FUNimation's subtitles are a bit too small and in a typeface that is a bit difficult to read, while Media Blasters' a tiny bit on the large side (but otherwise legible). I generally like AnimEigo's subtitles, but I wish they would use a typeface other than Geneva. As a counter example, I recall watching a fansub of Lensman in January 1988 (which is the excuse—it was the very early days of the craft) which had white subtitles with no outline. I was about the only person in the room who could read them (most of the time). It did help that I was closer to the television than most.
Dante80

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Dante80 wrote:
Hm...lets see...

DVD Subs:

SRT Softsubs:

I think I like the second better...there is nothing uglier IMO than a yellow sub...

I gotta disagree with you there. The first image looks professional, takes up less space, and has a thicker black line around it, making for an easier read against backgrounds with similar color as the font itself. The second image just looks blocky and amateur, like someone just ran it through Premier in just a couple minutes, and the line around it is thinner. It also takes up more space and obscures more of the screen. And that drop shadow is just laughably frivolous fluff that isn't needed. Not to mention I just have a pre-determined aversion to blocky white text like that, as the only people I've ever seen use it are the utter bottom-of-the-barrel fansubbers with the unbelievably embarassingly awful translations and horrific grammar. Them, or the scumbag DVD rippers who always find some way to screw up the timing. It looks crappy, and the people that use it tend to be just as crappy, at least in my view.

Well as I said it is just a matter of preference...I hate the yellow color used in most releases, and for this title (Yukikaze) I've watched both versions and actually found that the SRT has better viewability in my TV. (For me at least)

Another Example...from BtC this time...

DVD Subs:

SSA Softsubs

The reason I used 2 screenshots for the DVD release is that the radio subs and the main subs in that version were incorrectly not placed together...but I only want to compare the subs.

I really enjoyed the second version better.
Cave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Then you are probably under the age of thirty—two spaces is (was) the standard for typing on a typewriter (I still do this, but most computers only display one space. It matters in my E-mail messages because I use a monospace typeface.). See "One Versus Two Spaces After a Period" for more on this issue (thanks once again to Google).

We don't live in the typewriter age anymore, unfortunately. As a graphic design major who has taken many Typography classes, we hate it. When you get body text for a client, we have to edit out all those double spaces. (Thankfully, find and replace has made this easy.)
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
As I've posted elsewhere, I find that the style of subtitles, plus any extras, doesn't matter too much to me. Things that fansub groups include in their subtitles (such as karaoke and extra info pop-ups) are welcome, but I can live without them. Subtitles are there to do a job, and what counts to me is that they are legible and are timed correctly. I agree with what others posted about the lack of choices on this poll; there really should have been an "it doesn't matter" option.

Part of my stance is due to the limitations that DVD technology is capable of. When it comes to the HD-DVD / Blu-ray formats, I wouldn't be adverse to R1 companies upping the flair on their releases.
Vapors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Ericf wrote:
Quote:
Vapors said:

Not correct.

I'm only 23 but has the web already passed me? Is this how its done on the web or in all writing in general? In my profession, I don't think I've noticed legal or other docs typed with just one space. Since middle school I was told two spaces all the way through college and I can't say I ever heard that one space was a rule. Never typed on a typewriter which made it seem strange that the two space method already is considered antiquated.

Anyways, guess I was fooled on the first pic. That would be my style then. Plain, clear, simple. Nothing too fancy to have my eyes distracted from what's happening on screen.

The link was an interesting read. Learn something new everyday. Just noticed that despite the fact I do double space after a sentence, this forum defaults to one space it seems. Never noticed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5