• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2022

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustMonika

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:36 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
OK, just binged Cyberpunk Edgerunners and I have to say it was the best visuals of anything I've seen in years and the story was tightly and well written and gritty as befits the genre. OP to ED and between the songs and sound design were masterpieces and every character was unique, interesting and a blast to be with. A worthy spiritual successor to GitS. There should be a "Best" in several categories as it deserves it's own alongside Healer Girl

I just binged it a few days ago as well. Loved it but hated what happened to Rebecca at the end, lol.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:56 am Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
Alright, I decided my top 10 outside of My Dress-Up Darling would be ones that wouldn't get as much attention which is why I picked them for this pole. Meaning I removed a bunch of popular ones like Chainsaw Man and Bocchi the Rock so I could give the smaller and more underrated ones more love.

Call of the Night was hardly a smaller or underrated title; it was much-anticipated and got a lot of attention. Will agree with you that Princess Connect was pretty good, though it didn't even make it into my Top 20. (This was that stacked a year.)

KitKat1721 wrote:
9. The Girl From the Other Side - More a mood piece than anything, but holy cow what a mood piece it is. Probably the most stunning piece of animation I’ve seen all year on art style alone, and while its so short and light on actual plot you could make the argument that it is style over substance, it doesn’t ever veer too far into “beauty simply for beauty’s sake” or something that could be better served as say, a music video.

Sorry, but this is actually a 2019 title. It just finally made its way to CR this year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:01 am Reply with quote
I don't have a best/worst list, just "shows I enjoyed the most" and "shows I was disappointed in"...

Shows I enjoyed the most
Honestly, most of these are from the fall season. This wasn't an amazing year for anime as far as I'm concerned.
Dance Dance Danseur - it was a really good adaptation of a really good manga, even though I'm a bit sad that it's not continuing, because the manga is getting better and better as it goes on, and the point where the anime ends doesn't really do it any justice - there's a bunch of things about the way it "concludes" that many people had complaints about, that the manga weaves into its story and handles really well I think, but since the anime ends there anime viewers will never know that, so the ending may bring the show down for them. Anyway, that aside, this show was a treat.
Gundam: The Witch From Mercury - Having never seen a non-UC Gundam I liked other than Turn-A, I'd been wary about this, especially after IBO. But I'm finding myself loving G-Witch a ton so far. It's fun, the characters are charming, it's taking its themes seriously but not itself, overall it's just a really good time. I hope it will keep up being fun. It's something I look forward to each week, I'm going to count the days until the start of the 2nd cour.
Fabiniku/Fantasy Knockout - Nothing hugely special about this one, it was just good fun each week in an otherwise dry season.
Play It Cool Guys - Same as above, I normally don't like shorts too much, but with this show it's just the right length. Also, the characters are relatable and funny, the whole thing is just overall a snack-sized bite of fun each week.
Blue Lock - This is special in that normally sports anime are just absolutely not my thing. But something about this show makes me want to pay attention instead of just tuning out during the sport scenes/sport talk. I also like its approach to the sport as well as the social commentary.

Shows I was disappointed in
Requiem of the Rose King - I have a turbulent history with this one. I'd been reading the manga since the first chapter was published, and I still stay that the first arc is one of the best of its genre that I've ever read. Unfortunately in the second arc the manga takes a sharp turn left, and I ended up being bitterly disappointed in it, seeing it turn into something I didn't sign up for, bringing out all the clichés I hate, not knowing what to do with the elements I enjoyed... so yep, even the manga was a disappointment for me, and then even so the anime managed to be underwhelming, with its lackluster visuals. And I don't simply mean the animation: this anime is a great example of what happens when someone without any particular creativity and creative vision adapts a manga like this. It just lacked any visual flair, any personality, any impact. The colors were washed out whereas the manga revels in contrasts and strong colors on color illustrations. The compositions were stale and boring instead of dramatic and elevated. There was zero feeling of drama or even melodrama. So yeah, an all around disappontment for me.
Tiger & Bunny 2 - As painful it is to admit it for someone like me who was in love with the first season, and even loved the movies, reveled in all the fanart and fanfic and bought all the doujinshi, etc... T&B 2 kind of sucked. Sure, it was still great when it's being basically a superhero workplace comedy, carried by its eccentric cast and particular setting. But there wasn't enough of that. And T&B it didn't do drama too well even in the first season, and it just completely sucks at it in this season. In the first season the characters, their dynamics, the overall pace, the revelations, etc. carried the story over shakier grounds, but here they simply couldn't elevate it any further, and I just can't handwave away the problems. Terrible, annoying villains with the most boring agenda; new characters with no charm and no chemistry; hackneyed writing that wants us to think it's paying homage to the genre traditions, but is in fact just regurgitating tropes without doing anything interesting with them. Even back then I thought that T&B wrapped up really well and there was no need for a sequel series, and indeed this season proved me right, at least for me. The only consistently good thing in this second season was Ryan, I really enjoyed him and his relationship with Blue Rose, it was all really cute and wholesome.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
JustMonika wrote:
Alright, I decided my top 10 outside of My Dress-Up Darling would be ones that wouldn't get as much attention which is why I picked them for this pole. Meaning I removed a bunch of popular ones like Chainsaw Man and Bocchi the Rock so I could give the smaller and more underrated ones more love.

Call of the Night was hardly a smaller or underrated title; it was much-anticipated and got a lot of attention. Will agree with you that Princess Connect was pretty good, though it didn't even make it into my Top 20. (This was that stacked a year.)

KitKat1721 wrote:
9. The Girl From the Other Side - More a mood piece than anything, but holy cow what a mood piece it is. Probably the most stunning piece of animation I’ve seen all year on art style alone, and while its so short and light on actual plot you could make the argument that it is style over substance, it doesn’t ever veer too far into “beauty simply for beauty’s sake” or something that could be better served as say, a music video.

Sorry, but this is actually a 2019 title. It just finally made its way to CR this year.

I watched both seasons of Princess Connect back in the Summer and my only complaint was that it wasn't dubbed. Other than that I could easily say it's the best amime I've ever watched. Everything about it was perfect. These series by Cygames are getting more and more impressive. Just like how Akiba Maid War has once again raised the bar.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:20 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

KitKat1721 wrote:

Sorry, but I think you're confused. Smile

The 10 minute short is from 2019. The 70 minute crowdfunded film came out this year in Japan, and arrived on Crunchyroll a few months later.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:32 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Key wrote:

KitKat1721 wrote:

Sorry, but I think you're confused. Smile

The 10 minute short is from 2019. The 70 minute crowdfunded film came out this year in Japan, and arrived on Crunchyroll a few months later.

Ah, I missed that there were two different versions of it. Skipped taking a look at that one because of that. Rolling Eyes

As for the just-posted second batch, now we're starting to see some repeats. For Best Moment, Chris and Richard's picks were among my runners-up, but there was one scene from another title which I ranked even higher due its emotional impact, how satisfying it was, and how flawlessly it was set up by both its individual episode and the series as a whole:

"It's been a while, Handler One."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:03 pm Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
OK, just binged Cyberpunk Edgerunners and ...
I just binged it a few days ago as well. Loved it but hated what happened to Rebecca at the end, lol.
Me too, but past about Ep 8 it was increasingly clear that there would be no "happy" ending and I applaud the writer(s) for sticking to that. I was rooting for David and Lucy to go to the moon as promised and even thought Lucy would commit suicide there at the end given the events.

Rebecca was such a hoot to see her wild abandon and hear her pithy commentary contrasted to her "childish" and dare I say flirty appearance. A most memorable character and I was not happy to see her unceremoniously smashed in realistic if cartoon fashion but that end was consistent with the aesthetic and narrative..
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I have two favorite moments 2 from 2022 because they are nothing a like
*One is the final fight from Demon Slayer District arc. While I got bored of it due to its slow pacing carrying a cour, the animation from Ufotable turned into a Square Enix scene when Tanjiro and the harem dude defeated the demon in a ridiculously fast sequence. It blew my mind.
*The other is Vanitas falling in love for real in the anime. At first I thought the author pandered to fujoshis due to handling of designs and video sequences. However, the way Vanitas fell in love with Jeanne was so effective at exploring his character that it felt taken from a shojo manga. The regular Vanitas was a peak trash who enjoyed tricking enemies and was rarely honest. When Vanitas falls in love, the guy starts blushing a lot, remember his father/mother for the first time in the series and tries to analyze his feelings in a comical fashion. It's a shame the anime didn't end with exploring that since the manga went on hiatus too.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry Lynzee I'm person number 6 re: best moment being from Dance Dance Danseur (except I don't post on Twitter, so I'll provide solidarity here instead). Luou finding this new style and completely owning it was amazing to see happen and I loved the implications it had in the show too
Jefcat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Very glad to see someone mention Dance Dance Danseur. A really compelling show in my book and right up with Mob Psycho and Blue Lock on my list of favorites for this year.
Nice to see Orbital Children get a mention too. A bit of a mess, but compelling enough for me to have watched it twice through and elements of it have stayed with me too.

Kotaro Lives Alone really deserves a mention too. Whimsy and pathos, not easy to pull off well. And Kotaro ultimately had genuine charm.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Top 10 Moments this year in no particular order:

10. Anya punching Damian (Spy X Family)
9. Ranko shoots opponents to the beat (Akiba Maid War)
8. spoiler[Kobeni lets it all out in episode 9] (Chainsaw Man)
7. After teasing her in cour 1, spoiler[Vanitas fell hard for Jeanne] (Case Study of Vanitas)
6. spoiler[Ko kisses Nazuna] (Call of the Night)
5. spoiler[Bojji defeats King Bosse] (Ranking of Kings)
4. spoiler[Aharen and Raido express their feelings for each other] (Aharen-san wa Hakarenai)
3. spoiler[Tokyo Esperion defeats Musashino thanks to Ashito, Ohtomo and Tachibana] (Aoashi)
2. spoiler[Dabi's Dance]
1. That scene, you know, the one in bed (My Dress-up Darling)
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Just a thought. The season finale episode for Gundam The Witch from Mercury is not out yet so what happens if that episode ended up being the biggest moment? Wouldn't that count for 2022?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:03 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Just a thought. The season finale episode for Gundam The Witch from Mercury is not out yet so what happens if that episode ended up being the biggest moment? Wouldn't that count for 2022?

Nope. The episode won't air until 2023, so it'll be considered eligible for mention/superlatives/whatever for that year. For a similar example, the last two episodes of 86 were considered eligible for 2022 superlatives, since they aired in January '22.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:07 pm Reply with quote
For best moments of 2022(that I can recall), I'd have to agree with James on Aki's daily routine from CSM, which for me would be tied with Bocchi saving the show in episode 8(closely followed by Bocchi/Nijika's conversation later that episode).
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Favorite episode/moment is really tough as always. Beyond the obligatory Dance Dance Danseur Ep 5 plug (Lynzee, there are dozens of us!!), almost every series on my list had a standout moment. Reigen's apology to Mob hit hard, Kaguya's big finale was a triumph, and I wouldn't even know where to begin with Made in Abyss' revelations. Even series that didn't make my top ten had their own fair share of highlights (ex. Dress-Up Darling's beach scene, Dabi's Dance, Spy x Family's castle chase, etc..) But I might actually have to go with an episode I'm not even technically caught up to yet. Going through my list... I don't think anything else really tops it.

One Piece Episode 1015 - The only reason it's not on the list is because I'm still just in the early Wano episodes. But since I'm not sure it'll get mentioned elsewhere here (understandably so given One Piece's length), I'd be remiss not to bring it up. Even without every bit of context, it's a standout, stunning hallmark for the entire series, both on an artistic and emotional level. Anything you could want in an amazing episode of television, it has it. Expressive and detailed animation, dynamic and memorable storyboarding, pitch-perfect use of color and light, a focused script where each moment bleeds into the next with ease... I could really go on. And if we were going strictly by "moments" instead of an entire episode, I'd had difficulty choosing one. That scene of Yamato running out to the cliffside as Ace's vivre card burns away alone choked me up even before I knew who Yamato was. It actively feels wrong to put any other episode from this year above it.
(HM: Cyberpunk Edgerunners Ep 6)

Last edited by KitKat1721 on Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12