• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Rurouni Kenshin TV Anime Reveals Cast, Staff, 2023 Premiere on Noitamina

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:55 am Reply with quote
Rurouni Kenshin is the Jeeper Creepers of anime and manga. It’s hard to separate the artist if they are pedos. Same with Roman Polanski.
TiagoCosta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:02 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
The issues with Watsuki most likely mean that the RK reboot is doubtful to be licensed and streamed, or if there’s an auto-licensing condition still in effect it won’t be advertised above the bare minimum and won’t receive a dub. It doesn’t matter if it’s noitaminA or not, I don’t think US companies want to touch RK with a ten foot pole, even if RK might still be lucrative. I love RK despite everything but separating artist from the art is uniquely difficult for many due to the nature of what Watsuki was caught doing. And clearly judging by this thread, time hasn’t dulled the wounds. Most likely never will. And any company who gets involved with this show, willingly or out of obligation, most likely knows that they’ll be dealing with a PR black eye that might not be worth it.

We’ll see what happens, of course, but I have my doubts that this will see wide US distribution unless there’s an auto-license trigger that forces a distributor to do so.

Already confirmed that Aniplex of America has it.
King Chicken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:16 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
The issues with Watsuki most likely mean that the RK reboot is doubtful to be licensed and streamed

Any company that chooses to prioritize being a moral guardian instead of delivering a highly request product to their fans and customers is not one worth supporting. Thankfully it appears Aniplex of America has more integrity than Viz does and treats people like individual people with their own agency and lets us consumers make the choice ourselves rather than doing it for us.
db105

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:26 am Reply with quote
Great news. I loved the manga and the anime, while good, had a lot of filler and didn't adapt the whole story. I'm hoping they get it right.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:28 am Reply with quote
I think the live action movies are actually the best adaptation of the material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:50 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
They changed the voices! Kenshin is now voiced by a man!
There was an article early in the year about something Megumi Ogata had said about voicing male characters, I made a comment observing that you see more males voice young boys now, aside from pre-teens. And someone brought up RK.
Quote:
This actually makes me wonder now if in the event they decide to use a completely new voice cast for the upcoming Kenshin remake if they'll actually have a man play him in the sub rather than the original voice actress or a new actress
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:59 am Reply with quote
This is what it is, sigh, but if Noitamina doing a mainstream Shounen Jump battle anime doesn´t prove that the purpose of the block was lost years ago then I don´t know what can. Probably in 2016 with Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress? Lol.

Would be funny if Liden Films end up tanking this early into the run. I love the manga but Watsuki deserves nothing less than the hack masters. The Final has its issues and it´s kinda weird that 5 film is a standalone prequel (but so was the OVA version) yet I have to agree that Keishi Ōtomo delivered the definitive adaptation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:15 am Reply with quote
I figured there wouldn't be any point in a remake if it wasn't adapting the entire original manga, but what's important is they don't screw up the stuff that had already been adapted and finally properly adapt the Jinchu arc.

The visuals look pretty nice in the trailer, as well as ending on Kenshin meeting Kaoru, so hopefully that holds up to the actual series. The director seems to have a solid track record.

I would have never expected to see Soma Saito and Rie Takahashi reunited as Kenshin and Kaoru but they sound good so far. It'll be nice to hear Saito voice an actually decent, if complex, character again.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:30 am Reply with quote
Hm...

I think this will need at least 5 cours for a proper full adaptation.
Any less than that and it will be similar to the Shaman King reboot.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:38 am Reply with quote
Given AoA licensed this, I wonder if they'll let the streamer dub it their way, or they'll commission BangZoom as usual?
allnightclerk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:44 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this for years and the trailer looks amazing. This is the dream adaption us Kenshin fans have been waiting for for decades. I'm so glad it's finally happening.
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:41 am Reply with quote
The designs and animation look really great.
catone2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:59 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
The issues with Watsuki most likely mean that the RK reboot is doubtful to be licensed and streamed, or if there’s an auto-licensing condition still in effect it won’t be advertised above the bare minimum and won’t receive a dub. It doesn’t matter if it’s noitaminA or not, I don’t think US companies want to touch RK with a ten foot pole, even if RK might still be lucrative. I love RK despite everything but separating artist from the art is uniquely difficult for many due to the nature of what Watsuki was caught doing. And clearly judging by this thread, time hasn’t dulled the wounds. Most likely never will. And any company who gets involved with this show, willingly or out of obligation, most likely knows that they’ll be dealing with a PR black eye that might not be worth it.

We’ll see what happens, of course, but I have my doubts that this will see wide US distribution unless there’s an auto-license trigger that forces a distributor to do so.

The trailer was english subbed on stream and Aniplex Online Fest is handled by their American branch, too lol. VIZ dropping the manga is still one of the stupidest decisions.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:24 am Reply with quote
catone2 wrote:
VIZ dropping the manga is still one of the stupidest decisions.

Yeah, I also hate when companies have standards. Rolling Eyes
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:28 am Reply with quote
King Chicken wrote:
Any company that chooses to prioritize being a moral guardian instead of delivering a highly request product to their fans and customers is not one worth supporting.

The problem with your argument though is company’s have the right to distance themselves from an individual or aspect associated with them that’s considered problematic. Since continuing to associate themselves with such problematic entities can bring a lot of unwanted attention & drama even potentially impacting their bottom line.

And in this particular case what Watsuki did was objectively problematic. This occupies the same space as what Kenya Suzuki did or “tried” to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12