• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: High Guardian Spice, Onyx Equinox Creators Discuss the Shows' Low Budgets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niello

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:09 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
So does this mean we can officially put to rest the old "budget != animation quality" argument people have been making for many years now? Seems we heard it straight from the source that low or mismanaged budget leads to low quality work.

That statement is still perfectly valid and true. In anime it's use for regular production where it's been confirmed times and times again by industry insiders that TV anime generally all have similar budget.the main point of the statement is that it's the production schedule part on top of other factors that effect the quality way more than budget ever does.

It's also talking about the Japanese side of things where animators regularly work themselves to the point of no sleep and are used to low budget production. Meanwhile, you're applying it to a western production with a unique circumstance and a different pipeline Rolling Eyes
Bvick00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:24 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
SrNagasaki wrote:
if what they are looking for are excuses to put their animated trash in the Otaku culture, it doesn't work here. His stupid Western ideologies would only ruin anime and manga as it did with comics and Geek culture.

Yeah you might want to take this sorry excuse for a take back to the pre 10’s where it belongs. If anything ruined or rather has nearly ruined these mediums it’s people gatekeeping and soap boxing often times with blatantly discriminatory rhetoric that they insist isn’t what it seems.

Maybe you should read this Forbes article about "gatekeeping" : https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2022/01/05/fans-arent-gatekeeping-anything-theyre-just-wary-of-would-be-dictators-trying-to-take-over-their-hobbies/?sh=1a9c0d914fc1

Here's a quote from the article:
Picking a specific example in the case of anime, back in the day many anime were not available outside of Japan. This meant if you wanted to watch something like The Vision of Escaflowne, you joined an anime club, attended its meetings and acquired fansubbed versions of the anime on VHS tapes.
This meant the people in charge of said anime club could actually gatekeep when it came to a fan’s access to anime.
In the decades since, anime such as Escaflowne are now widely available on Blu-ray and also on various streaming services, not only in Japan but also internationally as well.
Put simply, if you are a current anime fan then there is no-one gatekeeping you from acquiring various anime works and enjoying them as a hobby. You don’t need to befriend the higher-ups in an anime club, you can just buy it and watch it whenever and wherever you want.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Bvick00 wrote:
Netflix probably would have loved to air your show

And then cancel it after one season.

This is not the Cowboy Bepop LA adaptation Rolling Eyes .If anything else I feel both shows would have benefitted immensely from being picked up by Netflix considering their repertoire of LGBT+ representation in their animated shows (HGS) and their promotion of anime and anime style shows(Onyx Equinox)

livin_large wrote:
Bvick00 wrote:
On another note, I have to disagree with what Onyx Equinox creator Sofia Alexander said
"I wouldn't have been able to represent LGBT+ characters or a story about trauma and grief anywhere else"
Netflix probably would have loved to air your show

That comment did seem odd because literally every American cartoon made these days has LGBT stuff in it. If anything, it's rarer to find shows that don't. Comic books too, where DC and Marvel seem to announce every other week that a superhero has comes out as gay. These shows would have fit right in on Cartoon Network or Netflix with no problem at all so it's puzzling why Crunchyroll was so vital to their work outside of wanting to be labeled "anime".

I could see HGS airing on Cartoon Network, if they toned down the at times jarring, out of the blue depictions of violence and swearing present in the show. Whereas Onyx Equinox is too dark and violent for CN standards, it would have instead aired on Adult Swim.
IG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah I really doubt it has to do with the budget.Even if the budget was better it would still be a terrible show.It might look better, but that was it
BonusStage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Bvick00 wrote:
Put simply, if you are a current anime fan then there is no-one gatekeeping you from acquiring various anime works and enjoying them as a hobby. You don’t need to befriend the higher-ups in an anime club, you can just buy it and watch it whenever and wherever you want.[/b]

Gatekeeping is a word that has shifted over time. I originally remember it being used to describe who was allowed to call themselves a fan of something if they didn't meet certain arbitrary standards. You're not a true fan of Harry Potter if you've only seen the movies and never read the books, or you're not a true gamer if you don't play a specific game or genre. These days it's mainly used for fandom policing. Usually to try to keep people with certain political leanings out of a fandom or hobby. It's not very relevant overall though because there's many different communities and places fans congregate. It's mainly just for small gated communities and spaces rather than actual fandoms as a whole.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:16 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
". That would make sense if somehow writers were forced to finish work in X (small number) hours because they were paid Y (another small number) $/hr. But I'm confident that isn't the case
...I take it you've never had to write for a project like this, then, because yes that is absolutely a part of it. ...Professional level fiction writing, on the scale of a full-length season of TV, isn't something a couple people can do in a few days or weeks...
I haven't myself but I only have to look at any network show over the last 50 years to know that industry standard is to write a complete screenplay in not more than 4 days. Plus, Gene Roddenberry's Making of Star Trek gives quite an in-depth example. Take LA Law, a one hour drama. Like most it was created by two people who were the series creators and head writers and along with a couple of other head writers wrote the majority of the show. As typical, they had a staff of 4-5 associate writers in addition at any time (30 over the 8 years run) and while interviews disclosed they sometimes had 16 hour stints per day that would make 512 man-hours per episode.

HGS was a 24 minute per episode show with a staff of 5 writers and going from the previous metric, it should have taken 256 man-hours per show so they should have been able to write the whole season in 614 hours or about 40 16 hour days. About 1.5 months and with a generous salary of $100k/year that is $30k/person. That's not enough for anyone to live on in the US so that means they have other jobs. The real fallacy here is that if they were paid more, the writing would have been better. If experience teaches anything, it is that some people are good at what they do and some aren't and it shows in the output quality given the same time constraints.
redaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:51 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Bisuketto wrote:
The budget may be low but I don't buy it. The story, quality, and general feel of the show was substandard. You can only blame so much on the budget.

Maybe take responsibility and recognize they just didn't have a good product?

Did you even read Raye's Twitter thread? They weren't even allowed to go back and fix any mistakes they made, story and animation-wise. The whole thing is Crunchyroll's fault because they set HGS up to fail with their own bad decisions, both in marketing and pushing the team to their limit.

HSG set itself up to fail since the reveal trailer was only a name and 15 minute the studio talking about themselves instead of trying to sell you the product.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:24 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
lossthief wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
". That would make sense if somehow writers were forced to finish work in X (small number) hours because they were paid Y (another small number) $/hr. But I'm confident that isn't the case
...I take it you've never had to write for a project like this, then, because yes that is absolutely a part of it. ...Professional level fiction writing, on the scale of a full-length season of TV, isn't something a couple people can do in a few days or weeks...
I haven't myself but I only have to look at any network show over the last 50 years to know that industry standard is to write a complete screenplay in not more than 4 days. Plus, Gene Roddenberry's Making of Star Trek gives quite an in-depth example. Take LA Law, a one hour drama. Like most it was created by two people who were the series creators and head writers and along with a couple of other head writers wrote the majority of the show. As typical, they had a staff of 4-5 associate writers in addition at any time (30 over the 8 years run) and while interviews disclosed they sometimes had 16 hour stints per day that would make 512 man-hours per episode.

HGS was a 24 minute per episode show with a staff of 5 writers and going from the previous metric, it should have taken 256 man-hours per show so they should have been able to write the whole season in 614 hours or about 40 16 hour days. About 1.5 months and with a generous salary of $100k/year that is $30k/person. That's not enough for anyone to live on in the US so that means they have other jobs. The real fallacy here is that if they were paid more, the writing would have been better. If experience teaches anything, it is that some people are good at what they do and some aren't and it shows in the output quality given the same time constraints.

Thank you for continuing to prove you really really don’t know how reality operates. Also bonus points for using shows from 1966 and 1986 as if things didn’t change between those two times at all, and apparently not since. Stunning work. Also advise to lay off the fantasy math because as you put, “some people are good at what they do and some aren’t and it shows.”
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:28 am Reply with quote
At the end of the day, is a low budget a factor in a show doing poorly? It sure doesn’t help, and by Alexander’s testimony, Raye went in blind, without any idea of what to expect, something her team learned from to ensure they wouldn’t make the same mistakes. I kind of get Raye being defensive too, since it was clear he did have a lot of passion invested in the project before it became an internet punching bag. I imagine if he got a do over, a lot would be done differently.

I don’t know if more money would have helped, there were clearly a lot of issues present and throwing money at them wouldn’t fix all of them, but it’s clear all parties involved view this as a learning experience that is over and done with.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Bvick00 wrote:
This is not the Cowboy Bepop LA adaptation Rolling Eyes .

Cowboy Bebop is not the only netflix series to be cancelled in under 3 seasons hence the snark. You also don't need to have a series rife with wonky writing, direction, iffy performances etc to get a short run.

You have had good series or series that potentially could've gotten better as it went on get cancelled pretty fast.

BonusStage wrote:

Gatekeeping is a word that has shifted over time. I originally remember it being used to describe who was allowed to call themselves a fan of something if they didn't meet certain arbitrary standards. You're not a true fan of Harry Potter if you've only seen the movies and never read the books, or you're not a true gamer if you don't play a specific game or genre. These days it's mainly used for fandom policing. Usually to try to keep people with certain political leanings out of a fandom or hobby. It's not very relevant overall though because there's many different communities and places fans congregate.

I would say it is relevant especially when you still see people complaining about things such as diversity in certain mediums or continuing to harass specific groups in certain fandoms i.e. females.
livin_large

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:26 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
You have had good series or series that potentially could've gotten better as it went on get cancelled pretty fast.

You make it sound like Netflix has a vendetta against specific shows or something. If a show got canned after one season, it's because no one watched it and it didn't bring in money 99 times out of 100.

Beatdigga wrote:
At the end of the day, is a low budget a factor in a show doing poorly?

I would say no. You look at the average Adult Swim show and they have like minimal budgets. Aqua Teen Hunger Force lasted 140 episodes. Smiling Friends came out the other week and seems to be doing well despite having the same low budget look.

I never watched High Guardian Spice or Onyx Equinox since they didn't seem to appeal to me. The only thing I know about High Guardian Spice are a few clips people posted on Twitter back when it came out making fun of it. I think the shows main issue was it was aiming for an audience that wasn't the audience that mostly are into anime and use Crunchyroll. Remember that Mighty Number 9 trailer than insulted anime fans and stuff who were the target audience for a Mega Man spiritual successor? Mismanagement.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
kawaiibunny3 wrote:

I feel like people who are determined to hate this show are going to hate it no matter what,

I mean, that was clear from day 1, when Crunchyroll dropped a (terrible) trailer that said nothing except "minorities are working on this show!" and everyone on 4chan decided that was enough reason to despise it.

HGS absolutely had some quality issues, but about 2/3rds of the people hating on it would still hate it just as much if the show looked better than a Miyazaki film.

Yeah, the social justice pandering was a bit much. Having minorities in shows, even anime, is not a problem at all. The problem lies in putting it in people's faces that you're a minority. I know, I sound like a right wing nut job when I say that, but even I as a classical liberal am pretty sick of the in-your-face activism in every show out nowadays.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She said that she was ultimately grateful to Crunchyroll: "I wouldn't have been able to represent LGBT+ characters or a story about trauma and grief anywhere else."

...Cartoon Network?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Sure sounds like a lot of people seem to believe that TV shows and movies get written by one single extremely talented writer who nails the thing on the first try without it being looked over by a group of editors and then going through a series of rewrites to tighten it up into the best thing they could possibly make it. It's no wonder they don't understand why a minimal amount of money doesn't just automatically make a well-written show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChomboTheMahjongSpider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:10 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
I feel like people who are determined to hate this show are going to hate it no matter what, and I just hope these same people are watching and lifting up Precure, Pripara and Kiratto Pri-chan on Crunchyroll if supporting anime for young girls is so darn important to them.

"Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region: Tropical-Rouge! Precure"

I don't care about HGS, but I'd be giving Crunchyroll my money for Precure. However, they seem uninterested in taking it.
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Onyx Equinox had some middling animation itself, although not as bad as High Guardian Spice. Onyx was at least consistent with its art. I hope that Onyx gets a second season and that the time and budget increases for it at least. It was some good stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4