• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Posts Opening Credits

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I assume this is going to be like most Netflix shows and s1 will be like six or seven hour long episodes and they haven't casted Ed yet.

This season is gonna have 10 episodes.
frubam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
neptun1 wrote:
Did they eliminate Ed? I think they eliminate Ed.

They did confirm ed is in the show but are keeping the story behind ed and who's they cast a secret. They must have some surprise in store there.

I hope so. The "reveal" about Ed and 'that special guest" near the end of the tv series was really never expounded upon, and I always wondered about the guy and what he was about, but he left about as soon as he came. Wouldn't mind seeing more to his story.
Aresef

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I like it, I feel like Netflix is sending up all the signals to say "we're not gonna mess this up." I just have two concerns.

I worry about how much the actual show will try to "look" like the anime. Speed Racer succeeded at that but that's risky here.

Also, I worry about how much smoking will be in the show. Different times and all that.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Worst fears confirmed. It's clear they have no ****ing idea what they're doing.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:48 am Reply with quote
Looks like how a Japanese production would've done Cowboy Bebop
Dayraven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Either Ed is gone, or they are deliberately hiding her.

The shot at the end of the opening with everyone in grey squares has a conspicuous blank bit which looks reserved for Ed.
rakeka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:46 am Reply with quote
Clearly people doesn’t like their shows adapted after they are done or they just hate Netflix. Looks fine, opening doesn’t mean the whole adaptation will look/feel like this. Feels nice they tried to do do an opening that felt bebop-like most likely as a homage. I’ll wait, watch and decide. Worst case, the anime will always be there.
meruru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:57 am Reply with quote
Personally I thought it looks all right. Maybe not amazing, but not so bad as others seem to think. The main criticism I have is that it's uninspired. The original was very inspired, creative, iconic. Artists clearly put a lot of thought into it to create that opening. This is mostly just copying another artist's genius. Again, I don't think it's bad, but I think one of the things people like about Cowboy Bebop is the artistry. Just copying it won't hit the same. I feel like it's likely that I won't hate the live action, but I'll feel like why bother? A lot of the appeal of the original was the beauty and inspiration of the artists including the animators. Why treat a work of art like a franchise that needs more installments? I'm planning to still watch at least the first episode though because even if I feel that way, seeing it isn't going to ruin the original.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:24 am Reply with quote
I think that the OP is fine tbh.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:00 am Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Production Staff: "We don't want to just remake the show because everyone has already seen that."

Opening: "Look forward to us remaking all your favorite episodes!"

I am a bit confused on this direction after the previous statements about being worried about people comparing it to the anime and not wanting it to be like the anime since it's already been done only to release a shot-for-shot recreation of the anime opening.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote
It looks fine to me; I get the feeling they may actually have alot of fun with this show.

I really don't understand all the drama about this show.

I will definitely be watching!

Cowboy Bebop got me into Japanese anime over a decade ago. Sadly, there have been no new seasons (except a movie) since then. So I will go into this show with an over mind.

Last edited by YesNoMaybe on Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote
It feels like a high-quality cosplay project. Clearly an imitation, and clearly in a medium it wasn't built for, but with some effort and money put into it.

Which mostly just makes me want to re-watch the original series. I've never seen a live-action anime series that made me think otherwise, though, so maybe I'm not the target audience.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:05 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
It feels like a high-quality cosplay project. Clearly an imitation, and clearly in a medium it wasn't built for, but with some effort and money put into it.

Which mostly just makes me want to re-watch the original series. I've never seen a live-action anime series that made me think otherwise, though, so maybe I'm not the target audience.

Maybe you should check out 'Alice in borderland' on Netflix. That show was way better than I could imagine!

'Alice in borderland' was my first Japanese live-action show base off of an anime/manga series that I actually watch from start to finish.

I would give it a B+
simona.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:18 am Reply with quote
looks dreadful to me. the only really cool bit in this whole mess is Mustafa Shakir; he's badass and looks the part.
Akezura

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Let's be honest: had they done their own thing, people would have attacked it for being unfaithful. They knew this, so they just 1:1 remade the original....so now people are attacking it for being too similar.

idk whether or not this series will suck but theres a very small chance the fandom will like it even if it doesn't
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6