• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Detective Conan Anime Remakes 'Moonlight Sonata Murder Case' Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:12 am Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
AutoOps007 wrote:
Why are people so up in arms about this? These two episodes are not gonna stop the anime from progressing. It would've just been fillers or re-runs, if it wasn't this. And even if it were in place of canon episodes, it's still only two weeks. If you care about the series progressing, than read the manga, cause the anime is always gonna be mostly filler and re-runs, given the breaks the author takes nowadays.

Or the author could speed up or pull a One Piece and go into great detail about the world.

Why would the author change the formula that has worked for over two decades? It's one of the highest-grossing manga franchises of all time and is extremely successful. You may not like how the series is structured, but a lot of other people do. There is no need to change the formula simply to progress the plot faster.

Not every series has to go into great detail about the world like One Piece. Conan going at a slower pace and dropping small hints and details here and there is what makes the series successful.

Do you even like this series, or why do you even care? It's one thing to have expectations for a manga, but it's another thing to expect the author to make drastic changes to how the series is structured to suit your desires. You can't expect the series to be something it's not.

Besides, the author has already stopped drawing irrelevant cases that don't contribute to the plot at all for a couple of years now. The manga used to have a lot of these cases, but ever since he's been taking breaks for the last few years, those have now stopped. So if you were to read the manga from where the point is at now (or current arc), you will be getting progression every chapter. Not a lot, as that is the formula, but that's all I can say to you if you really are a fan of this series who wants to actually finish the series.

Last edited by AutoOps007 on Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:29 am Reply with quote
I won´t watch this but my guess was right.
I am not so sure how well the plot will play with an American or European audience these days due to the villain but the franchise is Japan-focused so it's a moot point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:26 pm Reply with quote
There are multiple reasons for their continued status quo. I think the biggest reason is just that Japan can get seriously stuck in their comfortable routines. The show has been on for 25 years, it's now an institution. It's what you watch with the family on Saturday night. Aoyama could finish the manga series and I think that NNS would figure out a way to keep the show going anyway, keeping Conan a kid and solving cases on TV to join Sazae and Maruko and Doreamon and Shin as something that has no reason to keep going other than Japan refuses to stop watching.

I personally do get serious burn-out on the anime originals. SO MANY of them are bad. Bad motives (but that's often true of Aoyama too), solutions based on last minute things. Horrible characters. Plot holes to drive a truck through. Sometimes just bad animation. I end up stopping for a while and binging to catch up.

Granted, occasionally they get kind of creative or pleasantly weird too. They've at least upped their Detective Boy cases to be some of the strangest... instead of the weakest (lets go camping and see someone die) cases.

I'm only 4 behind right now, mainly because I want to make the time to watch the 3-parter at one sitting.

BUT, They long ago got too caught up. There's a slightly larger buffer of 11 cases right now, but at 2-3 episodes per case, that would still equal less than a year's worth of episodes if they completely got rid of filler and rebroadcasts and "remasters."

I personally wish they would take a break from Conan to broadcast a spin-off mini-series like that time they broadcast the Kaito Kid miniseries for a few weeks. Both Zero's Tea Time and one Police Academy manga have started and ended in the last few years. fans LOVE Zero (well, other fans- I'm ambivalent). Why not make that one into an anime?

As for the Moonlight Sonata case. I've always wondered if it has a so-far unrevealed connection to the larger BO plot. There's just something fishy about it- yet another case of and elder dying mysteriously and leaving the kid behind. The connection of those cases have always intrigued me.
...Although, I admit it could just be one of Aoyama's fall-back plots (which the originals also overuse). Like a "master" stealing the work of the apprentice/employee so the apprentice kills the master. They just did one of those (spoiler[How dare he take credit for my donuts! He must Die!])
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I personally wish they would take a break from Conan to broadcast a spin-off mini-series like that time they broadcast the Kaito Kid miniseries for a few weeks. Both Zero's Tea Time and one Police Academy manga have started and ended in the last few years. fans LOVE Zero (well, other fans- I'm ambivalent). Why not make that one into an anime?

They probably will, considering ZTT sold 600k in its debut week. But the anime production cycle is surprisingly longer than what people think it is. Granted it is not making it from scratch, but I don't know if they are going for the MK 2010 model (in-house) or the MK 2014 model ("outsourced" to another studio).

The annual films float the entire franchise. They lost the opportunity to make that money last year as M24 was delayed. So they are doing lots of stuff to make the money back. If I were them, making some spin-off series will definitely be one of many ways. This franchise doesn't need money per se, but I am sure they would be happy earn more.

This is why this commemorative project for the 1000th episode is quite important. It is part of their marketing campaign to increase visibility to the entire franchise, hopefully bringing more ticket sales to the upcoming M24. They are even releasing M24 overseas relatively close to the Japanese release date to concentrate the hype.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
Why would the author change the formula that has worked for over two decades? It's one of the highest-grossing manga franchises of all time and is extremely successful. You may not like how the series is structured, but a lot of other people do. There is no need to change the formula simply to progress the plot faster.

Not every series has to go into great detail about the world like One Piece. Conan going at a slower pace and dropping small hints and details here and there is what makes the series successful.

Do you even like this series, or why do you even care? It's one thing to have expectations for a manga, but it's another thing to expect the author to make drastic changes to how the series is structured to suit your desires. You can't expect the series to be something it's not.

Besides, the author has already stopped drawing irrelevant cases that don't contribute to the plot at all for a couple of years now. The manga used to have a lot of these cases, but ever since he's been taking breaks for the last few years, those have now stopped. So if you were to read the manga from where the point is at now (or current arc), you will be getting progression every chapter. Not a lot, as that is the formula, but that's all I can say to you if you really are a fan of this series who wants to actually finish the series.

At one point, yes I like the series. That said when money is tight you make sacrifices, and I'd rather spend my money on a completed story than an ongoing one. Please get off your high horse, I was just stating my thought. Didn't think anyone would give a sh*t.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:19 pm Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
AutoOps007 wrote:

At one point, yes I like the series. That said when money is tight you make sacrifices, and I'd rather spend my money on a completed story than an ongoing one. Please get off your high horse, I was just stating my thought. Didn't think anyone would give a sh*t.

This isn't about me getting up on a high horse, this is me defending the author and studio in response to unwarranted backlash, and giving my opinion. As a consumer you can have your reasons for supporting or not supporting a series, but please, look at the reality and be reasonable with your expectations. No one is going to cater to whatever personal reasons you may have. All I'm saying is if you look at the situation the series is in right now (given the context of just how successful the series is in Japan, Gosho's health, small changes that had already been made to speed things up), try to understand why things are the way they are, and accept the reality your unrealistic expectations are never happening, you won't get so upset about a couple of filler episodes that won't delay the manga at all.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:42 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
This isn't about me getting up on a high horse, this is me defending the author and studio in response to unwarranted backlash, and giving my opinion. As a consumer you can have your reasons for supporting or not supporting a series, but please, look at the reality and be reasonable with your expectations. No one is going to cater to whatever personal reasons you may have. All I'm saying is if you look at the situation the series is in right now (given the context of just how successful the series is in Japan, Gosho's health, small changes that had already been made to speed things up), try to understand why things are the way they are, and accept the reality your unrealistic expectations are never happening, you won't get so upset about a couple of filler episodes that won't delay the manga at all.

I'm. Not. Giving. Backlash. You are the one considering this backlash and rushing to defend a man and studio that make at six figures at least, there isn't a damn thing I could say that would require defense.

Also, I don't expect any of my dumb ideas to be seriously considered, I'm just venting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3