• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astra Lost in Space (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:13 am Reply with quote
But the fact that it worked implies that they live in a time when such things could work. If after Aries proposed her thing Zack responded with "that's impossible," only to be motivated by one of those survival rules, I could see your point. But he responded as if it just hadn't occurred to him yet.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:03 am Reply with quote
They also specified that the ship could be separated out, like the feature is not universal among ships. Aries also happens to have perfect photographic memory, and was not wallowing in the hopelessness of the situation that even stoic Zack seemed to have fallen into last episode. He may have come to the answer eventually, but this was only a few hours after Zack had been blaming himself for getting stuck there in the first place.

It seemed pretty clear last episode that even Zack was devastated by their current situation. his fiancée may have been the one on the ground crying, but by the sheet fact with how he was acting compared to other situation, pointed to him not nearly being able to stay positive to look for the loop hole that the most positive person among them could.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

I kind of saw this coming.. what was left BUT Planet of the Apes but.

And I have to leave that as a period because of certain plot points the situation can either be what it looks like, what it doesn't look like or be something else entirely; It's like viewing a planet 2000 light years away and wondering if author knows that image is 2000 years in the past, that sort of thing.

I'll just say the phrase "plate tectonics theory" and leave it at that.

This show wasn't kidding when it said it was at times science fiction or romantic comedy. Now I know the series is using that as an excuse for bad science.

Which reminds me that I never explained my helmet complaint: Think bacteria, one of life's great killers. You either have quarantine procedures, super advanced science to counter it like Star Trek... their idea teleportation is the most insane thing in the Universe if used correctly and "teleportation" is lowest on that list... or outright ignorance in the case of science fantasy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:47 am Reply with quote
I had actually become quite noticeable that none of them had ever said Earth, and with Polina's freak-out over something have supposed to happen, it already look pointed that she may be from Earth, but no one else was. Leaving it to a possibility that reading the time Polina went away was wrong, with an entirely different calendar, yet technology apparently being much the same. Although, questions then about dogtags and wreck lasting for 2,000 years.

Also, confirmation that many of the parents were pretty awful, having their clones born to be used as vessels of their rebirth. Things had already been pointing to this since it was hinted that Zack's father worked on implanting memories, Quitterie's mother's science stuff, the event of DNA sequencing, and so on. Does this mean that they may have killed Funicia's adoptive mother. But still, a couple outliers with things like what exactly is Aries' deal, the closest info we can get is the Seira connection. Meaning that Charce is also under suspicion of not the same as the others, since no evidence that his medieval Amish royal parents are his clone parent. For all we know, if things were set up for there to be a survival on the other end with a ship, while the parents think they all died in vacuum, maybe Charce is already in his clone body, if his story is real, and he was getting a new Seira out of it? So I have eyes on Charce if he plans to get rid of everyone but Aries towards the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Knew it! Of course the spoiler[traitor is Charce, tried doing the deed wormhole killing them with being the last one]. His story so far is that he was not expected to survive, with their ship possibly being an anomaly of the whole Earth plotline. And was maybe willing to die for the mission. Which again makes me wonder if Perhaps his story was not all his own, and the king, his original, is getting something out of it like they have shared memories or something, along the lines of the Seira thing.

The Earth and Astra plotline is probably more crazy. Polina being reasonably freaked out by the reveal that knowing history is apparently something fringe, with very few books on the subjects that Aries is practically an expert amongst the group, in supposedly the history of Astra supposedly differing with a WWIII during the Cuban missile crisis. Now they supposedly have a utopian future where countries are considered archaic, presumably a shared language of English is adopted (only Aries seems to have heard of Russia/n). gun free society has been adopted, and things seem pretty much too good. Sure books might as a physical sense be seen as old that far in the future, but they seem familiar with books, just that history ones are rare. Almost like some sort of exodus like book burning to hide things.

Really can't predict exactly what the deal is, no way we had evidence before now about alternate planets that are similar to Earth. For all known, half the population or something died when the asteroid hit, maybe left behind, and has been covered up by setting all records back to near 1962, made up a war to explain the losses, and built up the fake history where everything ended up happy. Rather than Certain groups deciding they deserved to be the only ones saved to start their utopia on Astra. Unless some sort of other alternate worlds are in play.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the "artificial wormhole" put them in low orbit over a dead frozen Earth rather than low orbit over thier planet of origin, "Astra". It's better then putting the lost ones in low orbit around a planet but also 5000 light years away... which would like hitting a bullseye on a dartboard blindfolded if it wasn't done intentionally. And this happens because it's another dimension.... maybe.

Oh and the Ark XII was ready for them because an asteroid hit the Earth plunging it into a cataclysmic winter but only sent the ship, which was "on" the planet's surface, into orbit safely?

Is it too late for the author to make another... ok, I finally realized what's been bothering me.... If you have a way to make artificial wormholes, why not use that on the asteroid? It's just like Armageddon but only dumber somehow. "It's easier to train miners to be astronauts than astronauts to be miners. By the way, we also have FTL travel and the ability to make our own wormholes..... so... why is an asteroid still a threat again? Land on it and swiss cheese the bastard. Lower the mass so it'll burn up in atmosphere. This isn't rocket science... well, it is but it's also physics and chemistry."

I can finally say I feel dumber for having watched this show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Is it too late for the author to make another... ok, I finally realized what's been bothering me.... If you have a way to make artificial wormholes, why not use that on the asteroid? It's just like Armageddon but only dumber somehow. "It's easier to train miners to be astronauts than astronauts to be miners. By the way, we also have FTL travel and the ability to make our own wormholes..... so... why is an asteroid still a threat again? Land on it and swiss cheese the bastard. Lower the mass so it'll burn up in atmosphere. This isn't rocket science... well, it is but it's also physics and chemistry."

Could be multiple reasons. Like maybe they cannot get wormholes that large without them doing some strange physics thing like turning into a blackhole. And they might not be able to land on an asteroid for it being too fast to land on it at their engine speed, while FTL is too fast. There could be a big difference between what they can achieve via engine power, and needing to bypass normal physics that FTL would require, with simply not being precise enough to exit out of FTL and onto an asteroid that would be going faster than them. Beyond rocket science, it could be something like quantum-physics science, that they could not guarantee they could pull off with their ships, which they instead could use in a more reliable method.

When confronted with why science beyond our understanding is not used the way you think that it could be used, don't just assume the sci-fi is being dumb by not using it in that way, but maybe its mechanics are not so simple. Not to just hate on something it is popular to be hated on, by I was not comfortable with how The Last Jedi turned something like hyper space jump into being able to be used as an incredibly effective suicide weapon, because it begs why the idea was never used before. I know with some science fiction I coming up with myself, I cam up with the idea of a ship needing to somewhat create a warp of the space around the ship, where it would then alter that warped space into it by stretching and squeezing that space so that it would be so small that it squeezes past atoms while escaping normal restrictions of speed. Easy enough to say that the science in a sci-fi does not make sense, you can do that the first time anything sci-fi shows up, but you can only make guesses on how that technology works, and what its restrictions may be that people familiar with it do not use it in a way you think it could be.

Otherwise you could essentially be something like a caveman wondering why people do not use mobile phones to kill bad guy, because phones work on electricity just like lightning that can kill people.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:05 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

When confronted with why science beyond our understanding

It's science beyond the understanding of the author, episode 11 has made that ABUNDANTLY clear. "Stop the forward movement or maybe even just reverse it entirely before turning the wormhole off so Kanata can pull his arm... well that was dumb and entirely unnecessary."

And Aries is a clone of Seira... ok.... and Seira is the clone of the king's daughter... stands to reason... and was born long before the whole cloning thing began... right... and in order for the story to be what the story is Seira has to be completely inert socially, politically and humanly for the 14 years it takes for Charce to go from infant to teenager... what?

Seira went from "childhood friend" to "plot device"... assassins killed the princess to prevent her from taking the throne and then they learned about one single clone... not the whole program because they could take the king down with that one... so they planned to kill her ... but then they learned about the plan to kill the other clones... but not the other clones because they could do something political with that information... so instead of killing her directly, they made her join with the other clones.... which they didn't know about... so they could be killed with the rest.... a plan they did know about...

I hate this show, I hate it so very much.... This is Darth Vader levels of "does not know where the offspring is". The Princess handmaid's is chosen to birth the clone of the princess so Seira sends her away with Aries so she'll be safe... because just in chase the plan goes wrong and they have to kill them all? Prescient thinking... but once the princess gets killed, the clone of the princess becomes the next heir to the throne.... ahead of the clone of the king... and nobody but Charce recognized Aries the extra student as the missing clone.... not even the people who took the cells and made the clone... because no one knows what the princess looks like... except for the people who want to assassinate her...
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
If the show pisses you off so much, you could always stop watching it, you know. I honestly don't understand the concept of continuing to willingly watch something that one despises when you don't need to.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:24 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
It's science beyond the understanding of the author, episode 11 has made that ABUNDANTLY clear. "Stop the forward movement or maybe even just reverse it entirely before turning the wormhole off so Kanata can pull his arm... well that was dumb and entirely unnecessary."

Pretty clear that Charce was panicking, after pretty much surrendering himself to suicide, kind of understandable that simply turning it off was the only thing he could do. And we don't even know if it could be reversed once something has entered the sphere.

Animegomaniac wrote:
And Aries is a clone of Seira... ok.... and Seira is the clone of the king's daughter... stands to reason... and was born long before the whole cloning thing began... right... and in order for the story to be what the story is Seira has to be completely inert socially, politically and humanly for the 14 years it takes for Charce to go from infant to teenager... what?

Seira went from "childhood friend" to "plot device"... assassins killed the princess to prevent her from taking the throne and then they learned about one single clone... not the whole program because they could take the king down with that one... so they planned to kill her ... but then they learned about the plan to kill the other clones... but not the other clones because they could do something political with that information... so instead of killing her directly, they made her join with the other clones.... which they didn't know about... so they could be killed with the rest.... a plan they did know about...

I hate this show, I hate it so very much.... This is Darth Vader levels of "does not know where the offspring is". The Princess handmaid's is chosen to birth the clone of the princess so Seira sends her away with Aries so she'll be safe... because just in chase the plan goes wrong and they have to kill them all? Prescient thinking... but once the princess gets killed, the clone of the princess becomes the next heir to the throne.... ahead of the clone of the king... and nobody but Charce recognized Aries the extra student as the missing clone.... not even the people who took the cells and made the clone... because no one knows what the princess looks like... except for the people who want to assassinate her...

I am confused about what you are trying to say. Aries is the clone of Seira, who is the king's daughter. Seira found out the whole thing about how she was cloned when she was younger and organized for her clone, Aries, to be taken away rather than treated like a thing. Her father's clone, treated like a thing was placed as the attendant of her, likely so the king could keep him relatively close while denying the family connections. I don't see how Seira was completely inert socially, politically and humanly, since she seemed young enough and also loved her father.

We don't know why Seira was assassinated, but if we assume that they may have known about her getting Aries free, they may have been the same faction that organized Aries to be on the camping trip, and simply never told the king her location, since they could have used it as leverage at some point. If that is so, a year out from the law being put in place they might have grown anxious that Seira might speak.

Charce was simply guessing that people being worried about Aries being named an heir, and he is not really reliable in that manner as a guy who's entire existence has been based on the power of a monarchy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I am totally satisfied with that ending. It was double length, just like the first episode was, and I think it too warranted it. A lot of loose ends that needed to tied up by the end, after they got back, and I am also kind of happy that there were no shocking surprises of a trap laid out, since these kids were logical and planned ahead to have things worked on. The police arresting all the originals, them all taken into safety with public displays, not everything going smoothly when people found out that they had been lied to about their history, but managing to have public movements that they can all move forward on the truth. Even looks like wormholes were decided to be reused to make space travel easier, with the understanding that the technology can be used wrongly, I would like to imagine safety practices were put in place so they could not be misused.

I am genuinely happy getting all the updates that they were all able to move forward, also staying in touch due to them having bonds that pretty much make them family. Took me a moment during the after 7 year time skip that it was not Quitterie talking to Polina, but actually Funicia. Totally got chuckles from the jokes about their situations, from them keep bringing up Polina's technical age, Kanata's arm, and the weirdness of blood where Kanata asked Aries' "father" for her hand in marriage. There is a beautiful message in there about being able decontextualize things that make you feel uncomfortable in your life, and be able to make a joke out of it. On point to how Qutterie is totally not ready to forgive Charce for Kanata's arm, but Kanata demanded that they instead Charce for saving him by even managing to turn it off, that they can all move forward. I am also still totally shipping Ulgar and Luca. It looking like Ulgar had maybe even further become comfortable with themselves.

I think that is mostly the finale taken care of, so onto the series as a whole. I really liked it, I honestly don't have any hang ups with it, nothing I think was handled poorly, and kept itself strong from beginning to end. The starting and ending with double lengths, were probably some of the best choices I have seen in doing so, the first episode needing to take time to really reach the setting of lost in space. And half of the last episode being an extended time lapse of what happens after they get back, the first half being an explanation of the secrets of their world, and deciding what their plan was going forward. The show looks good, it is interesting just when it is them all talking with each other, everyone had good growth. And it worked things like twists and foreshadowing, actually pretty well, a great feeling of having the audience trying to put the pieces together, whether they might be wrong about certain details, or that you really could figure things out by paying attention. Although maybe certain parts felt a little bit like pieces you could not be sure would fit until revealed, such as Aries being a big question mark piece until you understood what Seira's position was.

I feel like the most dividing feature may be things like technology, whether people not happy how it is explained or used, but I honestly felt no real contradictions, although I maybe found a little easier than others to accept things. The OP was something I totally loved with this show, with things like roll between each character being totally up there with my favourite examples, because I really like every one of them, kind of feels like each one of them became a close friend. With the addition of Polina of course, certainly don't want to feel her left out of the rest of group, that she is not alone and joined these kids.

Going independent of this being an adaption of a manga, I think that this is one of Lerche's best shows in quite a while. Although perhaps I should back that up first by checking on the stuff Lerche has done.... Holy crap, can't believe this studio (and even its director, Masaomi Andō) were the ones that also did School-Live! and also Hakumei and Mikochi. Man, these are the type of shows I point to as real art in using the medium, without actually feeling like, or otherwise also hard to ignore that that Scum's Wish was at least strongly affecting. Astra Lost in Space deserves a well spot there.

I am going to put my rating of this show as Excellent (9/10), if only moved up a bit because I think it was such a perfect contained story of a satisfying ending, built from a strong start. If we could only hope every anime could be so satisfying in being so complete. I am happy to mark this as a closed story, and excited by what future stories make its way of being just as well done.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I had a few issues with the last episode, actually. That last twist requires some serious suspension of disbelief. I mean yeah it was always obvious that something was off with this timeline, but are we supposed to believe that an entire society was able to keep this quiet for 100 years? It seems unlikely that not one person let this secret slip. I also feel like things wrapped up a little too nicely. Given the information they dropped, there's no way that there wouldn't be any pushback from higher-ups, especially when they were apparently able to bury an entire century.

That aside, this was a great show. Easily the dark horse of this summer.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:48 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I had a few issues with the last episode, actually. That last twist requires some serious suspension of disbelief. I mean yeah it was always obvious that something was off with this timeline, but are we supposed to believe that an entire society was able to keep this quiet for 100 years? It seems unlikely that not one person let this secret slip. I also feel like things wrapped up a little too nicely. Given the information they dropped, there's no way that there wouldn't be any pushback from higher-ups, especially when they were apparently able to bury an entire century.

How do we think it may have been possible? Well, some pretty heavy censorship probably would have been required, to the extent everyone would have been afraid to talk. I believe Charce even said that not everyone agreed and they were silenced. What caused the outrage mentioned in the episode may be that they found out their history and foundation was built on total censorship at the risk of indefinite incarceration, or even straight up execution, justified by saying it was for the peace of society. Ulgar's brother was apparently killed by such forces for finding the clues known only by higher ups.

The previous administration that buried the century were long gone, probably only leaving those who were voted into the leadership roles but otherwise not corrupt, and the shadow assassins of royalty. What made things differently for the camp kids is that they contacted authority unaware of the truth, like most of the population, and were too high profile for the shadowy guys to touch, or were arrested along with the king and his brother. Kanata managed to put pressure on the leaders voted into power to otherwise convince them now was the time. At least from what Aries said it sounded like some of the public were piecing together information Kanata said, which may have had some strategic said. And at that point Kanata has had good work at convincing people with how earnest he is. Plus, if they have Polina right there.

As it stands, in modern world it has become an increasing trend of cutting through manipulated history books for the likes of crimes committed against groups like indigenous people. You even have people crying fowl by accusations by nationalist groups calling those trying to recontextualize history to show things fairly, as lacking pride. From my understanding USA had its Thanksgiving, which gave false ideas of how things happened. But in general I think our society is becoming more accepting of uncomfortable facts as we become more enlightened, and able to more strongly verify facts. Maybe it sounds fanciful that a nebulous future society could at one time alter all records of its history, and another time become more accepting of the truth, but there is 100 years there to separate those two societies. Whatever propaganda and stuff that was used to make the first generation obey would be long since gone.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:34 am Reply with quote
This show gets my vote for being the best one this summer season-and it helps that it's sci fi with a buddy road show thrown in for good measure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3