• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires U.K. Anime Distributor Manga Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anddo

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
If you can't beat them, buy them. Ugh I hate Funimation.
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
It took a while to find, but here are a couple of relevant posts from 2017:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1003313/new-catalog-titles-full-metal-panic-full-metal-panic-fumoffu-time-travel-girl-omamori-himari-three-leaves-three?fpid=56815071

agila61 wrote:
Funimation did not get the UK rights to all of their shows, but they got the UK rights for a lot of them. A lot more than show up in the Funimation catalog, since MangaUK often sublicensed those UK rights.

Now, once Funimation started thinking about setting up their own UK streaming operation, they might have started reserving streaming rights in those contracts, but that won't help with the older titles.

Only the series picked up after the Funimation/Crunchyroll deal will have guarantees of Crunchyroll streaming rights ... and since MangaUK does not stream on Crunchyroll, that means UK streaming rights for many of the older catalog titles that they picked up are no longer available to Crunchyroll.

In other words, when a Funimation catalog show comes to Crunchyroll with UK streaming rights, it normally means that MangaUK passed on picking that show up from Funimation, back when Funimation first picked it up, or else the sublicense was written in a way that allowed streaming rights to be shared.

tl;dr: If UK members could convince MangaUK to do a package deal with Crunchyroll for all of the shows that they sublicensed from Funimation, that would open up a number of additional UK streams on Crunchyroll.

NormanicGrav wrote:
Regarding the convincing part, it's unfortunately not going to happen. You see, Manga UK is now called Manga Animatsu and they have a different opinion about streaming as a whole. They can't get any Funimation title anymore due to Anime Limited and Universal plus all of the titles they sub-licensed have expired. Only the titles direct from Japan like TBS, Toei and TV Tokyo or from Sentai Filmworks will let the distributor have certain titles. Manga also feel that streaming affects the retail sales for the most part, DVDs still outperform Blu-rays here in the UK and it's no surprise whatsoever - in fact Sentai's announcement to postpone DVDs in 2019 has actually concerned most of the publishers over here. Manga even tried to acquire both streaming and home video for the Sentai titles that ended up on AnimeStrike (in North America) but Sentai went against this in favour of keeping it for HIDIVE and as such MVM won the home video rights for shows such as Sword Oratoria.

The reason you ain't seeing any Manga UK title on Crunchyroll is because of how both sides handled Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto. Rumour has it that Crunchyroll offered a really poor amount and Manga outright wouldn't accept it (I don't blame them) so they have no plans for Crunchyroll at all. Anime Limited are however, but even they had some setbacks - Kiss Him Not Me was supposed to be added nearly a year ago but something was going on around Crunchyroll's side delaying it.
marek1712

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:14 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
But now it's global streaming over the internet from maybe half a dozen servers for the entire world.

Except when the show you want to watch gets region-locked. So like 90% Funi titles for us, Europeans.

I could care less about any kind streaming - BD is a BD and I can watch it anytime I want (don't have to fear that Funi will lose rights, will pull the show and I won't be able to watch it).

Just imported some shows like FMP: IV, Ancient Magus Bride, etc. All of them have product keys inside that'd allow me to watch those via Funimation's streaming. What of it if they're region locked?

On the other hand now I'll probably have larger selection of titles to order from UK (and not have to deal with stupid BD locks). I just hope there won't be any extra political agenta included.
falseinfinity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Funi is now involved in the Cannon Busters Kickstarter since MangaUK was on the production committee
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3