• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: [New Life+] Young Again in Another World Anime Cancelled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quote
Rednimue wrote:
Mark my words ... something like this will happen again in the future ...
Agreed, now that the Chinese government knows how easy it is to get an anime production cancelled they will be using this strategy again in the future. Considering how many anime China has banned over the last decade that is something that is concerning.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Yeah I'm real concerned about the precedent this sets. The precedent of racists facing consequences for their actions every once in a while.

It's literally just like 1984!

Seriously. So many racist dogwhistles going off. The only "dangerous precedent" would be voice acting firms forcing actors to keep working on projects like this.

mangamuscle wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
This is NOT racism, this is about nationalism quite different.

Calling China a bug country and Chinese people insects is kind of racist.

You do realize there are lot of ethnicities un china, even muslim. Do muslims feel attacked by this autor comments? Of course not, whatever opinión he has are nationalistic, not about japanese being a máster race like real racist think. Calling this a racista conflict deligitimizes real racism. But of course, since racism atm is a hot button in the usa the chinese want to jump into it to gain support from non-chinese.

You do realize "muslim" isn't an ethnicity, right? Racism features heavily in this conflict, and has done so from the very start! The Japanese long considered, and many still do, the Chinese (all of their ethnicities) and the Koreans to be inferior asian races.

[Edit]: deleted snark. Errinundra.

Last edited by BrainBlow on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Vent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
Can't be that the series was cancelled because having your creator outed as a bigot is bad press, gotta come up with some kind of convoluted Chinese conspiracy theory.
musouka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
Silly ANN, getting so upset over this huge win for free speech.

I mean, just think about it. This guy’s original web novel is censored when it goes to print publication. Considering how firm people on this forum are on what a horrible thing it is to compromise a vision for the sake of marketability, it’s can only be a good thing that the censored work has been cancelled. As for the author taking down the web novel version—well, it’s a personal choice. And I’m all about those.

And, well, I’m pretty sure that about the time that Korean feminist artist had her work removed from a game, it was put forth that the only time something should truly be modified is when the fans themselves protest—as they did in this case. The Chinese government didn’t get involved, this was from people that read the guy’s work and protested against it. It almost makes me want to shed a tear. Of pride. Free speech in action!

Then finally, we have VAs and studios making a personal decision not to support something they don’t like and withdrawing from the project, as anyone should do when they don’t agree with someone.

Sorry you guys’ next favorite anime got run over by FREE SPEECH but I think everyone here can agree that FREE SPEECH is the most important thing ever, and sometimes you have to break a few isekai omelets along the way.
GrimaH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
tenzen12 wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Look guys just because Pewdiepie and The President can get away with racism with a slap on the wrist doesn't mean that it's okay.

He's only getting exactly what was coming to him.

Maybe he does, but I am hell sure I didn't deserved be deprived of surprisingly good novel, neither did studio and publisher.

Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Rednimue wrote:
Agreed, now that the Chinese government knows how easy it is to get an anime production cancelled they will be using this strategy again in the future. Considering how many anime China has banned over the last decade that is something that is concerning.

Spoke too soon. FGO will start a new event related about Japan getting back to power in 1945 next week. And the shitstorm has already started.

https://twitter.com/PuroonM0410/status/1004375385587384320
https://twitter.com/hashtag/FGODirectorsShouldApologize?src=hash
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
Good. We do not need more bland, boring, disgusting harem/isekai/self-insert anime, anyway.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
Can't be that the series was cancelled because having your creator outed as a bigot is bad press, gotta come up with some kind of convoluted Chinese conspiracy theory.
Historically speaking communist governments are notorious for using any tactic to silence their critics and there are disturbing indications in recent years that China has improved these tactics far beyond anything that was done by the Soviet Union. There are reports that Chinese companies were threatening to stop doing business with any Japanese company involved with this anime which is something that escalated so quickly that it is rather suspicious. After what happened with the Red Dawn remake it would be no surprise if China was testing how much they can influence the entertainment industries in other countries.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Spoke too soon. FGO will start a new event related about Japan getting back to power in 1945 next week. And the shitstorm has already started.

And rightly so? I mean, holy crap, who even thought this was a good idea even in a Japan only game - never mind an international one. There's history and then there's "for god's sake guys".

And this is not about "omg stupid overly sensitive foreigners don't understand Japan" - just because many Japanese otaku and netizens tend to be chauvinists doesn't mean that the average Japanese person doesn't at least raise an eyebrow when they see shit like that, and that nobody speaks out about things like this. Hell, my country was on the wrong side in both world wars and you bet that, as much as there's still a lot of work to be done to "digest" this past, and as xenophobic and chauvinistic as our current semi-democratically elected government is, there would be something of a scandal if a locally developed game featured an event about "WWII where our people didn't round up Jews in ghettoes and later shot them into mass graves or sent them to their deaths" never mind "WWII where we did all that and then got away with it, YEEEAH"...
Rednimue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:

And rightly so? I mean, holy crap, who even thought this was a good idea even in a Japan only game - never mind an international one. There's history and then there's "for god's sake guys".

And this is not about ...

But then you hear no one complaining about those historical strategic games, like Iron Heart, where you can literally change the outcome of WWII and Win the war with the axis ... Confused
Changeman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
Rednimue wrote:

this is what I feared, people who take advantage of other people who fight for the right one, now we have a witch hunt.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
First I want to see this is for the best. However, I feel awful for the all the staff and cast members involved in the anime that have lost work because of this. I hope they can stay well during this time. But this was the best decision.

Now, I don't even know where to start with all the people defending blatant racism on here.

I guess I'll start with Chrono1000 with his irrelevant anti-communist rhetoric, again. "These are reports that Chinese companies were threatening to stop doing business". Get off 4chan. There are no such reports. Source your statement or stop spreading the lie. The Red Dawn remake wasn't done because of what china wanted. It was done because China is a huge $$$$$ maker for Hollywood so Hollywood CHOSE to do that, to not insult the Chinese. I promise you that Americans would get offended/upset if someone made a movie about us taking over their country. This incident has nothing to do with communism or the Chinese government, no matter how much you want to believe in conspiracy theories.

@WANNFH
the author IS to blame. It doesn't matter if he apologized. He still made the racist statements, and yes, they were factually racist. Stop pretending they were not.

"Making just the statement five years ago and have a regret of it still makes you racist - but when it comes to freedom of speech, it's a norm. Hello, double standards."

His "regret" was making the comments public, not being racist. Not even sure what you're getting it when the freedom of speech bit. He had the freedom of make those comments. But there's consequences to the things you say. It's not a double standard at all.

@anifani
"How in the world did VanGosroth's quote become a racism thing??? These days people are just too on edge. Lighten up."

VanGosroth said: Friendly reminder that using social media in this day and age is on par with providing the ammo and loading the gun for your murderer. If you have unpopular opinion it's best to keep it on the down low.

Again, what VanGosroth was referring to was in fact a racist statement, not merely an "unpopular opinion". Calling Chinese people "insects" is blatantly racist. This is a fact.

This sets no precedent other than, as SquadmemberRitsu said, "The precedent of racists facing consequences for their actions every once in a while. "

The Fate/GO thing I think can be fine depending on how they do it. It's in an almost completely alternative universe so they can easily change most things to make it non-offensive. They'll no doubt use famous names of people, but I don't think it will go much beyond that. I'll have to see it before I attack it.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
Just keep your absurd nationalism vague like GATE or whatever and you can get away with a lot! Actually make racist tweets and suddenly whoops you lost your everything.

The true takeaway is don't piss off the wrong people.

Plenty of Japanese creators wear their dislike of foreigners on their sleeves. Brazillians, blacks, Jews, Muslims, Americans. One time when I was in China I saw a blatant "no blacks allowed" sign and laughed at how open it was. Asia is notorious for that kind of stuff. The only issue here is he pissed off the wrong people: China, a superpower when it comes to overseas anime exports.

Would you really think this would have had the same impact if he was ranting about Brazillian immigrants in Japan? Considering how little power Brazil holds, I'd say no. There was a Japanese director awhile ago who Americans tried to gut because he was anti-Jew on his Twitter, but nothing came out of it. Nothing even remotely like the scorched Earth you're seeing here. Much like how you can be racist towards Asians and Whites in America and get away with it, you can be racist towards various people in Japan and get away with it.. just not China. The triad of Japan/Korea/China is pretty sensitive. Everyone else though? Fair game.

Last edited by Chester McCool on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
So... why was J Novel Club actually translating this series? Has anyone questioned their judgment?

(to clarify, I'm saying they should be questioned. There are tons of light novels, why this one?)

Last edited by #861208 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
So... why was J Novel Club actually translating this series? Has anyone questioned their judgment?

(to clarify, I'm saying they should be questioned. There are tons of light novels, why this one?)

Because it was entertaining and assuming the LN is like the manga, the MC's TOP TEN ANIME SWORDSMEN backstory was vague enough to not trip any flags.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6