• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My-HiME Complete Series BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
This is one of my favorite anime. It was like 2 shows in one. A first rom-com part and then all hell break loose.

Also the anime that introduce me to Yuki Kajiura music. The sound track of this anime is great. The scene here Mai spoiler[release] Kagatsuchi with the music "Yamiyo No Prologue" playing is one of the best music/scene combination i can remember.
scriver058

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
I find it strange how people are calling Shizuru a spoiler[rapist],because,if I recall,the scene is left ambiguous and is even played from differents points of view,right?For all we know,all she may have done was spoiler[laying down naked beside Natsuki(which is still questionable,of course)kissing her Sleeping Beauty style,and that was it]

Yeah I never thought spoiler[it was full on rape, at best perhaps sexual assault which is still reprehensible but yeah.]

Love this show, it's definitely in my top 10 all time, and Mai Tokiha is one of my fave lead characters in an anime ever. Kinda wish I had known about Funimation finally releasing it now before I dropped 100+ on a BD import which has the English dub last year, but it's a nice set and a testament to how much I loved it.

P.S.

Quote:
Makoto

It's Mikoto.

EDIT- Major props to Animegomaniac for beautifully breaking down how the ending was anything but an asspull.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
No, not really, at least for me. The "asspull" argument I'm most familiar with isn't related to the in-universe logic or foreshadowing (it's all magic anyway), it's that spoiler[so much of the emotional weight of the show was about the loss that was being piled on these characters. Undoing all the loss made the emotional weight meaningless, and cheapens the show if you try to watch it again.]
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
No, not really, at least for me. The "asspull" argument I'm most familiar with isn't related to the in-universe logic or foreshadowing (it's all magic anyway), it's that spoiler[so much of the emotional weight of the show was about the loss that was being piled on these characters. Undoing all the loss made the emotional weight meaningless, and cheapens the show if you try to watch it again.]

Yet as I said before, no one had a problem when Madoka Magica did nearly the exact same thing. So why does Mai-Hime get whacked for it?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Yet as I said before, no one had a problem when Madoka Magica did nearly the exact same thing. So why does Mai-Hime get whacked for it?

Madoka Magica can get away with it because in that case spoiler[there's still a palpable cost: Madoka isn't around anymore.] Its outcome is also more clearly and directly a byproduct of what has transpired in the series. I'm appreciative of Animegomaniac's explanation about what was going on with My-HiME's ending because that's far less obvious and it took me multiple viewings to get even a partial sense of all of that. I was one of those people who initially thought it was an asspull.

Yttrbio wrote:

While I can understand where you're coming from on this, that was not my experience on this most recent rewatch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I still have my fancy collector's boxes of the original DVD releases for both Hime and Otome. Those were both very nice and top end artboxes even during the artbox era. When I started upgrading to BR for many series I vowed never to get rid of those 2 sets.
iatheia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:37 am Reply with quote
Mai HiME is one of those series that sits firmly in my top 5 of all anime I've ever seen. Everything about it is wonderful - from the characters, to the story progression, narrative, all that drama... The "twist" 2/3 through and Nagi's explanation of it are so poignant, it still leaves me gasping every time I think of it. But the scene that kills me every time is when spoiler[Mikoto just stands there as Mai is ordering Kagutsuchi to attack her] And the music, so many memorable tracks, from Mezame and Ensei, to the individual character pieces.

Sure, yes, the ending is a bit deus ex machina, but I don't care, by the end of it I was so heartbroken, that them fixing everything was just what I needed after all of that, it would have been too unbearable otherwise.

Never grew to care too much about Mai Otome, though. The only thing that ever interested me about is the connection to the HiME universe, which is rather fascinating, and I've read many fics trying to bridge them together. But overall I find it rather lackluster, and the protagonists to be quite bland in comparison. Sometimes I can't even sit through it all, there is one episode that is just absolutely so irritating, I have to skip it, otherwise I rage-quit the series when I rewatch it.[/spoiler]
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 am Reply with quote
Does My Hime really count as a magical girl anime? Other than the broadest definition of girls using magic powers, they don't have the standard transformations and costumes of the genre. Even with that loose definition, their powers are more technology based than magic based. In some ways though, I personally kind of like My Hime a bit more than Madoka. At least I kind of like the characters more than the Madoka cast.
iatheia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I've always considered it to be more of a mech than magical girl series, to be honest, magical mech girl, if you will.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
The main problem with the ending is that it basically treats spoiler[bringing everyone back to life as hitting the reset button]

Everyone who was driven insane is perfectly fine, character previous actions are all treated like a joke. Oh that spoiler[Shizuru] and her goofy antics spoiler[ Why the hell would anyone want that one guy who seduced a nun to be happy?] That character was so wildly unpopular that Mai Otome brings him back just so they could humiliate him, and talk about how wildly unpopular he was.

It just makes Mai Hime come off like the series the staff was forced to make, while the series they really wanted to make was Mai Otome, the more light hearted show in which every character is a lesbian.[/spoiler]
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:58 am Reply with quote
I remember this show back in the day. I didn't really like the ending since it didn't build up to it like in other shows that have a similar outcome. I do recall the controversial scene and thought it was out of place. But I did enjoy this and loved the music.
DanQ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:16 am Reply with quote
Does anyone remember that this show was dubbed "Himelander" by fans? Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
DanQ wrote:
Does anyone remember that this show was dubbed "Himelander" by fans? Anime smile

I always thought "Mylander" sounded better. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3