• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Keijo Won the Gold in Fanservice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Sigh. It this what anime is now? Confused

Tezuka, the founder of modern anime, implores you to check out Cleopatra, a very NSFW project he made way back in the day. Anime has always been married to fan service and sexuality.

I'm watching Keijo out of curiosity. it is nowhere near my favorite show of the season or year (I have Moe Ping Pong for that). But I have to admit it is handling itself well. While most fanservice shows throw it at your constantly, they also do so with a labored "I guess its time for T&A" attitude.

Keijo made its fanservice integrated and natural into what it is doing. Maybe this'll open the way to the olden days when even pure Hentai could have plots. This could so easily have been worse.

Frankly any anime fan who is serious about the medium should consider the show for study at some point.
Danu06

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I love the ridiculous moves and how they are cool about it. Without that element this could be horrible.

In my opinion, the lack of that typical main male protagonist in a fanservice show is actually very positive. I dont consider myself a feminist person or anything but watching how a lot of cute girls with cliche backgrounds that are crazy about a guy for some lame reason to be in love with, is annoying. The girls are like whores who want sex but the show itself doesnt allow that(cause is not hentai), end in nothing but a guy with his nose bledding. Meanwhile the protagonist can take the whole series to pick one of them.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I think only the japanese like that nowadays, it's difficult to find a fan of fanservice show who likes that kind of main character outside of japan.

Megiddo wrote:
Quote:
No ifs, ands, or butts about it, Keijo!!!!!!!! is one of the biggest hits of the Fall 2016 season

Well, there's plenty of ifs, depending on how you define what makes a "big hit". Because, at least in terms of Amazon pre-orders, Keijo isn't doing particularly well. Probably the lack of a self-insert male character and/or actual topless nudity is holding off a lot of otaku that usually buy fanservice titles.

going by queen's blade and ikkitousen, it's the nipples and not the lack of a main character, afaik, the best selling fanservice show is highschool DxD and the mc does not work as a self insert (well, not for the ultra beta jpanese males; seriously a friend from mexico whom should be considered pretty beta for mexican standars went to japan and he is amazed at how beta japanese men are and is beating the at "their game" because he actually talks to the girls).
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
We feared that this show would signify the bottoming out of the anime industry, ...

From the article:
Quote:
There's a lot going on between the cracks here, ...

Intentional, or just a coincidence considering the importance of derrieres in this anime?

Now now, let's not make this anime the butt of too many jokes.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I think people were so quick to judge this anime. Keijo!!!!!!! Isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's definitely no OPM or Re:Zero but, hey, it's up there. I like how it's not that absurd. It's really entertaining!! I love the jokes and the way they "race". I remember when this series was firat announced people were upset that it would be a train wreck and yet now it's gaining popularity. I hope it becomes more and more popular!! I think more anime should be given a chance like Keijo!!!!!!!! To really show what it's about.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched Keijo!!!!!!!! yet since I'm waiting for the BD's. I'm just happy to hear that it is a masterpiece. Smile

Animechic420 wrote:
Sigh. It this what anime is now? Confused

What? Life?

kiminobokuwa wrote:
I think people were so quick to judge this anime.

I agree. Once I saw Keijo!!!!!!!!!, I immediately said "Waiting for the BD."
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Danu06 wrote:

In my opinion, the lack of that typical main male protagonist in a fanservice show is actually very positive.

I would have to agree. Can you imagine how many times the guy would just stand there getting all hot and bothered. Then 120% of the cast will spend most of their efforts fighting over him. I mean, I remember Infinite Stratos. "Every girl wants to become great at a sport." They train, they go to school. But 80% of the show focuses on how everything revolves around a dense airhead guy. It can be done right, but often the guy is just...unentertaining for EVERYONE.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Keijo!!!!!!!! is by far one of the best Anime series in recent years it has everything that a true Anime fan could ever want and thin some. Very Happy
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
@KH91 it doesn't have the blatant over censoring of much of such fare or really much of any censoring at all. Maybe that changes later but I'm thinking the BD's will be much the same as broadcast so I don't see any reason to wait, unlike most fanservice anime.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
I think only the japanese like that nowadays, it's difficult to find a fan of fanservice show who likes that kind of main character outside of japan.

Megiddo wrote:
Quote:
No ifs, ands, or butts about it, Keijo!!!!!!!! is one of the biggest hits of the Fall 2016 season

Well, there's plenty of ifs, depending on how you define what makes a "big hit". Because, at least in terms of Amazon pre-orders, Keijo isn't doing particularly well. Probably the lack of a self-insert male character and/or actual topless nudity is holding off a lot of otaku that usually buy fanservice titles.

going by queen's blade and ikkitousen, it's the nipples and not the lack of a main character, afaik, the best selling fanservice show is highschool DxD and the mc does not work as a self insert (well, not for the ultra beta jpanese males; seriously a friend from mexico whom should be considered pretty beta for mexican standars went to japan and he is amazed at how beta japanese men are and is beating the at "their game" because he actually talks to the girls).

Way to make your critique of harem males into passive aggressive racism towards Japanese guys. As if they need any more ribbing of their sexual prowess. Why not mention their micro penises too while you're at it?

Anyways, Keijo!!!!! is fun, and empowering. Like Cross Ange before it, feminists shoild be celebrating this rather than condemning it. Baffles me to this day why these bunch would hound on something that actually supports their cause. Confused
AnimusPrime

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I think the only way this show works is the total lack of male characters, and by extension, the absence of the "male gaze". Why yes, it's a show about butts, and boobs, and it throws it in your face all the time, but not about sexual way. Mostly.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Chill, @Paiprince. Aside from one early Kotaku article, where are you seeing people condemn this show on feminist terms? I haven't seen it on this site, from critics or users. Not to say I haven't seen people condemn the show, but most of it that I've seen is more from facile cynicism (questioning why this trash (how they see fanservice shows not me) is popular and shaking their heads) rather than feminism. Maybe they aren't actively celebrating it, but they certainly aren't condemning it. Probably best to steer the discussion away from your other example, but I'll just say I see why both sides think the way they do on the other show you mentioned.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I was really amazed at how good this show is. The article touched on it a bit, but what really make this works is how good the team (and most likely the original author) behind it are, not just framing but timing and how everything is walking the very thin line between serious show and complete parody, managing to achieve the strength of both within the weakness of either.

It takes a bold and confident team to have something as ridiculous as "vacuum but cannon" and not have any wink at the audience that "this is ridiculous and you should be laughing". They knew how ridiculous it was and that the people watching aren't moron and will catch on.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
At the same time, people who bought the anime for these explicit scenes don't want to be bored sitting through long minutes of fantasy exposition clarifying why Angel-chan has to suck dicks at least once a day to remain on Earth or whatever.

Kind of savage.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
My favorite thing about Keijo!!!!!!!! is that you can replace the audio of the battles with audio from JoJo and it would still fit. Serioulsy, from episode 1, when Kawai was fighting those three girls, all I kept hearing was ZA WARDO!!!

Seriously, Keijo/Jojo mashups are my favorite thing to come out of this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlEzmThYsTg
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7