• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magical Girl Raising Project

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke's JRPG Channel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
That was a great double cross by Ruler's group and thank god they killed her off.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Funny, I thought Swim Swim would when we got that line from two weeks ago--when Ruler was surprised that Swim Swim remembered what she said about subordinates emulating leaders--I just didn't think it'd be this soon. I thought it might be Tama due to her poor performance the week before.

Yeah, that part from Swim Swim was suspicious. However, the angel twins were shown to be the scheming vengeful type, and the dog girl was the one that seemed likely to be facing death from low candy, the worst treated, and possibly smarter than she let on with that suggestion to use a PV. I felt like they were roughly equal candidates.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
spoiler[I kind of picked Ruler as being one of the first to go, but I thought she'd die at the hands of someone else and Swim Swim would spend the rest of the series fighting to avenge her. Instead, Swim Swim proved to be the architect of Ruler's demise.] That alone affirmed to me that this series isn't afraid to go in different, unexpected directions.

I'm guessing that this season will only follow the girls of this one city, but that in subsequent seasons (if there are any) the conflict will escalate as this season's survivors are forced to fight against groups from first other cities, and then perhaps other countries. I suspect the road to hell for these characters is only just beginning.

BTW, calling it right now: La Pucelle will be one of the survivors (at least, for this season) but ends up permanently female.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh, balls. Yes, nobody would seriously believe that Snow White was going to be offed (MC immunity, the universal truth of 99.999% of any show ever made anywhere) but it was by no means obvious that The Ruler was going to be the one to be killed. She had all the hallmarks of an antagonist character who would go a much further distance than she did. I could easily have imagined a magical girl other than her being axed.

Maybe a bit less than that--TV Tropes has many examples of the Decoy Protagonist, a character set up to be the protagonist early on but another character supplants him or her, with death being the most common reason. Psycho is the most famous example.

On the other hand, I thought that Ruler and her group were going to be a Team Rocket type presence through the story, constantly picking fights but becoming less effective as the series goes on until they join the heroes when the real antagonist shows up.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
but it was by no means obvious that The Ruler was going to be the one to be killed. She had all the hallmarks of an antagonist character who would go a much further distance than she did. I could easily have imagined a magical girl other than her being axed.

Uh, what? You talking about looking from episode 3 and earlier? Because episode 4 starting out with that flash back was one of the most obvious death flags I've seen in a really long time.

Muffum wrote:
I dunno, I thought it was pretty obvious that the instant the episode started with a flashback to Ruler's life pre-magical girl, she was the one that was gonna die. Even then, before this episode I saw a ton of speculation that Ruler would die either next or soon after due to her minions rebelling against her.

Exactly. Doing it like that just blew all of the suspense. With the focus on that, they clearly weren't going to have time to set up any other girl therefore Ruler had to be the one to die. They should have held back on that until later on because not only did it give away a character death like a lot of sudden backstory flashbacks, but the twist of her being betrayed as well because how else does the leader that was shown to be a more competent candy gatherer than her minions end up last.

Maybe it's because most of the shows I watch are more optimistic, but I interpreted that flashback to mean she would see some level of character development and redemption and that this information was necessary to understand her. One Piece, for instance, provides flashbacks for side characters for major turning points for those characters, though for some, they are introduced via flashbacks or receive flashbacks before fully entering the story.

I had a strong hunch Ruler was not going to make it to the end of the series the moment she was introduced, but I guess I don't watch enough of this sort of show.

whiskeyii wrote:
That said, I kind of agreed with some of Ruler's points in her human form; not the name-calling so much, but wanting to improve the company and attempting to go through the proper channels for it, plus the implication that all she did was make coffee and print copies, acts far below her skill set. But all that sympathy got tossed out the window when she basically brainwashed her cronies into submission, so I guess it evens out.

The way I saw it was that her real self was an extremist, but one who wanted to do something good. She clearly didn't see the value in relationships that don't further whatever the organization's goals are, but it came across to me as a concept she genuinely didn't understand. By the time she got to become Ruler, she had become so frustrated that she was willing to use her brainwashing powers to show people that she could be a good leader.

I guess that's why I figured she'd go through a bunch of character development: Her heart's in the right place, but her way of thinking was flawed.

DeTroyes wrote:
BTW, calling it right now: La Pucelle will be one of the survivors (at least, for this season) but ends up permanently female.

What, you mean like that he will become a girl when not a magical girl as well?

My hunch says he's not the only magical girl with a male secret identity. Then again, my hunch was way off with Ruler.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what Cranberry's magic is - maybe illusions? Meanwhile Hardgore Alice (if ever there was a name to indicate bad news) probably has some incredibly destructive or cruel power.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
I wonder what Cranberry's magic is - maybe illusions? Meanwhile Hardgore Alice (if ever there was a name to indicate bad news) probably has some incredibly destructive or cruel power.

I think the hint is in her full name 'The Forest Musician, Cranberry', she probably has manipulation over sound.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:30 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
I think the hint is in her full name 'The Forest Musician, Cranberry', she probably has manipulation over sound.

Almost certainly. She probably used it when she made her opponent look behind her with "Look out behind you."

And, Holy Cow but there were a lot of death flags thrown around this episode.

Also, I think I called it that Swim-Swim doesn't know what to do now. That clique is probably going to fall apart very soon, unless she thinks of something.

Finally: I wonder if Cranberry wasn't the last girl standing from the beginning of the first episode. Sister Idiot said she's the oldest, so that wouldn't surprise me.

I expect someone(s) is(are) going to be kicking the bucket next week.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:40 am Reply with quote
@ Tour_of_Gondolin: that's an interesting idea about Cranberry being the last girl standing from the prologue. I went back and looked at it and it is hard to tell. From what can be seen there does seem to be a bit of similarity in hair. Certainly it's not different enough to preclude the possibility. Mind you, if a survivor of a battle royale continues on as a magical girl there is nothing saying she has to look the same in a new round.

Magicloid 44 cracked me up this episode. What a con artist. And considering the general uselessness of her magical power (other than as a means to scam Sister Nana), I wonder how she manages to gather Candies at all.
Luke's JRPG Channel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
So she wants to fight strong opponents, that's fair enough I suppose.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:37 am Reply with quote
Removed. Decided to post my comments in the main series discussion thread rather than here.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:53 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Magicloid 44 cracked me up this episode. What a con artist. And considering the general uselessness of her magical power (other than as a means to scam Sister Nana), I wonder how she manages to gather Candies at all.

She does still have the usual super-strength and etc that all magical girls have, and maybe because of her chara design she has a few other skills she just hasn't shown so far (maybe she can fly? IDK).

I got a bit confused how Calamity Mary makes candy. Is crushing the gangs how she gets them, or is it by threatening the gangs, then caving in for money, therefore 'saving' them? The latter seems a bit more contrived but would fit Magicaloid's dialogue in that scene, and is frankly pretty clever.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
she's probably crushing gangs as a favor for other gangs.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:11 am Reply with quote
Yes, I chuckled at Magicloid's dry observation that there was a flaw in the system if Candies could be earned in such a way.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:57 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Maybe it's because most of the shows I watch are more optimistic, but I interpreted that flashback to mean she would see some level of character development and redemption and that this information was necessary to understand her. One Piece, for instance, provides flashbacks for side characters for major turning points for those characters, though for some, they are introduced via flashbacks or receive flashbacks before fully entering the story.

Well yeah, the whole characters only have random flaskbacks before they die is not a universal truth. You have to also look at as what is necessary for the story. For this story, setting up some one to die was the import point. It needed to escalate from (1) playing normally to collect candies killing the loser to (2) the girls actively interfering with each other and through that killing the loser. (2) must happen so that the game can begin. So that flashback was definitely going to be about trying to flesh her out some before her death.

I'm glad they branched out though. There are several factions now, and there have been several more backstories at least partially explained. I think the next death will probably be next episode and will probably be harder to see coming.

I think Snow White and La Pucelle have plot immunity still though. If they're really going to milk that death, it is going to be after the two are dating which seems to be where that angle is going.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
Could not disagree more with this part of Paul's review:

Quote:
While there are some issues with the heroines, the antagonists are absolutely on point this week. Cranberry makes a great villain, and she's already dispelled most of the doubts I had about killing Ruler off so early in the game. Where Ruler was a relatively petty character with a “look out for number one” mindset, Cranberry seems like she just wants to watch the world burn.

The "just want to watch the world burn for the sake of watching the world burn" is my least favourite villain motivation along with its related "I just want to fight somebody strong" sentiment. How trite and, in anime, how commonplace. I really hope the show adds some sort of texture to this boring motivation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17