• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach Manga Enters 'Climax' In 2 Chapters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
You probably are reading a different manga than ourselves. This arc was being overall better than the Soul Society arc to an extent (the pacing is pretty shitty, tho, it's Bleach after all, you can only enjoy by reading the full tankobon *still better than I am a Hero in that regard*).

Are you kidding? While this final arc is easily better than Fullbringer and arguably better than Hueco Mundo, Soul Society is STILL the gold standard for Bleach since it didn't meander POINTLESSLY and still maintained good usage of the cast. This arc has largely been a mess, and Shueisha made the right call because Kubo was clearly gonna milk this for as long as possible. There's at LEAST a half dozen needless false-finishes and "WTF" sidetreks. Since Kubo announced this was the final arc, I think Shueisha told him at the start of this one that he was gonna need to wrap it up. Kubo definitely could've plotted this in a style that was more intended to finish things satisfactorily, but it was pretty clearly written to stretch it out as long as possible, which just meant EVENTUALLY they were gonna tell him "time's up". The guy had literal YEARS to get things right and he spent that time ****ing around.
Dextres

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Don't even get me started on The Last.. I could rant for hours...but that would be off-topic.

The best we can hope for is no pairings.

We can hope for alot of things; but when it actually happens I will not be here.

But nonetheless, here's to hoping.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Don't even get me started on The Last.. I could rant for hours...but that would be off-topic.

The best we can hope for is no pairings.

I could too, not only because Naruto and Sakura actually had mutual development, but mainly because of that friggin genjutsu pool-ex-machina scene... That being said, if there are no pairings, people are still going to riot - you can never win with these things. Kubo will just have to do what he believes is right, and if I had to look back, I would loosely assume Ichigo will go for Orihime (though I confess I'm not a fan and have only ever seen the first two episodes). As for the guy that said Kubo doesn't care about romance, that's actually Oda you're thinking of.

Last edited by Gemnist on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:

Ichigo better end up with Orihime or I will riot...

Fixed...for me.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, congratz WSJ, you treated one of your classic manga of the last decade like absolute shit. I lost all respect for this company. Now I wait for them to tell Oda he has under 2 months to finish OP.

I hope Kubo makes a sequel manga with another magazine.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

I could too, not only because Naruto and Sakura actually had mutual development, but mainly because of that friggin genjutsu pool-ex-machina scene... That being said, if there are no pairings, people are still going to riot - you can never win with these things. As for the guy that said Kubo doesn't care about romance, that's actually Oda you're thinking of.

I know there's an interview somewhere where he said it wasn't a focus. It's not nearly as militant as Oda but it's there with the same goal.
Kreion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

I could too, not only because Naruto and Sakura actually had mutual development, but mainly because of that friggin genjutsu pool-ex-machina scene... That being said, if there are no pairings, people are still going to riot - you can never win with these things. As for the guy that said Kubo doesn't care about romance, that's actually Oda you're thinking of.

I know there's an interview somewhere where he said it wasn't a focus. It's not nearly as militant as Oda but it's there with the same goal.

Not a focus =/= not a factor. He's written Orihime's arc to basically revolve around Ichigo and only on the latter arcs does she come into her own as a character. Kubo has very much written romance and as you said, in the interview he only states that romance is not the driving force behind the series. Tbh I could level that same argument against something like Shokugeki no Soma which has about as much romantic development as Bleach...'Shounen' action/adventure series and the like nearly always have a romantic subplot as that's just something that tends to come with the 'adventure' genre.

Regardless of what you think of romance as a focus in Bleach, Kubo tends to enjoy his metaphorical pairings - Orihime as the rain connecting people together, the idea of 'the sand and the rotator' in reference to Ichigo and Rukia being together, the idea that one of them is the sun and the other the moon...Kubo like his pair symbolism so it really would be kind of cheap if he didn't end with one. It's not even just Ichigo, Renji and Rukia are symbolically presented as the dog who is howling at the moon...when you use that much symbolism having it all be in service of nothing is kind of questionable.

Well, we'll see what happens. At the very least he has to resolve the feelings of Orihime since she has been shown to definitely have feelings for Ichigo, as Renji does for Rukia...beyond that it gets more down to interpretation.

The only reason they might have to rush Bleach to an ending is if they want to stick another series in they think is going to run for a long time. With Bleach and Nisekoi ending they are probably looking for some longer series - right now they have a fairly good core with BNHA really taking of in JPN but they still probably want more.
Larkan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Don't know why people would straight up think its a cancellation instead of just Kubo choosing to end it and move on.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Well, congratz WSJ, you treated one of your classic manga of the last decade like absolute shit. I lost all respect for this company. Now I wait for them to tell Oda he has under 2 months to finish OP.

Please this arc has been going on for over 200 chapters from chapter 480 to chapter 685 and instead of answering questions it kept bringing up more questions and retconning things to extend the story. Kubo was clearly milking the story out as long as he possibly could. Fights continuing on much longer then needed, characters appearing and disappearing from the story, etc... This has been a really bad arc, not Fullbringer bad but definitely still bad. It is for the best the series is ending Kubo has been coasting on this manga ever since the Soul Society arc and it clearly shows in the sales of the series which has continuously declined year after year.

Oda on the other hand pretty much owns Shueisha at this point. One Piece is far and away the largest selling manga in Japan for the last 8 years at least since they released manga sales numbers. They couldn't tell Oda what to do even if they wanted to. Also Oda hasn't been milking One Piece characters have actual meaning in One Piece unlike in Bleach. At the time people were complaining that the tournament during the Dressrosa arc was kind of pointless yet now the characters we met during that arc have contributed to this huge plot point in the series that will have an effect down the line.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow with Nisekoi and Bleach ending at the same time, what's left for Shonen Jump's trump card? Shokugeki no Souma? Boku no Hero Academia?
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
My Hero Academia is filling my quota of action from the Jump quite nicely, a role Bleach held down for the best part of a decade.

The difference? MHA is smart, Bleach has become a boring dross to read.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
English WSJ suffers a lot more from the loss of Bleach and Nisekoi than the Japanese side does. These two series haven't been trump cards for Japanese WSJ in a while*; it'll just be business moves on for it. English WSJ's response will be interesting, as I believe that its readership overall is far more invested in Bleach, at least.

*something that doesn't get talked about as much is that Nisekoi has also fallen off in popularity a lot. Not only has it tanked in the magazine's rankings, but its vol sales have fallen back down to roughly the same levels as back around when its anime first started.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, at this point it's probably safe to say Bleach got the axe, but I doubt the reason had anything to do with particular issues between Kubo and his superiors and might have happened for a more simple reason

The previous chief editor at JUMP, Sasaki Hisashi now works at Viz, and he was probably the one granting Kubo enough mercy to let him drag out the last arc despite it's tanking in the polls and overall stagnation as a franchise. His replacement probably wasn't willing to extend that same kindness considering that as a whole JUMP doesn't necessarily "need" Bleach so long as OP exists(and they've certainly expressed no real issues before in getting rid of series with strong sales before if the popularity's no longer there with a few other notable series), and combined with the fact that they've had a recent series of modest hits that don't seem to be in any immediate danger, they figured it was probably worth the risk to give it the boot and free up more room for new series.

It's certainly a crappy situation for a diehard fans, and despite my overall apathy towards the manga in recent years it does feel pretty rough to imagine it going out in such a fashion. At the same time though, like others have said this arc's been going for 5 years, and has raised almost as many questions as it answered, with Kubo's sense of pacing being at it's all-time worst. Had Kubo spent less time on dragged fight scenes and more time on storytelling with this arc to get to the conclusion faster, it might not have come to this, but he let himself ride on JUMP's good graces and this is the result.

Don't know if I can necessarily say I'm sad to see Bleach go, but it's certainly an awkward feeling to be sure.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Please this arc has been going on for over 200 chapters from chapter 480 to chapter 685 and instead of answering questions it kept bringing up more questions and retconning things to extend the story. Kubo was clearly milking the story out as long as he possibly could. Fights continuing on much longer then needed, characters appearing and disappearing from the story, etc... This has been a really bad arc, not Fullbringer bad but definitely still bad. It is for the best the series is ending Kubo has been coasting on this manga ever since the Soul Society arc and it clearly shows in the sales of the series which has continuously declined year after year.

I completely disagree with everything you said.

The arc is going well, and everything would have been answered if they wouldn't have pulled the plug on Kubo.

Kubo was not milking the series, that was WSJ and his editing team. Did you know that he was in very bad terms with SJ and his editors? Did you know they forced him to stretch the Arrancar arc beyond what he wanted? Did you know they forced him to cut the Fullbring arc short? Did you know they took away his creative freedom and artificially forced him to change events mid arc? - Like how they forced him to keep Byakuya alive when he was meant to die in volume 57.

Kubo is a good writer, did you read any of his other works? Short stories? Bleach would have been a different series if business politics did not intervene. What Kubo has been doing is trying to please two mutually exclusive worlds. That is, the world of business (WSJ) and the world of his creative expression through his work. Both worlds ended up not being satisfied.

As for declining sales, okay sure, but Bleach still is one of the world's best selling and most popular manga. And for him to be forced to wrap it up in such short notice is a very unprofessional and downright disgusting move. This rivals Konami and Kojima. Furthermore, this is disrespectful from WSJ's side towards the fans who have been following this manga from the beginning.

WSJ lost its heavy hitters. It lost Naruto and Bleach. It will soon lose Toriko and Gintama. And all it will have left are small unknown series and OP. It is a very poor business decision to be completely reliant on one series - because if that's gone, so is WSJ. And you never know what might happen to Oda, he's a human like all of us, a car accident or health issue could claim anyone's life at any second, and to have your entire company depend on one person is an idiotic strategy.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Larkan wrote:
Don't know why people would straight up think its a cancellation instead of just Kubo choosing to end it and move on.

Because the change of pace is extremely evident, anyone who's reading that manga can tell how it shifted from glacial pace tospoiler[ offing the main villain in two chapters] and there are way too many important loose ends -notably, an explanation about spoiler[what was the Soul King that made Aizen loathe him so much]-. Kubo has always made the effort to explain and answer the questions he raises. I honestly don't see that he raised many new questions in these arc, he was steadily answering the lingering ones -notably Kenpachi and Unohana's past, and Isshin's history- and then suddenly it's gonna be over and he has 17 pages to wrap shit up

Quote:
The previous chief editor at JUMP, Sasaki Hisashi now works at Viz, and he was probably the one granting Kubo enough mercy to let him drag out the last arc despite it's tanking in the polls and overall stagnation as a franchise

Sasaki stepped down from being editor in chief years ago. The event was even a plot point in the late portion of Bakuman some time 2011-2012, before Bleach's popularity tanked, though I'm not sure if the EIC has changed since then
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10