• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure tri. Films' English Dub Casts Mona Marshall, Cristina Vee, Kate Higgins

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
[quote="AceLuffy4Ever"]
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Biyomon and Gatomon are much better than Piyomon and Tailmon

"Biyomon" is a literal translation mistake. I'm convinced Digimon has more I-wasn't-paying-attention mistakes then deliberate changes. This is more Bandai's fault then the dub, though.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Nonaka Machine Gun B"]
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Biyomon and Gatomon are much better than Piyomon and Tailmon

"Biyomon" is a literal translation mistake. I'm convinced Digimon has more I-wasn't-paying-attention mistakes then deliberate changes. This is more Bandai's fault then the dub, though.

Yeah i been knew it was an error but with the name Piyomon , you can immediately see all the jokes that would have been made from it, my point still stands with Gatomon > Tailmon
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
So it looks like we're getting it. That's good news. We just got in the first 4 seasons. I felt after reading that column featured awhile back on Digimon I felt if it's that good of a series then it's worth students seeing. Now they need to release some of the older movies. Chances are it could happen.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Joshua Seth as Tai or go home, it would be like Spike without Steve Blum.

You realize they've done Tai without Joshua before right?

classicalzawa wrote:

Shame about Michael Lindsay just kind of dropping off though, I liked his work. Does Doug Erholtz sound similar enough though? He's certainly gotten practice. He also did TK in 02 (and given age, that would be the one they'd need back, not Wendee Lee who did young TK with Kari, Lara Jill Miller did both anyway), and Joe's sibling Jim, so maybe it would be possible? Hopefully he'll at least do TK again.

Jeff Nimoy already confirmed that Johnny Yong Bosch is doing Takeru now.

Last edited by bleachj0j on Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the dub is aimed at the audience who watched Digimon Adventure or it is going after a new younger audience? I assume the later, but it is possible giving that it is a sequel to an older show that no kid will have seen.
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Does anyone know if the dub is aimed at the audience who watched Digimon Adventure or it is going after a new younger audience? I assume the later, but it is possible giving that it is a sequel to an older show that no kid will have seen.

They have confirmed that while the music will be changed, the script will keep the same tone as the original.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

The movies will be presented similarly to how most anime movies in the U.S are presented, through limited screenings in theaters that likely play independent/art house films on a regular basis that only die-hard anime fans would be aware of. So I assume it's leaning towards the former audience.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
The digimon dub music is loved and praised amongst English fans, Biyomon and Gatomon are much better than Piyomon and Tailmon, Tailmon is such an uncreative name while Gatomon was unique to use American people and rolled off the tongue nicely

Speak for yourself. I'm an English fan and I think the dub music is garbage. It's not even original music, most of it is recycled from Saban's failed Kamen Rider adaption. Comparing the amount of fans who cared when Wada Koji passed away VS Paul Gordon should tell you something.

Gatomon is it terrible name just because gato means male cat, and Tailmon is female. If they did any amount of research they would at least call her Gatamon. But Saban and Bandai notorious for terrible research. They name different Digimon the same, like multiple Kumamon and Kentarusmon. Mix up animals, like Anomalocarimon to Scorpionmon. And don't know romanization even a first-year Japanese student would know, like Centaurmon to Kentarumon. Galgomon to Gargomon, etc.

If Cardcaptor Sakura, One Piece, and Sailor Moon can get redubs, I don't see why Digimon Adventure Tri can't be faithful.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
The digimon dub music is loved and praised amongst English fans, Biyomon and Gatomon are much better than Piyomon and Tailmon, Tailmon is such an uncreative name while Gatomon was unique to use American people and rolled off the tongue nicely

Speak for yourself. I'm an English fan and I think the dub music is garbage. It's not even original music, most of it is recycled from Saban's failed Kamen Rider adaption. Comparing the amount of fans who cared when Wada Koji passed away VS Paul Gordon should tell you something.

Gatomon is it terrible name just because gato means male cat, and Tailmon is female. If they did any amount of research they would at least call her Gatamon. But Saban and Bandai notorious for terrible research. They name different Digimon the same, like multiple Kumamon and Kentarusmon. Mix up animals, like Anomalocarimon to Scorpionmon. And don't know romanization even a first-year Japanese student would know, like Centaurmon to Kentarumon. Galgomon to Gargomon, etc.

If Cardcaptor Sakura, One Piece, and Sailor Moon can get redubs, I don't see why Digimon Adventure Tri can't be faithful.

You ignorant prick, go look at videos with Paul Gordon, go look at all videos that feature Paul Gordon music, not only will you see a lot of likes but you will see people paying their respects as well, it doesn't need a redub since it was obviously a success
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
...it doesn't need a redub since it was obviously a success

Successful financially? Sure it was. Successful critically? Perhaps so, more or less. However, I have to say Lord Oink does have a point about the English version of Digimon Adventure being riddled with errors galore. I may have enjoyed watching it Americanized years ago; not anymore now.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Sakura has never gotten a redub. NISA's release was the (highly) questionable Animax dub from years ago.

There was nothing wrong with the original Nelvena cast either. They were great. It just needed an uncut release at the same time for those who wanted it in the US. Canada had it mostly uncut when it aired on Teletoon.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Ya know, just when I think I fully understand where the sub purists come from despite my differences with them, it's comments such as that where the level of justification in coming off as a desensitized, elitist jackass just completely baffles me.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't Sailor Moon more popular than Digimon in America? I thought most Americans just wrote it off as a Pokemon rip off. Not to mention the Frankenstein'd movie was a terrible flop so they didn't release the other movies, most importantly Diablomon Strikes Back until 2005. Viz was in a more logical position to ride the nostalgia train, but choose not to out of respect for the franchise. And they could have just as easily justified dubbing Crystal like 90s Sailor Moon.

Given how poorly Bandai handles the Super Sentai franchise in America (Power Rangers), I suppose this is not much of a surprise. Viz is just an anime company, not a greedy toy company so they have to cater to anime fans I imagine.

-Stuart Smith
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
So glad to see Jeff Nimoy back doing Digimon stuff and dubbing in general! Last thing he really did anime wise was Digimon Data Squad.
And glad they're getting Mona Marshall back too! She also has slowed down on anime dubbing (other than Doraemon, Data Squad is one of her more recent anime works too). though it's not like I don't hear her often enough, I do love the hell out of South Park and she's voiced basically every female in the show for quite a while now.

I know that Joshua Seth has said that, if asked, he'll return to do Tai, so dammit, they'd better ask him! The more of the original cast they can get back, the happier the fan base will be! I just hope that this would get him back into voice acting for good, I'm not sure how he's making out as a hypnotist (the internet says "comedy magician"), and he was one of my favorite VAs from back in the day. His website claims that he performs over 80 college shows a year, but I just wish he'd do a few roles here and there if he doesn't want to come back full time for now.

The IMDB page has a lot of entries on it for English VAs, but I have no idea how many of them are accurate, or just wish lists (not that I would mind Travis Willingham in this)

Yeah this is great to see they are actually indeed getting some of the back successfully. Hopefully Joshua Seth comes back too as he's said a few times Tai would be one character he'd want to come back for.
NitroNeon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:50 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

The one complaint I do have about the dub is that some jokes just shouldn't be there. I do love the humor in the dub and I think it makes the show more entertaining.

But when the final boss Apoclymon popped out and declared "I am the ultimate evil, COMPETE WITH HOT AND COLD RUNNING WATER" as the camera panned down to the tubes on his crotch, I definitely couldn't take him as seriously as I should have. Maybe back when I was 5 year old, but as an adult it's just funny and really makes him less intimidating. So if the tri dub can avoid making mistakes like that, I think it'll be fine.

While this is a valid complaint that I completely agree with, it's obvious to me that the added humour from was a deliberate creative decision on Saban's part to make sure the villains were less scary to kids.

Keep in mind Saban did the same thing with Power Rangers. Characters like Lord Zedd and Goldar were made more silly as the show went on due to complaints from parents that they were too scary.

It doesn't look like Saban are the ones behind this Tri dub so I don't think we'll have that problem moving forward. I am confused by the choice to use a replacement soundtrack though.

Anyway, like many others I'm hoping for Joshua Seth to make his grand return to anime. If his twitter page is any indication he's very open to the idea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4