• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Manga to End in 74th Volume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Considering how slow Kubo was to start concluding plot threads and character arcs, it seems Bleach may require a few epilogue chapters.

Though, I don't think Kubo cares anymore
Somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Wait, he's only going to tie Naruto's length instead of outright passing it? (currently on track for next vol to be filled with the equivalent of ch 700, if we're counting the negative number chapters)
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Yikes. I haven't paid attention to Bleach for awhile now, but there was one thing that always struck me about it: Kubo's tendency to create characters, spend a decent amount of time with them, then discard them. Sometimes, he even made them seem important before unceremoniously killing them or... leaving them alive but rarely/never revisiting them. I'm not sure if he planned that or just excitedly created characters and got bored, but he's been doing it for a long time now.

In short, Bleach has an enormous cast. There's not way he can satisfactorily wrap things up for all of them in such a short amount of time.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Things that I don't believe are out of the question:

-The anime returning
-A sequel "canon" movie penned/outlined by Kubo (hopefully better luck than Hell Verse)
-A "non-canon" standalone movie

Most likely not happening:

-Complete reboot of the anime. The current one is too recent and followed the manga pretty closely whenever it could
-Immediate sequel series like Tokyo Ghoul:re or Trigun Maximum. That would be the ultimate troll, but I've seen the idea thrown around and I just don't see it happening.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I didn't expect it to end so soon after the "We are nearing the finale" announcement; those are usually done either in an advance of a few months, or by an issue or two.
Ahmazein

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I personally...just don't feel we can get a proper finish to it in only about 5 chapters or so. There just seems like too much still to be done to get it all done in so few chapters. I mean, if it can, then fine by me, but i feel there will just be too many unanswered questions and I have this feeling the ending..may just end up being complete trash, I hope im wrong.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I'm thinking this for the umpteenth time, but I really wish Kubo had originally been partnered up with a writer who knew how to take his concepts and do something competent with them. There's no denying that the man is a very skilled designer (especially in terms of fashion), and the basic premise of Bleach's story held a lot of potential, but dear lord did he not have the chops to execute on it. I fell behind on the anime back in its [adult swim] days, and I still never bothered to watch its final arc, because I just couldn't care about a story that didn't seem like it'd go anywhere. Since then I've had a few friends who read the manga keeping me apprised on what's going on, and it's just sad at this point. Maybe it is best to put it out of its misery.

(On reflection, there's a lot to be said for the traditional Western comics model of having separate writers and artists. Just because someone can draw well doesn't mean they can write worth a damn, and vice versa. It's a rare talent indeed that can do both very well.)
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Well this is unexpected.. wow. So fast, not even the 75th :/
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Bleach obviously has been axed just like Brynhildr in the Darkness a couple months ago. Well, I look forward to Tite Kubo's next manga.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Bleach is a series that I've never expected to have a good satisfactory end, or even a somewhat decent one. But with the sheer number of plot threads still danging, I actually am a little pissed off. He wastes months at a time on minor character fights that are basically just extended "Anything you can do I can do better!" plots, and now he's ending it in a handful of weeks? That's not even time for him to wrap up the main fight with Ichigo, let alone the two or three other threads he's pulled out just in the last month. This is a sad, depressing ending for a series that used to show so much promise.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little worried about a rushed ending, at the very least the final fight better be a good one, and too the people who have complained umm at least Kubo knew who his final villain was instead of constantly replacing him with someone else *glares at Kishimoto
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Y'know what, actually kinda really mad at all the time wasted in this arc. Here's a list of just the dangling plot threads I can remember off the top of my head:

spoiler[Harribel's been kidnapped in the Nazi Ghost dimension for four years and hasn't been mentioned since.
What was Unohana's bankai actually supposed to be?
Werewolf Komamura was going off to do something important, but was never seen again.
Fullbringers. Why even waste that single panel on them if they're not going to do anything.
Those family heirlooms that Yoruichi's trap brother brought that were totally gonna help them win the fight but were never seen again.
Aizen has yet to do absolutely anything despite wasting several chapters having him released and banter with the cast.
Nemu is just a brain in Mayuri's pocket right now.
DILF Squad appeared a couple weeks ago to do something ill-definied and secret.
Someone please just kill Giant Immortal Thor already.
Are Matsumoto and the Visored guys still zombies?
What has Nel done since she reappeared, and how the hell did she get back to her original adult form anyway?
Kenpachi's zanpakuto was Yachiru or something? How does that work we saw her with her own shikai????
Actual ending to Terminator Izuru vs Megachickens fight.
Actual ending to Urahara vs Ugly Pig-Faced man fight.
Actual ending to Chad vs Whoever the Hell he's fighting this time fight.
Whatever happened to those two annoying kids that were in the veeeeery start of this arc and seemed like they were going to have any relevance to the plot?]
Orra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Man this is being rushed. Just like Naruto. There's way too many plot points that need to be addressed as well as the 1000 year war flashback. This might end even more misconstrued than Naruto. No way Ywach can be defeated in 5 16-17 page long chapters.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Orra wrote:
Man this is being rushed. Just like Naruto. There's way too many plot points that need to be addressed as well as the 1000 year war flashback. This might end even more misconstrued than Naruto. No way Ywach can be defeated in 5 16-17 page long chapters.
all we can do is blame the editors as Jump, I hear Kubo and them didn't have a good relationship, all we can hope is that the chapters are longer then usual but that could be just wishful thinking. it's a shame because I thought this arc was really good for the most part (don't throw rocks please) and I've been with this series for years and I don't want it to end like shit just like the train wreck that is Naruto
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
CelestialEmpress wrote:
spoiler[Werewolf Komamura was going off to do something important, but was never seen again.]

spoiler[Komamura is dead/dying/a regular wolf forever; he sacrificed his heart to his dog sensei. I thought it was a very sad ending to a character that was always worried about where he belonged in the world because of his outward appearance.]

CelestialEmpress wrote:
spoiler[Nemu is just a brain in Mayuri's pocket right now.]

spoiler[His plan is to rebuild her. I don't think we really need a lot more. That was also a great story/string of chapters.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7