• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop Briefly Reposted Subtitled Angel's Egg Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Brand wrote:
Fansubs hardsub the text in making the karaoke much easier to do (like you can't remove the subs).

No they don't. Karaoke subs are handled the same way as regular dialogue. It's more time consuming because the person coding the subs has to sync every word to the lyrics, and that has nothing to do with whether it's hard or soft subbed.

Fair enough, I have never seen that done with soft subs.
Most fansubs have used softsubbed karaoke since 2011-12 or so, when new rendering software that allowed more complex softsubbed karaoke and typesetting effects in real time became available. It did result in something of a "hope you bought a new PC last week unless you like lots of lag!" arms race, but many of the effects are comparable to those in the old hardsub days.

The difference is that DVD and BD subs would have to hardsub things like karaoke effects and moving text. And unlike downloaders, buyers could legitimately feel entitled to video without hardcoded intrusions.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
I don't get what people are upset about. Tokyopop should've done their homework on what they put up, but the vitriol seems overblown. It seems everyone is mad they're being shamed for looking at fansubs...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
I don't get what people are upset about. Tokyopop should've done their homework on what they put up, but the vitriol seems overblown. It seems everyone is mad they're being shamed for looking at fansubs...

It is because Tokyo Pop used to be a legal manga and (briefly) anime company. They have previously posted anti-fansub/scanlation messages. Regardless of your position on the subject they should practice what they preach.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Right, but it sounds like it was an honest mistake, and people are jumping on Levy simply because they were called out for their not-so-honest mistakes. Unbalanced reciprocity.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Nothing unbalanced about it. For most anime and manga fans, Stu Levy is persona non grata. If you could measure popularity in points his would be in the negative thousands.

As noted in some of the posts above, he probably knew exactly what he was doing. He just didn't expect to be caught at it.
overlordrae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Even if it was an official translation and not a fansub, Tokyopop still wouldn't have been in the right because their business wouldn't have been the one that had the rights and didn't contact the company that did have the rights.

It'd be like Viz posting scanlations of Kodansha's stuff after saying scanlations were wrong and sending C&Ds to fans.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
As noted in some of the posts above, he probably knew exactly what he was doing. He just didn't expect to be caught at it.

Oh, OK, so everyone is just guessing; thanks for clearing that up for me.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Alan45 wrote:

Oh, OK, so everyone is just guessing; thanks for clearing that up for me.

Not guessing, he straight-up admitted to it.
Quote:
@bunnystardust: so you just took a fansub off YouTube & reuploaded it?
@stulevy: correct
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Even if the show had been legally subtitled and streamed on another site, he did not have streaming rights for it. So either way what he did was illegal.

Such behavior in a one time professional is inexcusable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3