• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Attack on Titan Tops Most Disappointing Movie Ranking

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxs2d2ace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
Does anybody know what their top 10 best of was?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
If you want to make your own story, then make you own damn story. Don't take something that already has a story and "adapt it" to "you vision". If you're adapting a manga, STICK TO THE DAMN STORY. This goes for movies and anime. I'm still salty about BeeTrain violating the Tsubasa manga. And I will never forgive GONZO for Rosario+Vampire.

Most of the most famous movies in the world are adaptations, and all of them are altered in some way. Gone with the Wind. The Wizard of Oz. The Shawshank Redemption. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Shrek. All those classic Disney fairy tale movies. Every superhero movie ever made.

The last time someone made a serious attempt at an adaptation without changing anything was Psycho, which was a shot-for-shot twin, and it bombed.

Camiru Mylle wrote:
What the hell? Whiplash!????
Are there a lot of jazz players in Japan, because I'd understood if they got disappointed?

Maybe they don't like devil instructors (oh please Japan is known for ridiculousness)

Or was it J.K Simmons? (he's awesome!)

I don't understand, why???? Hahahha I honestly love the film, along with Grand Budapest and Birdman.

My best guess is that the Japanese population doesn't take well to a story with a highly negative, dark view on school life and particularly on educating youngsters. That being said, I have no idea how movies like Mean Girls or games like Bully fared in Japan.

Nevertheless, the premise for Whiplash contrasts sharply with a lot of anime coming out nowadays, which depicts school life as idyllic and instructors and teachers as well-meaning and benevolent (if sometimes misguided or airheaded).

Ali07 wrote:
Personally, I'd have Age of Ultron higher on the list.

This isn't a matter of opinion. It's a matter of the amount of yen that went into the box office.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Every superhero movie ever made.

Wait, Hancock was an adaption of another work?

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
Personally, I'd have Age of Ultron higher on the list.

This isn't a matter of opinion. It's a matter of the amount of yen that went into the box office.

I was stating my opinion on where it ranked, I did not indicate that its ranking was based on opinion. Thought that starting the sentence with personally indicated my opinion, rather than that the ranking was based on opinion.

I am of the opinion that less people should've spent their money on something other than Age of Ultron. Was really hoping to like that movie, and was looking forward to hearing James Spader as Ultron...but, I found that the way Ultron was written was what I enjoyed the least about the movie.

I've been buying the Marvel movies, as I've wanted to see these characters on the big screen since I was a kid. AoU will be a hole in my collection, as I don't want to spend more money on that one.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
All right. To me it conveyed that someone out there has control over where these movies ranked, and that if you were in charge, you'd have had a different order than that.

And yeah, I know there are original superhero themes. I myself should've started with "practically," to take into account the rare superhero movie that's an original concept.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:46 am Reply with quote
Laughing Well, seeing as how (seemingly) most superhero movies that aren't based off a comic property don't seem to do what Batman/Avengers do at the box office, I wonder how many original ones we'll be seeing in coming years.

But, that is a topic for another forum.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, isn't this just a case of getting what you asked for. In all the stories and reviews on ANN, I didn't see all this negativity for the AoT movies.

But you ask a bunch of people what movies they hated, it would make sense that a lot of popular movies would be on the top.

I would rather have a poll where you had to put your top ten movies you loved, and then put the top ten movies you hated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3