• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Wars Beats Spirited Away's Opening Weekend Record in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Japanese people are big Star Wars fans, the least I can hope is that over there they haven't made an industry out of ad hominen attacks on George Lucas like American media has.

I couldn't read any more Star Wars: The Force Awakens movie reviews because haf the written revie is spent attacking George Lucas before gushing about the movie, I can only hope that Japanese people enjooy Star Wars more than America seems to.
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Japanese people are big Star Wars fans, the least I can hope is that over there they haven't made an industry out of ad hominen attacks on George Lucas like American media has.

I couldn't read any more Star Wars: The Force Awakens movie reviews because haf the written revie is spent attacking George Lucas before gushing about the movie, I can only hope that Japanese people enjooy Star Wars more than America seems to.

Rude comments like that are pretty rare in Japan, but Japanese culture doesn't really have reviews though. Reviews are kind of like saying your opinion means more than someone eases, and that kind of mentality isn't approved of in Japan. I kind of like it. Terms like critically-acclaimed or critically-panned have no meaning in Japan. You mostly just get people blogging their thoughts on things, but never in that authoritative tone that western reviews use.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why so many anime fans are freaking out about this. Spirited Away is a 14 year old movie and Star Wars has always been massively popular in Japan. Something was bound to top Spirited Away sooner or later but for some reason, some anime fans are unable to accept that some people might like something more than anime, gasp the horrors. And it just strikes me as a bit arrogant to me for a bunch of Western anime fans to be bashing the Japanese for not obsessing over this 14 year old movie. I may be biased though because I don't worship Spirited Away as Miyazaki's greatest work and personally I enjoyed Nausicaa a lot more. But frankly I'm tired of the term "overhyped" in general which seems to be used as an insult for any popular movie that someone doesn't happen to like just because it's popular because being popular is evil or something.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:52 am Reply with quote
Not really a shocker. Star Wars is highly popular in Japan and has been since the late 70s. Don't get too mad over this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3