• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kiss Him, Not Me GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I remember I stopped reading one manga with that premise at some point. Can't for the life of me remember the name, but I know there was something about taking revenge in it, because the guy was bullied by women when he was fat.

Masamune-kun no Revenge
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
And no, i don't think there are a lot of (if any) harem series with fat male leads (who turn handsome all of a sudden), but that's pretty telling in and on itself since the look of the lead simply doesn't seem to matter much at all.

Yeah, it's a rare thing.

And I'm in agreement that the looks of the male MC in a harem don't seem to matter. It's usually not something that is ever referred to in story, as they have some sort of built-in characteristic that lures the ladies in...usually, it's cause they're a really nice guy. Laughing

At the same time, as I mentioned before, it is rare to see a male harem lead that does not have an appealing (unsure if that is really the right word) character design. There aren't any I can think of, off the top of my head, where I'd say that the guy isn't good looking.

Maybe some are plain looking, but I kind of put that on (rightly or wrongly) the whole "self insert" aspect of harems.

killjoy_the wrote:
I remember I stopped reading one manga with that premise at some point. Can't for the life of me remember the name, but I know there was something about taking revenge in it, because the guy was bullied by women when he was fat.

Ah, Masamune-kun's Revenge? And, from what I know of the series, I thought his target was just one girl that bullied him?

Personally, I'm going to be getting that manga, when Seven Seas releases it next year.
marvel knight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Merida wrote:
And no, i don't think there are a lot of (if any) harem series with fat male leads (who turn handsome all of a sudden), but that's pretty telling in and on itself since the look of the lead simply doesn't seem to matter much at all.

Yeah, it's a rare thing.

And I'm in agreement that the looks of the male MC in a harem don't seem to matter. It's usually not something that is ever referred to in story, as they have some sort of built-in characteristic that lures the ladies in...usually, it's cause they're a really nice guy. Laughing

At the same time, as I mentioned before, it is rare to see a male harem lead that does not have an appealing (unsure if that is really the right word) character design. There aren't any I can think of, off the top of my head, where I'd say that the guy isn't good looking.

Maybe some are plain looking, but I kind of put that on (rightly or wrongly) the whole "self insert" aspect of harems.

killjoy_the wrote:

Ah, Masamune-kun's Revenge? And, from what I know of the series, I thought his target was just one girl that bullied him?

Personally, I'm going to be getting that manga, when Seven Seas releases it next year.

Yeah, those are some nice points you make there.
Harem leads are supposed to be stand ins for the audience, which is why little to none merchandise gets made for them and they are usually said to be be plain looking/unattractive in show but like you mentioned about the character designs, the leads do look like the only normal looking non generic males in their classrooms except if they have a perverted male friend.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
marvel knight wrote:
the leads do look like the only normal looking non generic males in their classrooms except if they have a perverted male friend.

Hahaha, very true. Then there is also the "handsome rival", the guy who thinks they're better looking than the harem MC, and can not grasp how the MC has a harem in the first place. But, the character design isn't that much better looking than the harem MC's (in most cases).

At the same time, as someone else pointed out earlier, since the harem MC is usually a self insert...a person's fantasy doesn't usually include an "ugly" version of themselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3