• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Does A Stronger US Dollar Help Anime Companies?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
@ jr0904

A rising yen might help the R1 licensees, but it would be worse for the licensors. An illustration should help:

Let's say I joined the production committee of Super Robot Moe Force: Maiden's Final Love Ultra and paid ¥1 million for the international rights. Let's then say I turned around and, after all my campaigning, was only able to license it for a total contract of $12,000 at time when $1 = ¥100 - if my overhead's ¥200,000, I just broke even. However, if between the time I sign the paper and the time I take payment the yen falls to 120:1, I just made a ¥240,000 profit. If the yen had risen to 80:1, instead I'd have take a ¥240,000 loss.

spoiler[Of course, this does nothing for the common man whose savings are being eroded because of relentless currency debasement.]
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Haterater wrote:
I'm kind of hoping for more Canadian VA talent as well. Miss alot of VAs from them on newer anime.

Well, going by the Japanese definition of "anime" meaning "animation" and that definition meaning it in general, then you could say that they have been newer titles.

Meant more on newer dub anime titles, plus if an old anime got a new dub treatment. Something just seems amiss for me not hearing them from good situations like that that back in the day, companies would do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3