• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saban Listed as Promoting Smile Precure to Licensees as Glitter Force

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:43 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
geishageek wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:

Smile Precure's main characters were in second grade, so 13-14 years old. This listing has them as "preteen" girls. Meaning more than just the anime's name will be changed.

2nd grade is about 8-9 years old for most US schools, not 13-14. Pre-teen would be a accurate description for them.

Wait. By 'second grade' do they mean second grade in elementary school or second grade in middle school (Japanese middle school)? If so, then the characters would be 13-14.

Second Grade Middle School
They attend a Middle School they're all in the same class too, so they're all 13-14

I think the "preteen" age is just too explain that they're in middle school (which is 11-13 for most Americans) so I'd rather them stick to that instead of aging them up as American High School freshman
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
If anyone else had any other doubt, World Screen's MIPCOM edition had the following image in the front page of Saban's line up:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPrE0EqW8AAkyoY.png:orig

So it's definitely happening.

(EDIT: Apparently I can't past an image on here, so a link will do)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:59 am Reply with quote
In their defense (of sorts), Saban helped popularize sentai here with the butchered Power Rangers.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
God, why is this happening in 2015? And why did they pick what was possibly the most otaku of Precure series?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
God, why is this happening in 2015? And why did they pick what was possibly the most otaku of Precure series?

Well, I think Saban picked the one that most plays to its power ranger's strengths, yes?

Only "Yes! Pretty Cure 5" would be better but that one is old and likely not part of the licensing deal.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
^Yeah, let's not forget that Smile had just ended in Japan around the time they picked it up so it was still new at the time..
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
In their defense (of sorts), Saban helped popularize sentai here with the butchered Power Rangers.
That's a pretty different situation. With Power Rangers, Saban set out to create an entirely different show using stock footage from Sentai. They didn't have many other options, since simply dubbing the live action actors would have looked terrible, and networks probably wouldn't have been interested in airing a show with an all-Asian cast back then (or even today, probably). Those concerns don't really apply to an animation adaptation, so it's harder to give Saban a pass for editing the show.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
Ooohhh shit, this is gonna get hacked to death. What channel would it air on if it DOES air?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
All in all, what will make "Glitter Force" a success is if the accompanied merchandise like toys will sell. Heck, wasn't "Mew Mew Power" cut short because 4Kids couldn't secure a toy deal despite getting solid TV ratings?
Jex2193

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
phoenixalia wrote:
geishageek wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:

Smile Precure's main characters were in second grade, so 13-14 years old. This listing has them as "preteen" girls. Meaning more than just the anime's name will be changed.

2nd grade is about 8-9 years old for most US schools, not 13-14. Pre-teen would be a accurate description for them.

Wait. By 'second grade' do they mean second grade in elementary school or second grade in middle school (Japanese middle school)? If so, then the characters would be 13-14.

Second Grade Middle School
They attend a Middle School they're all in the same class too, so they're all 13-14

I think the "preteen" age is just too explain that they're in middle school (which is 11-13 for most Americans) so I'd rather them stick to that instead of aging them up as American High School freshman

I think "preteen" doesn't work that well since it also depends on one's definition. For me it means people who are 10-12 which is late elementary school.
Also second year [of] middle school would have been a better choice of words. /end nitpick
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
Smile girls are second year in middle school, which makes them 8th graders, so 14 is their assumed age.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
Didn't they prove that as already false? especially with the Power Rider thing?
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
All in all, what will make "Glitter Force" a success is if the accompanied merchandise like toys will sell. Heck, wasn't "Mew Mew Power" cut short because 4Kids couldn't secure a toy deal despite getting solid TV ratings?
Was that the prerequisite for licensing the second half because I just recall that they just failed to license the second half.

As for "Glitter Force", I wouldn't be that apprehensive about it if it wasn't for the fact that they initially wanted to call it "Gangnam Girls" (like seriously, what were they thinking?) and that they're going to chop off almost 20% of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing this is going to be like the anime dubs that 4kids and Dic did. And 40 episodes? How much are they going to cut? Hopefully we'll get an uncut release that includes the Japanese dub and a new English dub later on like what was done for Sailor moon, even if it takes nearly a decade.

Also I can already see this bombing due to poor marketing and bad time slots. I mean, look at what nickelodeon did to Winx club.
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
LostCause126 wrote:
So basically we've all decided as some sort of hive mind that this is going to suck before we even really know anything about it?

Because I've already had to handle one forum ban for someone today for whining that the show is going to be ruined forever because (*gasp*) the characters might have English names.

This is Saban. It's already a given. Watch the Digimon Fusion dub (if you dare) which had the most changes enacted in any Digimon dub ever, even some that contradict earlier dubs and official material. That's why people in this thread are worried.

I've long since stopped giving a shit about whether the characters have English names or not, since after the daytime Toonami era, as long as the show makes it through intact. But no, it seems not even that can happen in this case.

Also, as someone who's merely a curious onlooker to the PreCure franchise, someone mind predicting what content in Smile could be considered "heretical" by these guys?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10