• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Unveils Gangsta. Broadcast Dub Cast, Preview Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
@Pleinair

The reason you see support for dubs is that not everything is dubbed and the people who prefer dubs are bothered by that. The reason you saw support for the dub version of Gangsta is that is what this thread is about. The only reason for a subtitle supporter to read it beyond curiosity is to troll.

The reason you don't see a lot of support for subtitles is that it is unnecessary. With a very few exceptions (usually due to the Japanese company) all North American anime is subtitled. Further, no one is trying to take that away. As a result there are less people advocating for sub only releases. Though there always seems to be a few of them.

In those releases where both audio streams are available, it is simply a matter of personal choice which someone listens to. In fact you can listen to both at different times. What I don't understand is why a person like yourself who prefers subtitled anime would bother to listen to the dub or to insert yourself into a discussion of the quality of the dub. The fact that Funimation wishes to provide a service to other people is no skin off your nose at all. Why would you care. It doesn't limit your ability to listen to the subtitled version in any way.

I listen to both versions depending on the show and the circumstances. I prefer subtitled versions but I'm always glad to see the availability of a dubbed version. This is because it shows a healthier North American anime industry. That is, it shows a company thought a show was likely to sell enough to make dubbing worthwhile. Also it increases the number of people I can show it to. Some people do not like, or cannot deal with, subtitles.

This issue was supposed to be settled when DVDs and later Blu-ray's came out since it was possible to provide both audio versions on the same disk. It never ceases to amaze me when it crops up again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3