• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime About Women in Sports

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
The poll is kinda....not right IMO. "What Winter 2015 Anime Was the Best?" should be only anime that have actually ended. On-going shows could easily be ruined by bad endings. It also just makes more sense this way. Please do it this way in the future. Rating an anime based on half the show is just ignorant.

Since most anime do not fully adapt the source, you migth aswell not rate any anime on the off-chance they get another season.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
[...] BAV covers a myopia cornucopia of sports from marathon swimming to roller-pulling.

[...]

Fixed that error for you. Anime smile
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I'm also surprised that Princess Nine isn't here for a number of reasons. First because it's more explicitly about the idea of "women in sports" (as opposed to a sports show where the main character happens to be a woman) than most other entries here.

One of the plot points comes from the fact that most Japanese high schools don't have a girls' baseball team, only a softball team, and how the heroines challenge this by forming a baseball team and brashly declaring that they'll beat the boys to the national championship in no more than three years. It's far from a feminist screed, (the main focus is on the girls becoming better players through their friendship) but that's still a part of the story, and it's more subversive than anime usually gets.

Not to mention that it might be one of the most successful sports anime ever in North America (unless you count stuff involving fictional sports like IGPX.) The genre is really unpopular here, but ADV promoted this show like crazy back in the day, and it won a nice cult following, while male-centered sports shows like Eyeshield 21 and Prince of Tennis bombed completely.

I feel like that is only a half truth. Its relatively obscure and although re released several times, its like you said cult at best. Not to mention the fact that Eye Shield and Prince of tennis are 100s of episodes while princess nine was 26.

Besides if we count racing as a sport I think Initial D is miles ahead, pun intended in terms of popularity and sales, as is probably hajime no ippo.
diadumenian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
I'm glad a couple of people mentioned Bamboo Blade. I would definitely recommend that one.

I'm kind of surprised there's never been an anime about softball. That's something I would be interested in watching.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
I loved Kaleido Star when it came out. Glad it was mentioned here.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
The poll is kinda....not right IMO. "What Winter 2015 Anime Was the Best?" should be only anime that have actually ended. On-going shows could easily be ruined by bad endings. It also just makes more sense this way. Please do it this way in the future. Rating an anime based on half the show is just ignorant.

It's perfectly fine to do it this way. People aren't holding off their opinion on Sazae-san until the Earth is swallowed by the sun and it finally ends. Same for shows like One Piece, no one's watching that show 16 years after it started and are still reserving judgement until the last episode airs.

So if, for example, the JoJo's episodes that aired this winter were the best episodes of anime that aired this winter then it could reasonably be be considered the best anime of the winter.

By the same logic, the poll should include anime that continued into the Winter season. I know I want to vote for Shirobako, but was forced to pick from Maria or Aldnoah instead.

(Went for Aldnoah, if only because it somewhat tickled my "I wish LoGH would come out in English already!" wishes. Lohengramm > Slain, but I liked the parallels.)

For this weeks list, those were some good picks, though Battle Athletes Victory remains one of my biggest better-than-I-thought-it-would-be surprises, and Bamboo Blade is definitely a favorite.
noriah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quote
Just wanted to pop in and mention that Ace o Nerae! was a major influence on Top o Nerae! aka Gunbuster
I was quite pleased when I watched Ace the first time to compare/contrast the two, and it'd be cool if this exposes more Gainax fans to the cool stuff that influenced them. Smile
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

I feel like that is only a half truth. Its relatively obscure and although re released several times, its like you said cult at best. Not to mention the fact that Eye Shield and Prince of tennis are 100s of episodes while princess nine was 26.

Besides if we count racing as a sport I think Initial D is miles ahead, pun intended in terms of popularity and sales, as is probably hajime no ippo.

Well, that's why I said it was a bigger hit in America. ES21 and PoT did well enough to earn a bunch of episodes in Japan, but in America, both animes were commercial bombs and their DVD releases were never completed.

You're right about Initial D, which was pretty popular across the board. And while the anime didn't do very well, Eyeshield 21's manga was pretty popular in the west (it helps that it's exponentially better than the anime.)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
[...] BAV covers a myopia cornucopia of sports from marathon swimming to roller-pulling.

[...]

Fixed that error for you. Anime smile

That was rather farsighted of you. Razz
stevek504

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
The first anime I thought of when I saw the title of the column was Suzuka. I was surprised it wasn't listed. Perhaps it is more of a love story than about "women in sports" now that I think about it. Maybe something like this is the case with Bamboo Blade as I think of it as a comedy (with sports as a subplot).
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:36 am Reply with quote
Figure skating is my favorite sport, so I seeked out Ginban Kaleidoscope. From what I've seen of it, it's a lot of fun and has a surprisingly good English dub, but it's old and has limited animation, so it's not as pretty as it could be. I wish the popularity of figure skating in Japan would inspire more anime that can really capture the beauty and intricacy of the footwork, and the different types of skating--women's, men's, couples and even ice dancing (it's an Olympic event too!).
Princess Nine had a lot of Girl Power! to it, and you gotta love that it actually has the girls play against the boys. That's rarely done in fiction or in real life in any sport (besides world level Little League, in which boys and girls can play together. At least I think that's the case...)

Categorizing shows within a season based on whether they end or started in another season is getting ridiculous. We never got a chance to vote for Shirobako or Parasyte because they didn't *end* in 2014 and they didn't *start* in 2015. I don't believe I'm the only one who thinks that even just taking the second half of it into consideration, Shirobako kicked the other winter anime shows' butts! Let us vote for it already!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote
Although only an OVA, I figured Variable Geo would fit right in, as the show features use of martial arts, supernatural powers aside.

On a side note, it's refreshing that people are bringing up Battle Athletess Victory. Smile I thought I was the only person that watched it.
Desslok

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see that Princess Nine got no love in the list. . . and relieved to see it get plenty of love in the comments. That show was great - I totally need to rewatch it.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Kind of weird timing on this list; I'm rewatching classic Sailor Moon, and they make a reference to Attack No. 1, which totally went over my head the last time I saw it. Anime hyper

I think I wanna' check out the shogi one. I love murder mysteries, and don't know anything about shogi, so this could be interesting. Anime hyper
LOVED Aim for the Ace! in both it's TV and movie incarnations, and I was always fond of Kaleido Star. X3 I miss the go-getter, work-til-you-drop kinds of heroines from sports-centric shojos. ^^; I did try looking for Hikari no Densetsu, but it's only subbed for the first two episodes in English, and everything else seems to be in French or Italian. DX
Bagheera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first 3 episodes of Ace and I am loving it. The main character is placed in a nightmare situation by the "Demon" Coach. I can't say I blame the antagonist much either as she is also mind F'd by the douchebag coach.

ON the lighter side I love the little parts with her cat, kind of a precursor to Usagi and Luna.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4