• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Cameos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
While more of a shout-out than a cameo:

Sora's impersonation of Gendo Ikari in one of the episodes of 'No Game, No Life' (I think Shiro was doing Fuyutsuki in the background, too) was totally awesome. Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
Hell if you want the king of cameos then Go Nagai and Tezuka would win hands down. Because you can't pick up anything they've worked on and not have some character cross over. Tezuka's characters are practically actors so that goes beyond cameos. As for Go Nagai watch any production by his studio and chances are someone from either, Devilman, Sukeban Boy or the Abashiri Family show up in the crowd. As well as characters from Mazinger-Z.

The anime series Ray Black Jack makes an appearance whereas in the manga his presence is made known but his face is never shown.

I guess my show pick for last year would be 'Rage of Bahamut' as I can't really pick a worse show.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
Are Stan Lee from Heroman, J-sensei from Sket Dance, or any of the parodies in Binbougami Ga! worth for honorable mentions Smile ?

Worst of 2014 huh? My picks are: Mahouka, Captain Earth, M3, Hamatora and Nobunaga the Fool. But seriously, Mahouka takes the cake.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote
bobob101 wrote:
Things like Gintama and Bobobo make their bread and butter with references to other series and shows. The best Bobobo reference only works though if you are familiar with Yiddish Holocaust songs. It totally works.

Wait, What? Can you elaborate on that? Is there a wiki or Youtube clip where I can look that up?

Gotta agree that Gintama is chock full of references, cameos and parodies. I was surprised it didn't make it on the list, but that's what the forum is for.

Voting for 5 worst series is harder if you have to have actually seen the shows and can't just rely on their lousy reputation. Even then, it's not easy to judge how bad a series is just based on an ep or two. I saw the first ep of Pupa, didn't think it was that bad, but it was just taken off Crunchyroll.

Based on what I saw that was particularly weak, disappointing, I'll have to think about it.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
I didn't know that weird boy from that Sailor Moon episode was a reference to Shin-chan. Interesting lol.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
I am a big horror fan so it stung especially for me. I have not watched much of the others mentioned but at least it did not set up an interesting premise and then spend a number of episodes about a guy being literally eaten by his sister (which was funny in an unironic sense).

That episode where the entire thing was just her eating him and saying "onii-chan" over and over was one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

I was able to pick a good five: Pupa, Fuuun Ishi Dai Shogun, Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance and two sequels: Maken-Ki! and Date A Live.

I think of the five, Maken-Ki! would be the worst, which pairs it nicely with Infinite goddamed Stratos from 2013. Pupa was a mess, but Maken-Ki! didn't have a worthwhile second or a trace of an interesting idea. I think I'd rate utter worthlessness below failed attempts at something interesting. The true stinkers manage to somehow do both, and are usually aborted messes, like Aoi Sekai no Chuushin de from a few years back, or the immortal Mars of Destruction.
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:38 am Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
So Space Dandy, Silver Spoon S2, Mahou Shoujo Taisen and Dai Shogun it is.
I-I don't know what to think.

I haven't watched so many bad shows this year(maybe I'm good at avoiding them lol) but my picks were Mahouka, Pupa, Glasslip and Akame ga Kill.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:32 am Reply with quote
I'll have to mull over for more, but for sure Glasslip, the Rowdy Sumo whatever one, and *sigh* Crystal, for making me groan, roll my eyes, and pull my hair out every episode. I feel like this is my Guilty Crown all over again; I keep waiting for it to get better (and then frothing at the mouth as it continually lowers my expectations).
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:28 am Reply with quote
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:08 am Reply with quote
I think the list is more references than cameos. I did a picture quiz a couple of years ago, and one of the subjects was cameos.

Here are the pictures from it (the images are linked because they are quite big), see if you can see what main series each one is, not only the guest (in fact the guest should be obvious):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2962862/2012Quiz/21.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2962862/2012Quiz/22.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2962862/2012Quiz/23.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2962862/2012Quiz/25.jpg

I also included this one in the round, but it's more just a reference like in the list:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2962862/2012Quiz/24.jpg
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
Panty and Stocking? There's one instance that is full of cameos/references to other GAINAX or Western Cartoons.

Unlimited Hyoubo Kyouske. The Angry Video Game Nerd and The Nostalgia Critic appeared there.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
That was a nice list. It gave me some interesting things to look for if I watch some of those shows.
Thank you.

The scenes with the Haruhi characters in Lucky Star were not cameos, they were cosplay. But the article said that they were cosplayers, so I am fine with that.

The "real" Haruhi Suzumiya did have a cameo in Lucky Star. She was in a TV commercial for some kind of juice and was looking rather hot, on the beach.

I also wonder about the customer in the cosplay cafe who looked like Kyon. Was that an employee cosplaying as part of the show? Or a customer who just happened to look like Kyon? Or was it really Kyon?
I never actually thought about that when I was watching Lucky Star. It just occurred to me now.

When I watch Lucky Star again, and I definitely will watch it again, I will try to pay attention to the other characters from other shows and figure out if they are cosplayers or actual cameos.

This was an interesting article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
What makes the references to Haruhi in Lucky*Star so precious is that Hirano Aya voices both characters. I especially liked the scene where Konata and the girls are going to watch Hirano perform live in concert!

Kill la Kill has a bunch of references to other shows of which here are a few I know for certain. The first ED is a tribute to Sukeban Deka, a famous series about a delinquent transfer student armed with a yo-yo. There's also a well-known easter egg showing the two hoods from Pulp Fiction in the background. There's another voice-actress cross-reference as well. At one point during the battles between Ryoko and Jakazure Nonon a close-up of the latter's face makes her look like Haruko from FLCL, as both characters were voiced by Shintani Mayumi.

Last edited by yuna49 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
Not mentioning the Zeta Gundam cameo in he first Machine Robo series? I'm disappointed. Laughing Other than that the only entries on this list I have seen are Excel Saga and Build Fighters and with the former I am not familiar with what is spoofed.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Arale from Dr. Slump appeared in a minor role in a small number of Dragon Ball episodes, as well as the third movie. She actually helped Goku defeat a couple of major villains. She appeared in various cameos throughout the rest of the franchise.

First thing that sprang to mind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5