• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: As CW's Vortexx Block Disappears, So Does Saturday Morning Cartoons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Saturday Morning Cartoons died because there is no point for them to exist. Multiple channels run cartoons 24/7. There is nothing special about Saturday morning cartoons. When I was a kid, cartoons came on M-F from 6AM to 8AM and then 2:30PM to 5PM and that was it for the weekdays. If you missed something in that time, oh well. There were no cartoons to watch anywhere else. In that world, Saturday morning cartoons were indeed special because cartoons were special and you couldn't watch them whatever you wanted.

I bet any kid reading this article wouldn't understand why we call them "Saturday Morning" cartoons but we don't call cartoons that come on Wednesday Night "Wednesday Night Cartoons", or Tuesday morning ones "Tuesday morning cartoons". That's what killed them. They aren't special. What is so special about waking up on a Saturday morning to watch cartoons when they come on 24/7?
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Nickelodeon ship The Legend of Korra to internet stream it seems like if you're a poor kid. Your not worth catering to as a audience to be served. They have gotten rid of music, bookstores and shot the prices of these items out of the price range of the 99 percent. Anyway most kids will have to slave away in sweat shops to eat if they can fine a ready slave master. So this society has never cared about anybody of below the age of 18 or above the age of 49 so why are you surprised at this move. America television has always been advertising interrupted by programing. So drop dead kids your not needed anymore. Mad

[EDIT: Don't italicize the whole post. -TK]
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda sad to see Saturday morning cartoons are no more. But to be honest, the saturday morning cartoon was declining since the early 1990's, so it was going to happened and this year is it. Even the Washington Post wrote an article recently that acknowledge it.

It's really sad to see this dead, I'm really sad the next generation of children won't get chance to experience what we previous generation like about Saturday morning animation. I had fond memory watching Saturday morning cartoon when I was younger, but now it's all nothing but in the past.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
The question is now what becomes the new Saturday tradition...
ichii_1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The question is now what becomes the new Saturday tradition...

Reality (Fake) TV shows Sad

I know what ruined it, SH!TTY DUBS! (95%) their pronunciation is horrible and they're getting paid for this, they should be in jail.

Crunchroll should get a dubbed corner going Smile
Animexcel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Ahh man, I remember waking up 6am to catch the beginning of Saturday morning cartoons when I was a child during the late 80s-early 90s. I remember shows like: Winnie the Pooh, Captain Planet, The Real Ghostbusters, Sonic the Hedgehog, TMNT, Cowboys of Moo-mesa, Back to the Future and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure had a cartoon too; as well as this Macaulay Culkin show called Wish Kid, and uhh..New Kids on the Block xD..
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
It is somewhat sad to hear, as I remember back when I was 8 I wanted to be a cartoonist make a cartoon to air specifically on saturday mornings... oh well. All I have in terms of memories otherwise is the few times I saw either pokemon, digimon or sonic X on the rare occasions that I would be up early on a Saturday morning. I think when I turned 11 or something and discovered internet I just Marathoned all of that stuff on Youtube and called it a day.
kanechin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
So sad, I remember catching that yugi vs guy with fake exodia cards duel on a saturday morning...now I wait for the death of "reality" tv...please wake up people...that stuff is pure s***.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Deleted several posts for over-quoting.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
As a young child, my Saturday mornings began with KidsWB and Foxkids(Also, on ABC with Megaman, Sonic, etc., but my mains were KWB and Fkids). I remember Power Rangers(MMPR and after), Spiderman, The Tick, X-Men, Carmen San Diego, Digimon(FoxKids even had a Digi-bowl for 1 day), etc. on FoxKids while I watched all the Warner shows, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Megaman, Xaolin Showdown, etc. on KidsWB. The list can just go on and on. I couldnt choose between the two until Foxkids ended.

I remember when they were both on the weekdays, and I would rush home after school finished so I wouldnt miss anything. I remember when FoxKids stopped showing on the weekdays(I later found Digimon airing on UPN by luck), then KidsWB became my #1 favorite after school(not including Toonami since thats cable). I remember when Pokemon aired on the weekdays...from Indigo to Hoenn. I remember when Yu-Gi-Oh! aired on the weekdays. They showed new episodes(and mainly just caught up to the newer episodes that showed on Saturday). They had Dungeon Dice Monsters week, etc. The afternoon block unfortunately ended.

I remember when FoxKids was ending, and they showed all those commercials about the FoxBox coming. Then when it came, it showed shows like Ultraman and Ultimate Muscle(wasnt used to them at first, but they grew on me). Shaman King was the best from the block. Sonic X was good(at least what my young pre-teen self thought). I didn't like it as much as Foxkids. I do remember that "Rocketman" segment till this day.

I remember when Pokemon moved to Cartoonnetwork. There was a feeling of sadness because when I watched the first CN Pokemon episode, there was no epic opening song, and the voices changed. That was a big WTF. Then skip to 2006, Yugioh ended days before I graduated junior high. That hit me hard(because GX aired on CN in fall 2005, and it sucked to me). At the time, I stopped watching Fox, due to 4KidsTV. I knew what shows aired on it, but NOPE! I watched it sometimes from when it started in 05-06, but it was rarely. I do remember that one week when Mew Mew Power and The Batman had the same episode title called "A knight to remember(The Batman)" and "A night to remember(Mew Mew Power)". That summer after Yugioh ended, Yugioh Capsule Monsters aired, but I had already watched the episodes online before(Golden and olden days of Youtube).

Then came the last day of KidsWB, it ended with Megaman(if I recall), and that was it...I stopped watching Saturday morning cartoons for good. I was only in my 1st semester of high school at the age of 13(I was already watching anime on Youtube in 05). I still checked once every couple months to see the changes afterwards so I could be up-to-date. Skip to 2014, I saw a livestream of the last day of Vortexx with Yugioh Zexal. I felt something(nostalgia), yet at the same time, I felt nothing(gave no F's for Vortexx). I simply said "It's over," and recalled the good old days.

I cant believe I typed all this. Must have been the kid in me wanting to turn back time.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
ichii_1 wrote:
I know what ruined it, SH!TTY DUBS! (95%) their pronunciation is horrible and they're getting paid for this, they should be in jail.

Please, just stop talking. >_<
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Saturday Morning Cartoons died because there is no point for them to exist. Multiple channels run cartoons 24/7. What is so special about waking up on a Saturday morning to watch cartoons when they come on 24/7?
Veniamin wrote:
Saturday Morning Cartoons didn't die by us, they died because their Licensors don't care.

And also when networks found out that more kids were watching cable, they washed their hands of the "liability" of the Saturday-morning slot, and just rebroadcast simulcasts of the kids'-cable shows: ABC showed ToonDisney, NBC showed Discovery Kids.
CBS still had licenses with American Greetings trying to get the Care Bears and My Little Pony saturated again, and knew that they didn't have to spend any more money as necessary on cheap Flash animation for a preschool block.

That left only the UHF networks like CW to get syndicated shows like action and dubbed anime, and...wait, CW had a Saturday morning slot?? Shocked

(For me, I knew that Saturday morning was never going to top that 90's Fox block of X-Men:TAS and The Tick. It never got any better for the networks after that.)
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
ReNellGlover wrote:
Don't forget that TPCI also freezes the "To Be Continued" screen (aka the final scene of an episode) by a few seconds, something that's never done in the original version of the Pokemon anime.

Can I ask exactly what is troubling about the last frame of each episode being frozen for a few extra seconds? You are the first person I've actually seen complain about it.
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
As a young child, my Saturday mornings began with KidsWB and Foxkids(Also, on ABC with Megaman, Sonic, etc., but my mains were KWB and Fkids). I remember Power Rangers(MMPR and after), Spiderman, The Tick, X-Men, Carmen San Diego, Digimon(FoxKids even had a Digi-bowl for 1 day), etc. on FoxKids while I watched all the Warner shows, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Megaman, Xaolin Showdown, etc. on KidsWB. The list can just go on and on. I couldnt choose between the two until Foxkids ended.

I remember when they were both on the weekdays, and I would rush home after school finished so I wouldnt miss anything. I remember when FoxKids stopped showing on the weekdays(I later found Digimon airing on UPN by luck), then KidsWB became my #1 favorite after school(not including Toonami since thats cable). I remember when Pokemon aired on the weekdays...from Indigo to Hoenn. I remember when Yu-Gi-Oh! aired on the weekdays. They showed new episodes(and mainly just caught up to the newer episodes that showed on Saturday). They had Dungeon Dice Monsters week, etc. The afternoon block unfortunately ended.

I remember when FoxKids was ending, and they showed all those commercials about the FoxBox coming. Then when it came, it showed shows like Ultraman and Ultimate Muscle(wasnt used to them at first, but they grew on me). Shaman King was the best from the block. Sonic X was good(at least what my young pre-teen self thought). I didn't like it as much as Foxkids. I do remember that "Rocketman" segment till this day.

I remember when Pokemon moved to Cartoonnetwork. There was a feeling of sadness because when I watched the first CN Pokemon episode, there was no epic opening song, and the voices changed. That was a big WTF. Then skip to 2006, Yugioh ended days before I graduated junior high. That hit me hard(because GX aired on CN in fall 2005, and it sucked to me). At the time, I stopped watching Fox, due to 4KidsTV. I knew what shows aired on it, but NOPE! I watched it sometimes from when it started in 05-06, but it was rarely. I do remember that one week when Mew Mew Power and The Batman had the same episode title called "A knight to remember(The Batman)" and "A night to remember(Mew Mew Power)". That summer after Yugioh ended, Yugioh Capsule Monsters aired, but I had already watched the episodes online before(Golden and olden days of Youtube).

Then came the last day of KidsWB, it ended with Megaman(if I recall), and that was it...I stopped watching Saturday morning cartoons for good. I was only in my 1st semester of high school at the age of 13(I was already watching anime on Youtube in 05). I still checked once every couple months to see the changes afterwards so I could be up-to-date. Skip to 2014, I saw a livestream of the last day of Vortexx with Yugioh Zexal. I felt something(nostalgia), yet at the same time, I felt nothing(gave no F's for Vortexx). I simply said "It's over," and recalled the good old days.

I can't believe I typed all this. Must have been the kid in me wanting to turn back time.

Sorry to point this out, but you spelled "Xiaolin" wrong. Mega Man: NT Warrior ended in the U.S. in 2005; the final show aired on Kids' WB! was Eon Kid. Power Rangers and Digimon are still being produced and aired today (a sequel to Digimon Adventure is coming up); Sonic Boom is coming Nov. 8; and, I REALLY hate to say it, but the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise has been weakening for years (if you have Nicktoons, you probably know they never really wanted to air it in the first place. Back in Jan. 2013, they delayed it for 2 months; the longest delay for any show Nicktoons has aired. Now, after more than a month, they've taken ZEXAL off weekdays. They might as well take THAT off their lineup completely, as well). CN premieres of Pokemon DID debut in 2006, and it's still ongoing. At the time, my then-WB and now-CW affiliate WBNX had both Kids' WB! and its replacements (on Sundays and then Saturdays in addition to weekdays) and Fox Kids and ITS replacements (on Sat. and then Sun. in addition to weekdays).
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:
ReNellGlover wrote:
Don't forget that TPCI also freezes the "To Be Continued" screen (aka the final scene of an episode) by a few seconds, something that's never done in the original version of the Pokemon anime.

Can I ask exactly what is troubling about the last frame of each episode being frozen for a few extra seconds? You are the first person I've actually seen complain about it.

No one knows why TPCI does this thing, but back in August 2011, when I got an issue of Nintendo Power with a DVD inside of Pokemon BW ep. 1, the TBC screen WASN'T frozen, which makes it all the more confusing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5