• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: Reconguista in G's 2nd Video, Story, Cast, Staff, Designs Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elder God Demonbane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much about gundam, but is this a new story, like do I have to watch the other gundam anime to understand this?
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Elder God Demonbane wrote:
I don't know much about gundam, but is this a new story, like do I have to watch the other gundam anime to understand this?

I'd say probably not, since most Gundam shows in the late-UC (or made after 1989) are generally self-contained.
Elder God Demonbane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Elder God Demonbane wrote:

I'd say probably not, since most Gundam shows in the late-UC (or made after 1989) are generally self-contained.

thanks
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Can't freaking wait!

daichi383 wrote:
Love Kenichi Yoshida's designs, the mechs look cool and Yuugo Kanno getting more composing work is always awesome after his great work on Birdy, Psycho Pass and currently Jojos.

Agreed, two of my favorites.

Also, Aliida certainly looks a decent bit like Anemone which is great for me, she had a great design.

bahamut623 wrote:
With the first trailer, we couldn't get a good look at the Gundam so I wasn't sure if liked it. But not we finally get a good angle on the head, and it's pretty cool, if a little funky. And for some reason, I love that little bit at 0:45 with the cut-out wedge of the pilot moving along with the mobile suit.

I'm really looking forward to this just from the looks of it. Yoshida's one of my favorite character designers, so I'm interested in anything he's involved in. He's also a pretty great animator (see: Eureka Seven ep 26), so it'd be awesome if gets to do some of that too.

Totally agree. He's a fantastic animator so I hope so too. I'm also expecting some seriously great emotional facial expressions that are going to further enhance this show.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Recent Gundam series have been too male heavy, so I'm excited to see more of a gender balanced cast. Reminds me of SEED, which frankly, is only a good thing in my opinion. Very Happy
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
Huh, Reconquista? I guess they've been reading on Iberian history recently, seeing it is a word with a very specific meaning.

But this is "Reconguista", which has no meaning.

I liked Turn A, so I hope this series will be a success. At least they're not trying to remake the One Year War again.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
You can make something that's accessible to children but still competently written.

So was Gundam AGE, look how the reaction to that ended up.

Still, if that is the case, i won't be too judgmental of it being to kiddized. It really depends on how well written it is. I'd hope it will be good.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
You know looking at the character designs, it reminds me of Captain Earth.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Tenebrae wrote:
Huh, Reconquista? I guess they've been reading on Iberian history recently, seeing it is a word with a very specific meaning.

They changed a letter to fit Japanese fans. The word is effectively the same.

"Reconguista in G was officially unveiled in a Gundam 35th Anniversary event on March 20, 2014. During the unveiling, Tomino explained that the "G" in the title stands for "Gundam", but primarily means "ground". He also explained that the word "reconguista" is a coined word based on the Spanish word reconquista; however, the Japanese audience prefers a hard "g" in the title which necessitated the change."
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
kgw wrote:
Tenebrae wrote:

They changed a letter to fit Japanese fans. The word is effectively the same.

"Reconguista in G was officially unveiled in a Gundam 35th Anniversary event on March 20, 2014. During the unveiling, Tomino explained that the "G" in the title stands for "Gundam", but primarily means "ground". He also explained that the word "reconguista" is a coined word based on the Spanish word reconquista; however, the Japanese audience prefers a hard "g" in the title which necessitated the change."

What's so bad about the k sound
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Probably nothing, since I never heard about Japanese audiencies hating the words 根気 , 根基, 婚期(perseverance, radical and... marriageable age). All of them are "konki".

Also, if you change a Q for a G then it's not the same word. Period.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Probably nothing, since I never heard about Japanese audiencies hating the words 根気 , 根基, 婚期(perseverance, radical and... marriageable age). All of them are "konki".

I think it's less about the k sound at all as much as that the fans wanted a hard G sound to match up with "Gundam" and "G" in the title.

kgw wrote:

Also, if you change a Q for a G then it's not the same word. Period.

It's an artistic choice in a title. That's like saying Se7en isn't Seven. It's recognizable and the meaning is still there. They just used a style choice to fit the show. I don't know why you're so adamant that it has to have it's own special meaning. Even outside of artistic license look at words like color/colour, theater/theatre, and catalog/catalogue . They are the same words with different spellings due to dialect.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking this the more I see of it. The first trailer didn't blow me away but this one hyped me up a bit more.

The setting and story sound cool. I've never seen Eureka Seven, so I don't know if the premise is as similar as everyone says, but a synopsis tells me it's really just the mysterious-girl-drops-robot-on-protagonist bit (and I bet the character designer was chosen because of that). We'll see where it goes but I'm not sure why people are being cautious about their optimism - I can't see many obvious pitfalls except maybe endless shipping, which has never (really) been Tomino's bag anyways.

The mechs are hard to judge right off, but I certainly like them more than anything out of AGE. My only issue is that nothing about the G-Self screams "mysterious advanced MS". It certainly looks a bit different from the others in the show, but while that works well in series like 00 (where nothing resembling a Gundam had ever been seen before), this is a show that plainly connects itself to UC directly. It's weird to have a design with such classic Gundam elements be labeled as futuristic. Then again, I suppose it has been over a millennium since the UC theoretically ended.

kazenoyume wrote:
Recent Gundam series have been too male heavy, so I'm excited to see more of a gender balanced cast. Reminds me of SEED, which frankly, is only a good thing in my opinion. Very Happy

The gender balance is nice, though how they use those characters is important too (something that I feel SEED didn't do very well for the most part, despite having a fairly equal cast). Tomino is...well, he's hit-or-miss on that. We'll see.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Watching that trailer put me slightly at ease, I though this was going to be another built fighters (as in a gundam show for ages 4+). We'll see how it goes, this might be relatively decent if they play their cards right
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
The character designer actually also worked with Tomino before on Overman King Gainer so that's probably another reason he was chosen. Smile

Good point about the main mech.

Yeah, I don't expect shipping to the extent where it gets in the way of the story of this to be a problem at all with Tomino involved.

Agreed, I was pretty disappointed with how those female characters were used in SEED even if there were a decent amount of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3