• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces English Dub for Love Chunibyo & Other Delusions!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Haha, hope this release doesn't find itself in the Glitch Disc forum on Fandom Post...

Oh pls no...

Quote:
Though it is still deeply disappointing and discouraging these problems keep on occurring given Sentai's promise to improve QC/QA months ago. Sigh, please pull it together Sentai... these all too often recurring bugs are driving me buggy!

^Taken from the Glitch Disc forum, from a thread about Sentai Filmworks' GuP release. There are quite a lot of threads about Sentai Filmworks titles, but it's far from all of them.

Hopefully Rightstuf will ship their copies a bit earlier so you American fellows can confirm if this is buyable Razz
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Coool this one would work well dubbed
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

The idea of premium sets from Sentai is very positive. If Waiting in the Summer is eventually dubbed and given the BD treatment, I would pay for a premium set of it.

As would I. I was kinda disappointed that was dvd only, and is a reason I haven't gotten around to buying the series yet.

I am pleased but a bit apprehensive about this news. On the one hand, Chuunibyou is getting a dub and a (hopefully) nice looking premium edition. On the other hand, how much is it going to cost, and how limited? I hope they later release a standard dubbed blu-ray, cause I really want this series on HD. If all else at least there'll be the dvd. Guess I'll wait and see.

Also, what's so culture specific about Chuunibyou? I don't remember anything that Japanese culture specific. Unless people are talking about the imaginary names and attacks?
SouthPacific wrote:

Taken from the Glitch Disc forum, from a thread about Sentai Filmworks' GuP release.
What was wrong with the GuP release? The series or OVA's?
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
When they say culture specific, I think they mean the concept of "Chuunibyou" itself. It doesn't lend itself well to English, so when dubbing they might have to leave the term untranslated as just "Chuunibyou".

I'll probably end up picking up a premium set too, but that depends on what ends up in it. If not I'll stick with the standard. Hope it arrives soon!
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
YES! Now my motivation to actually watch this show sometime has gone up. Thanks, Sentai.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
ChihiroFujisaki wrote:
When they say culture specific, I think they mean the concept of "Chuunibyou" itself. It doesn't lend itself well to English, so when dubbing they might have to leave the term untranslated as just "Chuunibyou".

Yeah, that's one of the things that irked the hell out of me with FUNi and their Is this a Zombie? Of the Dead subs.

They took a complicated concept like Chunibyo and translated it to the simplistic phrase of "self conscious boy".

In this regard, I do hope Sentai just leaves it as is, untranslated as Chunibyo.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
ChihiroFujisaki wrote:
I'll probably end up picking up a premium set too, but that depends on what ends up in it. If not I'll stick with the standard. Hope it arrives soon!

That works if you want the DVD version. According to the RightStuff, Sentai is cancelling the already scheduled, standard BD release.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
^Ah, the eighth grade syndrome itself. Although over here in the US this is more elementary/early middle school age syndrome. They leave it untranslated in the title, so yeah, I think they'll leave it untranslated in the dub (or use eighth grade syndrome, though thats a mouthful).
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Now that sentai has started premium editions, I'm forced to pre-order. Its about time! Smile
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:

Yeah, that's one of the things that irked the hell out of me with FUNi and their Is this a Zombie? Of the Dead subs.

They took a complicated concept like Chunibyo and translated it to the simplistic phrase of "self conscious boy".

In this regard, I do hope Sentai just leaves it as is, untranslated as Chunibyo.

It seems all over the place what the translators attempt to localize it as. Inari Kon Kon used "dramatic teenager". Not FUNi, but the translation for Seitokai Yakuindomo used "goth" and "childish fantasies" in the same episode.
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
ChihiroFujisaki wrote:

That works if you want the DVD version. According to the RightStuff, Sentai is cancelling the already scheduled, standard BD release.

I knew that the May Blu-Ray release was canceled, but I thought a standard edition Blu-Ray with the dub would be available alongside the premium?

Looking at it now, there really is nothing that says that, huh. I guess I'll just have to get the premium then, since there's no way I'm getting a KyoAni show that I like in SD.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
they did have a survey not too long ago asking if people would be interested in Limited Editions. Looks like the answer was a "yes"
I remember that now, I told them I never pre-order their titles because they don't offer limited editions. SUCCESS! Very Happy
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
kanonforever wrote:
If karbowski in it I'll be excited I'm just happy its get a dub

Oh she will be. After all, Sentai needs to abide by the terms of the Brittney Karbowski Full Employment Act of 2008.
kanonforever

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
What is the Brittney Karbowski full employment act of 2008 never hear of it
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
sometimes I wonder if anime network guys are on drugs
this show is over a year old and most of the people who watched it wanted a dub in the first place, I dont really understand what there was to consider about it.

of course, they also announce a whole bunch of DVD only releases and annoy a bunch more people in the process. I guess reselling anime in america must have a much smaller profit margin than I thought as everyone seems to sell whatever license they can get.

I wish they would learn to say No. when companies give them ridiculous licensing restrictions because I sure as well have. In this age of online streaming it is rather irrelevant when an american video release comes out as it doesn't matter when it is added to your collection, most people have already seen the show long ago. I wish people would stop buying DVDs, it only encourages this behavior.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6