• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tsukudani's Cross-Dressing 4-Panel Manga Himegoto Gets Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:36 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
^No no no,
That's the essence of the meaning of the word "trap," you fool the viewer into someone that any guy could crush over.

So what are ya saying? Very Happy
Sailor Cadia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I would be more interested in this if the concept wasn't hinged around "you're our DOG" being the impetus, I mean I know Ouran High School Host Club has a similar concept only gender flipped but the rest of the Host Club took a while to figure out Haruhi was a girl in boys clothing and she always had enough moxie to stand up to them this sounds a bit too... degenerating of the lead.

Also am I the only person who dislikes the term "trap"? I know it is a popular term and generally refers to characters in this sort of situation, a comedy of errors or fan service character. But I have heard it applied to actually transgender people before and isn't good, as it it implies trans people are out to dupe others and nothing else which is not the case at all and a misconception many trans people find themselves battling. In fact it is has lead to murder, for example Brandon Teena. You could say it doesn't matter because in this case because it is a pure fanservice comedy character but it is just something that I've personally moved away from using even in regards to fanservice shows as I don't want to upset anyone.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Cadia wrote:
Also am I the only person who dislikes the term "trap"? I know it is a popular term and generally refers to characters in this sort of situation, a comedy of errors or fan service character. But I have heard it applied to actually transgender people before and isn't good, as it it implies trans people are out to dupe others and nothing else which is not the case at all and a misconception many trans people find themselves battling. In fact it is has lead to murder, for example Brandon Teena. You could say it doesn't matter because in this case because it is a pure fanservice comedy character but it is just something that I've personally moved away from using even in regards to fanservice shows as I don't want to upset anyone.
I've heard this dislike for that term echoed by others, but it is a misconception that the word "trap" is meant to remind us of other terminology that starts with "tra," specifically transvestites, transgender or transexual. The similarity is just a coincidence, "trap" refers explicitly to the idea that their appearance is a deception, coined by the famous Star Wars character.

Also traps don't specifically resonate with the idea of being transgender. A trap is effortlessly able to look female, unlike what a typical person undergoing a MtF transition experiences and nothing about ones gender expression necessarily dictates their gender identity or resulting gender dysphoria. Traps are just traps.
ThisJustThis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Also traps don't specifically resonate with the idea of being transgender. A trap is effortlessly able to look female, unlike what a typical person undergoing a MtF transition experiences and nothing about ones gender expression necessarily dictates their gender identity or resulting gender dysphoria. Traps are just traps.

I think the point is that the word "trap" implies a malicious intent to mislead people, even if that isn't the case most of the time. Usually, it's innocent and for comedic effect, but the word "trap" has certain negative nuances that are inaccurate or even offensive. I don't know of another term for it though, so "trap" has stuck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3