• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Stephen Colbert Takes a Pot Shot at Spirited Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
A Ghibli movie during halftime is nice, in fact, screw football in general and just put Ghibli movies on instead (if they really want pothead cartoons why look abroad, just play spongebob or something. That show was created thanks to weed)
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
This sort of thing isn't funny in the slightest to me, as is virtually every modern comedy show.

Have you thought about seeing a doctor for that?

I have: the only cure that he could recommend was that I embrace the "hipster" culture as then the comedy marketed to it would suddenly have me ROFLing. I just can't bring myself to put on those non-prescription hipster glasses and openly embrace hipster-dom. I just can't, even if it would make even just one show on Comedy Central funny to me.

Since Season 7 or so of Two and a Half Men went off the air I haven't found a consistently funny American comedy, and it isn't for a lack of trying. At this point I'm surprised that some sort of "Stockholm Syndrome" hasn't set in.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
You know that topical humor is as old as time, and there is nothing hipster about it?

Two And A Half Men was a raunchy, kind of cheap comedy that relied on sex jokes from a decidedly male perspective. I don't know how that's less "hipster" than topical humor, but it is a type of humor that never stays out of style for long (especially on CBS in the U.S.) You haven't found anything similar in the other CBS sitcoms-2 Broke Girls, The Big Bang Theory, Moms? Have you tried the new ABC sitcom Trophy Wife? It's not as lowest common denominator (less sex jokes, more jokes from a female perspective), but it is quite funny and has a fairly standard old school sitcom formula.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3