• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Metal Gear's Shinkawa Draws Pacific Rim Poster & Japan's Creators Laud Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Also, please, please, PLEASE let this movie beat Grown Ups 2 at the box office. Please.
I did my part to try and put this movie above Grown Ups 2. We failed in that fight, doubly so as this movie was extremely lackluster. If I were ever to see Del Toro I'd ask him for my 10 bucks back and an explanation as to how this movie ended up being so lackluster.

I can't believe that this movie had a $180,000,000+ budget. It wouldn't surprise me if this movie were made as a money-laundering effort as that HUGE amount of money was clearly not spent on procuring quality actors for the whole cast, writers or SFX. If memory serves Uwe Boll has used his legendarily bad films as vehicles to lessen tax impacts. Perhaps Del Toro wanted to try his hand at that.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
You say that like Grown Ups 2 didn't have an 80 million dollar budget. I know that's money so they can get all of those actors, but it's also part of Sandler's scamming of Hollywood.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
no kidding. kinda dissapointed that it didn't do well , but i was not surprised it happned after seeing the same thing with battleship.

One of their mistakes was having it right smack dab in the middile of very popular franchises cause no matter what Disney/Pixar animations , and Marvel characters especially the Wolverine will outdo any scifi flicks like Battleship and Pacific Rim every time , unless its Transformers .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
So it joins the ranks of Snakes on a Plane and Serenity in the "just because it got hyped on the internet doesn't mean anyone actually cares about it, or more specifically, the actual general population" category? Seems to be a reminder not to rely on fickle internet-goers for profit.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
No. No it dosen't. Your comment dosen't even make sense.

I really doubt Legendary was thinking about the internet audience when they spent over a 100 million on this movie. They were probably thinking of the general audience that goes and sees Transformers.

Pacfic Rim was not the internet meme machine that Snakes on a Plane was. It just got the same level of talk of any high profile summer blockbuster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
So it joins the ranks of Snakes on a Plane and Serenity in the "just because it got hyped on the internet doesn't mean anyone actually cares about it, or more specifically, the actual general population" category? Seems to be a reminder not to rely on fickle internet-goers for profit.

Except Pacific Rim, unlike SoaP, is an incredibly awesome action flick and homage to anime. I know you would rather slice your own dick off with a dull hot knife than say something American was good, but PR is one of the best movies I've seen in a recent while.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Also, please, please, PLEASE let this movie beat Grown Ups 2 at the box office. Please.
I did my part to try and put this movie above Grown Ups 2. We failed in that fight, doubly so as this movie was extremely lackluster. If I were ever to see Del Toro I'd ask him for my 10 bucks back and an explanation as to how this movie ended up being so lackluster.

I can't believe that this movie had a $180,000,000+ budget. It wouldn't surprise me if this movie were made as a money-laundering effort as that HUGE amount of money was clearly not spent on procuring quality actors for the whole cast, writers or SFX. If memory serves Uwe Boll has used his legendarily bad films as vehicles to lessen tax impacts. Perhaps Del Toro wanted to try his hand at that.

lackluster?

How can the most incredibly impressive FX ILM has ever done along with an excellent audio mix be considered lackluster? And what exactly was wrong with the casts performance? They did an excellent job and had much better performances than would be found in any Michael Bay movie...

Saw Pacific Rim this Friday afternoon...plan to see it again in 3D. Way better than any of the Transformers movies, and man the cinematography was awesome....as well as the visuals. As I saw mentioned somewhere else, the visuals are so impressive, you aren't thinking CGI when watching this movie... ILM have truly stepped up the visual effects and the audio was excellent! Will be awesome on Blu-Ray! I'd put the movie right up there with Star Trek into Darkness (though Star Trek into Darkness would be the better of the two)... very enjoyable watch.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah the movie was anything but lackluster. Use a better word.

There was nothing dull about the movie. It was extremely well crafted and full of detail in it's production. You could tell the people making it cared for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I really doubt Legendary was thinking about the internet audience when they spent over a 100 million on this movie. They were probably thinking of the general audience that goes and sees Transformers.

Pacfic Rim was not the internet meme machine that Snakes on a Plane was. It just got the same level of talk of any high profile summer blockbuster.

I've seen quite a few articles talking about it's 'internet hype failing to live up at the box office'. I mean, think about it, even people on this site were talking about it because "it might pave the way for anime movies!" or whatever. Not many Hollywood movies get that kind of discussion. No one here was saying Man of Steel would pave the way for a proper Dragonball Z movie despite being about city-destroying action.

Vracer111 wrote:
How can the most incredibly impressive FX ILM has ever done along with an excellent audio mix be considered lackluster? And what exactly was wrong with the casts performance? They did an excellent job and had much better performances than would be found in any Michael Bay movie...

Comparing it to a Michael Bay movie doesn't seem like the most prestigious praise. Maybe it's just because I'm a huge sentai fan, but I didn't find the movie anything too special. I think the weekly monster fights in Kyoryuger had more personality and flare. The 'rocket punches' didn't even feel as heavy hitting or impactful as they did in sentai or even Big O's piston punch. Maybe because it was clearly CG while sentai uses actual suit actors so you can see the weight more than CG animations, but anytime it tried to use environmental weapons like picking up building slabs or ships they didn't feel very effective or impactful, and seeing the robots crush steel like crinkling paper felt really fake and cheap rather than "wow, it's super strong". CG issues are problem I have with a lot of Hollywood stuff. It also probably doesn't help they still try to make robots 'realistic' in design and movements when they should be embracing the over-the-top ness like Kyoryuger does with living, electric dinosaurs fusing together then using their own spinal columns as swords to slash people up.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

I've seen quite a few articles talking about it's 'internet hype failing to live up at the box office'. I mean, think about it, even people on this site were talking about it because "it might pave the way for anime movies!" or whatever. Not many Hollywood movies get that kind of discussion. No one here was saying Man of Steel would pave the way for a proper Dragonball Z movie despite being about city-destroying action.

??. What kind of anaology is that? Of course people were'nt talking about Man of Steel that way. The DBZ comparisions came after people had seen it and are more jokes then anything. That's a super hero movie, not a movie with obvious connections to Japanese pop culture and a genre that many Japanese properties fit into. You're comparison dosen't make much sense.

Of course people here were talking about it. It's a giant robot movie, and giant robots are a huge part of anime for a certain audience.

I'm sure there was talk on the internet and hype. There's hype on the internet for any obvious nerd attractive movie. But you said it's falling into the ranks of Snakes on the Plain. That's wrong. That movie was heavily marketed online and it was thought because of that the movie would be successful. But Pacific Rim wasn't made for or marketed to that audience. It wasn't relying on that audience.

But since you're now saying Sentai does better then this, I'm not even sure why I'm arguing with you. Changen was 100% right.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Titan: You entire criticism boils down to it not being "HONTO SUGOI NIHON SHINEMA". Please just stop.

Also what the fudge does Sentai have to do with PR? Jesus you're not even making sense at this point
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Of course people here were talking about it. It's a giant robot movie, and giant robots are a huge part of anime for a certain audience.

And Man of Steel is an action movie with people flying around blasting and punching each other, which is also a huge part of anime for a certain audience.

Quote:
I'm sure there was talk on the internet and hype. There's hype on the internet for any obvious nerd attractive movie. But you said it's falling into the ranks of Snakes on the Plain. That's wrong

All three movies are movies that had lots of hype on the internet yet bombed at the box office despite the 'loud' cries of the internet supporting it. How is that statement wrong, exactly?

Chagen46 wrote:
Titan: You entire criticism boils down to it not being "HONTO SUGOI NIHON SHINEMA". Please just stop.

So in addition to poor debating skills you apparently also have poor reading skills

Quote:
Also what the fudge does Sentai have to do with PR? Jesus you're not even making sense at this point

If you have to legitimate ask this then it's clear you have never seen sentai. Everyone's been drawing comparisons towards it since day 1.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah yeah whatever. PR isn't bombing, it's just recouping its cost slowly.

Quote:
So in addition to poor debating skills you apparently also have poor reading skills

Pointing out how simple and Wrong your argument was is not "poor debating skills". It's telling the truth.

So ignoring your sycophantism, Gipsy Danger in the next Super Robot Wars when?

spoiler[I know it will never happen but a man can dream Q_Q]
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

And Man of Steel is an action movie with people flying around blasting and punching each other, which is also a huge part of anime for a certain audience.

Are you serious? You can't see the difference? Are you trying to be disingenuous on purpose? You don't see the difference. You can't see why anime fans were talking about Pacific Rim and not Man of Steel? Are you dense?

Pacific Rim is a giant robot movie fighting monsters called Kuju, the Japanese word for monsters. It is a movie featuring mechs piloted by humans. The director has even said he was interested introducing people to Japanese movies/mech anime with this movie. It's a homage/ a send up to Japanese things. It's a love letter to that stuff. It's about that stuff. Superman is not about Japanese things.

Man of Steel is a Superhero comic book movie. It is'nt at all about Japanese things. It dosen't have a dedication to Japanese movie makers in it. It simply as a byproduct of it's action scenes remind people of DragonBall Z, but it's action scenes are not at all like DragonBall and when people say "its the best Dragon Ball movie" they mean it as a joke. Of course it wasn't talked about the same way as Pacific Rim was by anime fans. If you can't see this then you are either lying or just plain dumb.

Of course no one was saying Man of Steel would usher in DBZ movies. It's not trying to be part of that genre. Pacific Rim is. Do you not see the difference?

Quote:
All three movies are movies that had lots of hype on the internet yet bombed at the box office despite the 'loud' cries of the internet supporting it. How is that statement wrong, exactly?
Because it is.

Serenity was made for the fans, it entire production was to capitalize on a fandom that seemingly existed. It was made for the fans of Firefly.

Snakes on a Plane was heavily marketed to the internet audience that seemingly existed.

You're trying to say because there was a lot of talk about Pacific Rim that it's just like these movies. But It's not like Serenity, because it wasn't made for fans of some thing that existed before. It was made for general audiences. It's not like Snakes, because it wasn't relying or trying to specifically market to the internet audience. If you don't get that, I can't help you.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:32 am Reply with quote
Anyone who pays to watch a movie that has anything to do with Adam Sandler deserves to have their money stolen from them. The man is a disease of and to Hollywood. Rolling Eyes

RT gives Grown Ups 2 just 6%, so at now 72% for Pacific Rim, I doubt it will have anything to worry about from another Sandler gobshyte movie. (Do you people in America really act that way?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4