• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Publishers Weekly on Tokyopop OEL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carol_kitsune

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

You do realize that the kids who draw OEL manga aren't making a lot of money, right? They're not getting anything resembling a salary out of this. I won't disclose the average amount but suffice to say it's more about getting published and having your name on the shelves than making money.

On the whole it is MUCH cheaper for Tokyopop to produce something in-house, especially since much of the time they're not hiring artists or writers who command high fees. Licensing fees for manga from Japan have gone through the roof, and that's no exaggeration, it's ridiculously expensive.

Er...I don't officially represent TP, but I do work there, and am fully aware of what the artists for whom I edit are paid. I agree that most of them do not make enough to do it without supplementary income, and that that stinks. However, hopefully the reason for this is relatively plain in what I said above regarding costs and financial risk. I am also aware of the costs of producing original works vis-a-vis publishing licensed manga, and I can tell you with authority that you are talking out of your ass.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
carol_kitsune wrote:
Zac wrote:

You do realize that the kids who draw OEL manga aren't making a lot of money, right? They're not getting anything resembling a salary out of this. I won't disclose the average amount but suffice to say it's more about getting published and having your name on the shelves than making money.

On the whole it is MUCH cheaper for Tokyopop to produce something in-house, especially since much of the time they're not hiring artists or writers who command high fees. Licensing fees for manga from Japan have gone through the roof, and that's no exaggeration, it's ridiculously expensive.

Er...I don't officially represent TP, but I do work there, and am fully aware of what the artists for whom I edit are paid. I agree that most of them do not make enough to do it without supplementary income, and that that stinks. However, hopefully the reason for this is relatively plain in what I said above regarding costs and financial risk. I am also aware of the costs of producing original works vis-a-vis publishing licensed manga, and I can tell you with authority that you are talking out of your ass.

As someone else who also does not represent Tokyopop in an official capacity but also works there, and deals in both foreign acquisitions AND paying OEL manga creators, I too agree that it is quite obvious, in this case, that you have no idea what you are talking about. The sheer amount of time and effort, and subsequently money, spent working with OEL creators is exponentially higher than licensing most very successful series. Not to mention that Japanese/Korean licensed manga are paid with a Minimum Guarantee and then % royalty of sales, where as for original manga, ALL the money has to be poured in by the company up front.
Copper Rings

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
For me, I think the reluctance and griping comes from it seeming more like a ploy than honestly trying to come up with something new. Whether TP's doing that on purpose or honestly trying to innovate, can't say.

There also seems to be a "surface gloss" approach to the art on most original manga outside of Japan, like a manga frosting on a regular comic book story. Now before anyone starts bitching and crying "Racism! Elitist!" I do believe non-Japanese artists can make manga. Look at Taiwan and Korea, you don't have to be purely Japanese to make a good story, heck not even asian. (Seven Seas on a few of its titles hits dead on the money, and they have gotten praise I hear from Japanese manga publishers)

The problem (as it at least appears to me, please keep this in mind, I am telling *no* one else how to think) is that Korea and Taiwan have had enough visual exposure to the "style" (and I'm using that term very tentatively) that it's natural to them and they can express it well. Even with all the industry here for Japanese manga and anime, it's nowhere near the level of saturation as there. I think the more we get, the more we watch, the better and more "manga-like" we'll be. There *are* some style marking that are consistent over a very large sample, but they weave in and out so much, or are specific to a certain genre it makes them nigh near impossible to categorize with any surety. Hence the "no style for manga" argument.

However, I think, with those little quirks, used in the same manner and used in the same context, and using all of the spectrum available, the "feel" of some of these original manga titles will reach the level of their asian counterparts. (and I'm only saying "level reached" because if we are going to play the game of labels and what they mean like this, most of the time it involves comparing how close is the target topic to the trait described.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3