• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bleach

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
artistic style still shines through despite being watered down for the sake of animation.

Thats my biggest problem with the show. The art in the manga has this certain hipness to it which is just lost on the anime, and its part of the reason(well the main reason actually) that i prefer the manga to the anime.

Also, I hate the fact that a Naruto comparison is even brought up. Sure there's people fighting each other and the power upping, but thats gonna be in every single shonen series. Bleach has its own unique energy to it that sets it miles apart from so many other shonen series out there. Sure it will have things seen in other series before, but it's the way Bleach does those things that makes it special. The key thing for me is that its more adventure than fighting. You aren't watching mainly for the fights, but it sure as hell is one of the highlights.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. Again, haven't seen Naruto (and thanks to the many fanboys I have no interest) Bleach has great character development and a good story to boot. Naruto, purely from the storyline seems to be souly there to show fighting. Just look at the discrption:

Quote:

Plot Summary: Naruto closely follows the life of a boy who is feared and detested by the villagers of the hidden leaf village of Konoha. The distrust of the boy has little to do with the boy himself, but it’s what’s inside him that causes anxiety. Long before Naruto came to be, a Kyuubi (demon fox) with great fury and power waged war taking many lives. The battle ensued for a long time until a man known as the Fourth Hokage, Yondaime, the strongest ninja in Konoha, fiercely fought the Kyuubi. The fight was soon won by Yondaime as he sealed the evil demon in a human body. Thus the boy, Naruto, was born. As Naruto grows he decides to become the strongest ninja in Konoha in an effort to show everyone that he is not as they perceive him to be, but is a human being worthy of love and admiration. But the road to becoming Hokage, the title for the strongest ninja in Konoha, is a long and arduous one. It is a path filled with betrayal, pain, and loss; but with hard work, Naruto may achieve Hokage.

Bleach at least has a noble (several actually) cause for the fighting. Naruto seems to be fighting just to get stronger, not to generally help anyone else. That is what sets Bleach from Naruto, the reason WHY the main characters fight in the first place. Naruto fights to gain more power at to "become the strongest ninja" and Ichigo fights to spoiler[ save Rukia ] And it's just not excluded to Ichigo, even Ishida has a reason to fight. I'm not saying that Naruto isn't a good show, but comparing it to Bleach is a mistake in any other terms except the fight scenes.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
As mentioned, it would probably be for the best if they just used the term "Shinigami" instead of either Soul Reaper or Death God. Death God taken at face value/literally holds waaay too much meaning in it for what Shinigami actually do. They're more like the emissaries of death rather than actual gods. Soul Reaper is a better fit but that term just puts me off.

But I've noticed certain things in the English version of the Bleach manga that just puts me off.

First, English style writing of the characters' names. I dunno if I'm too used to the Japanese version, but hearing Gin Ichimaru or Byakuya Kuchiki doesn't sound right for some reason. To me it's Ichimaru Gin and Kuchiki Byakuya.

My biggest gripe would be their translation of Benihime, one of my favorite zanpakuto's in the entire series. What should have been "Crimson Princess" was translated into "Red Princess." 紅姫 is the kanji for Benihime. The first character is crimson, the second is princess. How the hell does the kanji form of crimson get translated into "red?" You don't see it called Akahime or something, do you?

I dunno. It might be a more subtle thing/mistake(?) that's done commonly, but still, I think they screwed up big time. Especially given Benihime's ability.

Then the commands for Benihime, "Okiro!" which is "Awaken!" and "Nake!" which is "Sing," got translated into "Wake up!" and "Scream!" respectively.

Gotei 13's "Division" got turned into "Company," so instead of let's say, the 11th Division, it's now the 11th Company.

o_0?!

Oh and Vice-Captain is now Assistant Captain.

Maybe I'm being too nitpicky, but still, all these small things are very irritating and take away from the experience of the original, at least for me.

Anyways, back to the anime. As mentioned previously, I don't like how Kubo Tite's style got blurred out a bit in the anime. Some distinctive things are still there but, it's not so apparent as it is in the manga. They also leave out some details, but that is to be expected.

Chad and Orihime could be developed further than they are right now, and it seems like we'll be seeing that with the advent of the Arankal in the latest chapter. And Isshin just got even more kickass during the new arc. Cool

All in all, Bleach is one of the more enjoyable/better shonen out there IMO.

I hope FUNimation licenses it, just so we can see it on TV with the kind of quality FMA had.
HayabusaUF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:02 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
Bleach at least has a noble (several actually) cause for the fighting. Naruto seems to be fighting just to get stronger, not to generally help anyone else. That is what sets Bleach from Naruto, the reason WHY the main characters fight in the first place. Naruto fights to gain more power at to "become the strongest ninja"
Now that's not fair. His entire childhood he's been shunned by most everyone in his village, including his own peers, and no one told him why. Not until the first episode does he find out why, and from there the story continues as he finally becomes a real ninja. Naruto wants to get stronger, but that's only so he can accomplish his dream. He rarely fights for himself and most of the time he fights to help is friends. He just wants to people to see him for who he is and not for what's trapped inside him.

Naruto isn't the best shounen anime out there, but I couldn't let a statement like that go unanswered, especially if the person making it has never even seen the series. Smile

Back on topic. Bleach is good. Orihime wins, and not just because she has big boobs. She's ditzy but she's not a fool, so I don't see a problem. Plus, not every female character has to be similar to Rukia spoiler[or Yoruichi], otherwise there would be no individuality. spoiler[Although she's not a fighter, she's useful as a healer and as a defender, so that's another plus.]
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote
Jeez....I am not a spammer, and that it is really insulting to be called a spammer by an encyclopedia.

Anyways, I am sorry for what I have done to you guys. I really wish what I did I could take back. But that will not happen because books are stubborn (encyclopedia = book). I really would like to be here in your memories but the book will not let me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
What on earth are you talking about? And why are you reviving a thread that's almost a year old to say something that has nothing to do with it?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote
37657 wrote:
Jeez....I am not a spammer,

Well obviously you did something stupid enough to warrant the Encyclopedia staff declaring you as such. Now which one were you? The idiot who tried to link ANN's Enclyclopedia to fansubs or the idiot who typed "LKJlkjsflghq;lskjflJl:k: BEEF TACO!" as a plot summary to Bleach? Or maybe you were the genius who typed "This anime is AWESOME!" and tried to submit it as Naruto trivia.

Given that those are the kinds of people who are declared "SPAMMERS," I already have very little sympathy for you. The fact that you revived a year-old topic just to complain about something nonsensical just seals it. Thread is locked. Either read the forum rules, straighten up, or get out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3