• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Laugh Factory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadShadow42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Having recently read and fallen in love with A Bride's Story, I may have to give Emma a look. Kaoru Mori seems like an awesome mangaka, straight-up, and I want to see more of her work.

Haven't seen Shin Chan, but I do agree with your "rent" recommendation for PSG. I don't really find the show's over-the-top immature sex talk and vulgarity "funny" but I still can't deny that the show is at least honest about its intentions, and artfully animated and scored to boot. I'll admit I haven't listened to much of the sub, but from what I saw it still had a lot of profanity (though the dub certainly dialed it up a couple notches). Still, I think the dub is at least in keeping with the show's original intent, which could hardly be called elegant in either language.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
That's a NIIIICE collection there, whoever has it. I'd kill to own even a little bit of that stuff.

There is an Animax dub of Emma for those interested (done in Hong Kong, but used native-English speaking voice actors). I'm not sure where to find it, but the cast is listed on it's ANN page.
sonryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
I love that punkbikerdude has the Ghaleon punching puppet (from Lunar SSSC). It's definitely one of MY favorite game bonuses Smile (too bad the Alex one never went into production).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
The Animax dub of Nodame Cantibille (available legally in the U.S. Via Crackle) is amazing. I'd give their Emma a shot...where to find it is a huge issue, though.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
This was my opinion too, either go full true British VAs or go home. Half assing it like Licensed by Royal where it's an obvious forced accent would have just been atrocious..

Licensed by Royal did use English actors. It was dubbed by the same team that did the ROD TV dub, who in my opinion did an excellent job of dubbing the major characters who were from the UK.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The Animax dub of Nodame Cantibille (available legally in the U.S. Via Crackle) is amazing. I'd give their Emma a shot...where to find it is a huge issue, though.

Emma is out of rotation on Animax Asia, at least for the Philippine feed. There's the odd chance that the Animax Mobile live-stream (which has a totally different line-up) still has it, but I don't have a quick way to check the schedule for that.

AFAICT the dub uses actual British actors for everyone using a British accent. Emma herself is played by Andrea Kwan, who's Hong Kong-Canadian (her public profile on LinkedIn indicates she's in Canada now, so no longer does Hong Kong-based dubs) and uses a North American accent. Unfortunately the English voice acting pool in HK is really small, so an all British cast would've probably had obvious multi-voicing.

(I'm still waiting for a UK English dub of The Twins at St Clare's anime, after watching it in Chinese and Tagalog.)

Maybe I'll break down and buy the Nozomi release of Emma.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
I really need to take a picture of my CLAMP manga collection for this collumn. I have over 180 volumes of their manga alone, including both Japanese and English counterparts, but counting each of the recent omnibus compilations as one volume, and not counting individual English volumes that I later bought as omnibus volumes (which I only bought if I failed to find the rest of the individual volumes to complete that series in English)...
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:49 am Reply with quote
I would LOVE a proper British English dub of Emma. As folk have said though, you'd have to be so careful with accents, speech patterns etc. I think you'd need a British person who understands such things to rewrite the script from the translation to get that right. Emma herself is also from Yorkshire, so trying to get someone with a proper Yorkshire accent would definitely be necessary otherwise it'd more than likely sound stupid.

Having said that, I thought the dub for Steamboy was pretty good, although I doubt anyone releasing Emma would have anywhere near that budget!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:11 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I remember watching Emma back in the day on fansubs. I assumed it was the sort of show that would never get a DVD release in a million years, so I'm glad someone decided to take the plunge. Must buy it soon.

IIRC Rightstuf "took a plunge" by having fans pre-order enough of it first to fund it in exchange for having their names on the fan credits. ('Cause my name's on the fan credits.) Laughing

classicalzawa wrote:

But I must agree that merely adding curse words does not make things funny. It makes things sound like an online Call of Duty match comprised entirely of 13 year olds.

Unless it's by SLJ. SLJ always makes things funnier, like he's in Django Unchained. Laughing

potatochobit wrote:
the proper term is toilet humor.

keep that crap out of my anime,

getchman wrote:
someone at Gainax told Jamie Marchi to make it as vulgar as possible, and she did. that's why it's like that

Gainax' inspiration was Drawn Together vulgar after all. Laughing

Sleverin wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
^But wasn't there a lot less cursing in the Japanese?

Eeehhhhhhhhhh not really. There are enough times where Panty is just yelling "F***,F***,F***,F***" a good 10 or more times,

Reminds us of Detroit Metal City's 10 rapes a second. Laughing
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:15 am Reply with quote
I like how Bamboo emphasizes that it's not the dub per sé that damages PSG, it's the script. A lot of people think that dubs or localizations inherently ruin anime, and they love to bring up Shin-Chan as an example, mentioning how the Spanish version keeps the Japanese jokes, as if that made it inherently better.

I love Woolseyisms. It's a sign of creativity to translate the intent, and not the word. Besides, the "I hate hate hate you" scene in FFVI is way funnier the way it is than how it was in Japanese ("Dammit dammit dammit...").

I'd like to watch the English dub of PSG, out of morbid curiosity, at any rate. PSG is the kind of show everyone should at least check out. Crass as it is, it's a breath of fresh air.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm among those who wished that "Emma:A Victorian Romance" got a dub. It's set in England and I think it should have been dubbed into English. What they should have done is give it to an English company and had it done there. There are plenty of good English actors and actresses and I think it could have been done. It's sad that this anime wasn't dubbed into English. I hope they do this someday. I think "Emma:A Victorian Romance" deserves nothing less than the best.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one here that feels like the ending of panty and stocking needs to be talked about?? I just feel like this where gainax shined the most with it's writing by trolling it's entire audience on CHRISTMAS DAY in 2010. I would discuss it more but it's just apparent no one wants to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Am I the only one here that feels like the ending of panty and stocking needs to be talked about?? I just feel like this where gainax shined the most with it's writing by trolling it's entire audience on CHRISTMAS DAY in 2010. I would discuss it more but it's just apparent no one wants to.

Gainax being not-so-nice-people. It's not even a clever Gainax ending, just a "lol i trol u xD" type. Doesn't matter, Khara and Trigger split from Gainax and their Medaka Box was an utter flop.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Gainax being not-so-nice-people. It's not even a clever Gainax ending, just a "lol i trol u xD" type. Doesn't matter, Khara and Trigger split from Gainax and their Medaka Box was an utter flop.

Still we know for fact that gainax studios hardly ever does second season to an original anime let alone a re-boot "eva aside". So seeing that ending pop up and the words "see you next season" was just a huge middle finger. No it wasn't clever looking back but I think to pull it off in the last 15 seconds of the show.. that was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sleverin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
@enurtsol

Thank you for posting that Digimon animated gif, I loved that show waaaaay more than Pokemon when I was a kid. It's too bad that the show actually had some story and character building in it so that it had to end eventually, otherwise I would be catching whatever Digimon game would be coming out, but I think the franchise is rather forgotten at this point, that or I'm just really out of the loop, could be either.

@cecil

Yeah the ending was out of left field and definitely felt like, "BOOM we did it because we could!" and dropped the mic as they walked off the stage. It was just another step in their parody of anime though (which is probably another reason why I like the show so much) in that instead of having a locked up happy ending, it drops the hammer and pretends as if there is a second season to resolve the plot turn, when there obviously isn't going to be one. I haven't watched all that much anime until recently but from my understanding the "it's all wrapped up in the end, sure we almost died but we're all good as if nothing happened" thing happens often enough (it happened in GiTS SAC and that was really the only thing that bothered me about that show) and with a show that tries to give a jab at the industry it spawned from, it's good to see they get a good last jab as they walk off the stage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4