• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wolfgang Petersen Develops Live-Action Paprika Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
krelyan: Kon was a fan of the Paprika novel and he felt it influenced his work. So for him, adapting it was returning the favor.

edzieba: Yeah, I'm worried that it'll end up being another LA Aeon Flux, too. Wink

Rogue: The irony of your comment is that Tokyo Godfathers is, in fact based on a live-action movie-Three Godfathers.

The World: Yeah, but those weren't high-concept art films, now were they?

marzipan: The soundtrack is available on domestic CD.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
On a separate note, I'd actually like to see him at least keep the ethnicity of Atsuko and the romance the same, just for the sake of doing something different (in terms of Hollywood's habits). Doubt it for the former, but it would still be nice to see.

It'd be very gutsy for Hollywood to keep the "thin girl/fat guy" romance, especially with Atsuko being so beautiful. That always surprised me in Paprika. The movie would probably work with the ethnicities changed to American though.

Certainly it would work if the ethnicities were "defaulted" to Caucasian (if that is what you were refering to as "American"), but it would be nice for once to see ethnicities carried over across adaptations from something foreign like anime, even if it were just a few of the characters (preferably major ones). Even casting a non-white, non-Asian person for the role would be a refreshing change.

As for the romance, I would not be the least surprised if he was made into just a bumbling, thin, nerdy type, since heavy-set to obese actors don't get much of a break in Hollywood productions outside of comedic efforts.

The Nagabuchi wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
(I wouldn't mind a live-action Perfect Blue, however, which just begs for it to star a pop princess looking for a breakout role in a big way).

There already is one. And it was bad. Oh so very very bad.....

I had more of a U.S. film made with that side of the talent pool in mind, but I had no idea a Japanese live-action Perfect Blue already existed. Now I'm quite intrigued by its apparent badness... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Rogue: The irony of your comment is that Tokyo Godfathers is, in fact based on a live-action movie-Three Godfathers.

A John Wayne movie to be even more precise.

As for Paprika being turned into a Live-Action film...while I didn't really like the movie, I think this would do better as L-A then Bleach would.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't really get why anyone would think a live-action Bleach would be worse than a live-action Paprika. Just give those kids from Percy Jackson different oufits, and BAM, you're done with the former. You gotta be a lot more existential with Paprika, and who thinks it would make money, when The Cell didn't?
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
accessible for a mainstream audience

Normally this kind of remark doesn't bother me, but in Paprika's case I'm a little worried by how it could affect the story. As somebody already said, the anime wasn't staggeringly complex to begin with. Maybe Petersen is referring to some of the images in the dream sequences?

Well, I'm still enthusiastic about it, because Paprika is well-suited for a live-action adaptation I think. It should at least be a marvel to look at if done right.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Wait... the first Neverending Story was terrible! Maybe if they got the director from the second movie...
E-Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I only saw one of the sequals to Neverending Story, cause the one I saw at my school wasn't the original from what I know.

I wouldn't mind if they made this live action adaption different from the anime film. Least that way it wouldn't feel like I would be able to predict how the story goes, considering I have seen the anime film.

But I'd hope it won't become another Poseidon. The only good thing about that movie was the ship shinking, but it fails to present good characters. If it weren't for that, I'd consider it a great equal to the original.

Anyways, looks like we're going to see yet another live action movie on something that was previously an anime. Where it could either be a hit or a miss with the otakus.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
If done right this could be a real gateway hit for anime. I am of course fine with Kon's version, but a well done live version (which is what I am wishing for), is something I certainly would want to see.

Keep dreaming. I just don't believe an American live-action movie could make people interested in anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3