• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sexism in Fate/stay night.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
If you want to be pedantic then fine, I propose a compromise; Fate/Stay Night is not sexist, however its male lead - Shiro - is sexist, at least in the beginning.

There, everyone should be happy.
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
First note every spoiler tag below is for the visual novel. There will be many spoilers for the series which are not tagged.

On the contrary, I would say Fate Stay Night is actually a rejection of sexism, rather than endorsing it. The example frequently sited of Shirou acting sexistly in order to protect the female characters, one might notice, all take place in the earlier parts of the novel/series. This should be a warning sign right away--this is coming-of-age novel, and so the difference between the main character at the beginning of the novel and the end is one of the keys to the themes--anything exhibited by the protagonist at the beginning but not the end is hardly likely to be thematically suggested.

To consider the defense of the female characters in specific, it would be good to note Shirou is regularly punished when he tries to protect them--spoiler[mauled by Berserker, loses an arm, or in a specific dead end, killed by Souichirou]. As is often repeated, "you cannot save everyone," and evidenced most clearly when he goes out on a limb to try and save his numerous secondary characters. Do note, however, this also happens to his many friends when they try and be heroes--Saber takes a Gae Bolg to the chest, or Tohsaka finds herself in Berserker's grasp. Even Archer finds himself dying alone.

This suggests the actual theme--everyone needs a partner. In three books, only one character dies while working properly with her partner, and that is Caster, as seen in the series and spoiler[Unlimited Blade Works]. Only once, and even when Caster sacrifices herself, it ends as a redemption moment, rather than a tragedy. Even further, to finally defeat the enemies and win the day, the key in all three arcs is for two fitted individuals to properly cooperate--in Fate, both Saber and Shirou must acknowledge their respective roles in defeating Gilgamesh, and in UBW, spoiler[Rin and Shirou find themselves in much the same situation. ]

Sure, I shall gladly admit, Shirou begins the series quite sexist. However, this does not make the series itself sexist: Shirou realizes his mistake. Similarly, every character is forced to find their proper place--perhaps Sakura's place is in the kitchen, but so is Shirou's.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:53 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Shirou is a godamn moron. Saber is a total badass ...Problem solved.

To think Saber is a "badass" only means more problems ensue. What you should have said was:
Both Shirou and Saber (and the rest of the cast) are godamn morons. Problem solved.

That statement, had it been written, I would have agreed with. The entire series is filled with selfishness and sexism simply can't exist (nor compete) with this.

You can see sexism all you want but it's merely disguising selfishness. Wanting to be a hero, a better mage, power, or not to be alone. That's the gist of the selfishness by the masters.

I'm betting that's a pretty solid reason why humans can't touch the grail.

correction: Hercules was the best character in the series. No desires. He just served. And when he was defeated, his parting words were humble. It's a shame he couldn't take out everyone else while being removed from the competition.
no spoilers as I assumed everyone had watched the show in order to address the specifics of the thread topic
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
kilaria wrote:
wow, do I feel like I opened up a huge can of worms here. Smile

Nah, I've been wanting to talk about this for a while before you mentioned the show in the other thread.

John Casey wrote:
kilaria wrote:
Can't comment on the VN as I have never read it. I am going by the anime only.

Oh, ok then. Yeah, Shirou's a phantasmically annoying idiot. Saber is a total badass.

Sexism = Non-existent. :3

Because idiots can't be sexist?

I've got most of another post written, but I'm trying to get a copy of the last episode because I want to check that the line I think was said actually was said, as that's where I first conceived the idea that sexism underlay the story.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:52 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Oh, ok then. Yeah, Shirou's a phantasmically annoying idiot. Saber is a total badass.

Sexism = Non-existent. :3

Ummm... I already addressed this particular issue...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
So did I but oh well.
Overall, I can sum up this topic with a single image.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

A yellow ball holding a hammer, and hammering something. I wonder what's that something. Perhaps some sort of factory? Is he fixing the factory? Or could he be trying to destroy it with the hammer? Perhaps it's not a factory, but a table turned upside down. All right, so he's fixing a table. Is this thread fixing a table too?

If Shiro were gay, then this problem would have never existed. I just thought it was worth mentioning...

Last edited by egoist on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Justin Bailey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
It's a horse. As in, the arguments here are hammering on a dead horse.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Justin Bailey wrote:

I actually thought that the hair were shoes, but then I thought: "Why would a table need shoes?" But then I realized the [not yet known] head, and thought it could be a bench(beware kids, sitting right in front of a horse's tongue might prove to be a horrid experience). That was when I assumed that the yellow ball certainly was hammering the table to get it fixed.

You, my dear sir, made me spill my chocolate milkshake.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Yes, beating a dead horse, which is a euphemism for something ultimately futile and repetitious in which there is no point doing. A useless task. A tired old subject. Something that's run it's course and died.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
Justin Bailey wrote:

Yes I agree. Perhaps one of FSN's detractors would care to try making a new one. It's quite easy to sit there and straw man with the worst, most half baked post in the thread but I've yet to see any of you even attempt to tackle the key issue which is why you feel the series or even just Shiro is sexist in the first place. Yes, Shiro won't let Saber fight initially and tries to protect her. Can any of you back up your assumption that this is based on gender and not simply part of his overall hero complex though?
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote
Well I thought that those argument were made quite clear several times, but oh well. I'm now in agreement with Kruszer in that this is becoming futile, so I'm just going to opt out of this thread now. Call it "copping out" if you makes you feel better, but I just no longer care...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:55 am Reply with quote
Okay, I was probably being a bit unfair in your case. You've brought some interesting points to the table and I appreciate that. It's just that what you're saying seems to apply to a more frequent issue with entertainment in general. While it may be valid, it also applies to arguably the majority of stories. Most of which people would never think to criticize for sexism or at least not to the extent they do FSN. I wouldn't try to claim that FSN is some monument to breaking down gender stereotypes. It's not better than the vast majority of entertainment. It's just that it's no worse. Yet I always hear people taking cheap shots at it. Again though, I didn't mean to include you so much as I did others like Dorcas_Aurelia who I felt had yet to actually provide a solid reason for their belief.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't know that I care if Shiro is sexist or not honestly. I'm sexist. I recognize that women are generally weaker physically. OMG. Flame me now. They also... tend to sometimes be emotionally frail. Do males? Yes, but in a different way and they tend to avoid showing it strongly. I'd give anecdotes about ... siblings (who wouldn't disagree with me) and all that, but I'd be "stereotyping" or something. I actually don't think stereotyping is all that bad, so I'll take that charge.

The whole problem here people are having with the series, if it truly is based primarily on their own perception of such strong sexism, is maybe that their own egos are hurt by this show. Um... if they are female I'd tend to say this may even go to prove that whole.. emotionally frail line.

Man, I'm posting flame-bait. Some people have thin-skins if Fate/Stay night is this huge sexist show they can't stand. I'll be more sexist just so that you can hate me and get over it ok Smile

Do you get mad at any number of modern American comedies where the men are more often the butt of the joke? If you aren't getting pissed off at those for sexism it's probably a sign you just prefer sexism flipped.
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why this is even a point of debate.

F/S-N is a VN harem eroge. Of course it's sexist, otherwise there would be no "plot", har har. It's also a Nasu work, not to mention a Japanese take on Western concepts.

Shirou is an ultimately annoying lead who only "grows up" to fit JP conventions. It's not an issue whether or not he is sexist because it's a shallow work you should only watch for the Crowning Moments of Awesome, plot twists, and harem interactions if that's your thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4