• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Re-release-a-palooza

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Oldman1124 wrote:
At the end I couldn't even feel sorry for his sister because she stayed with the idiot the entire time.

She was, what, three years old? What did you want her to do, pack her bags and say, "Sorry, bro, but you had your chance. I'm outta here!"

(she might have been older than three, I don't remember exactly. It's been awhile since I've seen it...)
illustrata

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Clamp fans, sorry to say, but aside from their anatomically-horrifying character designs, their overuse of feathers, swirly ink and images I cannot even decipher to show action and supposedly calm scenes are enough to cause eye hemorrhage.

Well, okay, not really. Still, they're not a pleasant sight for everyone.
panzer.time

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
She was, what, three years old? What did you want her to do, pack her bags and say, "Sorry, bro, but you had your chance. I'm outta here!"

(she might have been older than three, I don't remember exactly. It's been awhile since I've seen it...)

I think she was four or so. She was old enough to wirite her name in katakana, but young enough to eat rocks. Really, though, dude was an idiot for trying to live on his own. He should have taken his aunt's advice and tried to make a bit of coin.

sailorneorune wrote:
Some of those cool points should be revoked for having a bootleg Tenchi Muyo OVA boxset.

See if you can find what I'm talking about in this week's edition of...
Exclamation SPOT! THE! BOOTLEG! Exclamation
*insert audience cheering and applause here*

I can't tell if it's a bootleg, but is it the one on the far right of the second shelf from the bottom in the second picture?
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
panzer.time wrote:
Julia-the-Great wrote:

I think she was four or so. She was old enough to wirite her name in katakana, but young enough to eat rocks. Really, though, dude was an idiot for trying to live on his own. He should have taken his aunt's advice and tried to make a bit of coin.

Uhh. the same Aunt who took everything his mom owned and only gave him one candy box i return? He was starving before he moved out of the house.

sailorneorune wrote:
Some of those cool points should be revoked for having a bootleg Tenchi Muyo OVA boxset.

See if you can find what I'm talking about in this week's edition of...
Exclamation SPOT! THE! BOOTLEG! Exclamation
*insert audience cheering and applause here*

I can't tell if it's a bootleg, but is it the one on the far right of the second shelf from the bottom in the second picture?[/quote]

Yeah, it has the studio FX logo on it. My brother gave me the same bootleg once. The only one I have though.

Bonus cool points for having Tsukikage Ran
panzer.time

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure what you said about his aunt wasn't exactly the case. First, wasn't all of his mom's stuff burnt in the fire? And his aunt and the dudes living with her were barely able to eat as it was, without his and his sister's stomachs coming and his not providing anything (as any boy in Japan or Germany was expected to do at this point in the war). Also, she didn't take all the money that his mom had saved.

I think the movie is trying to say something about how the boy's pride and inability to man up is what killed Setsuko. He refused to believe that a war was on. He refused to get a job. He refused to get his mom's money (for the first three quarters or so of the movie, anyway). Once he got the money, he spent it on frivolous stuff.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I really love Grave of the Fireflies, depressing though it is, and I'd love to get a copy. I'm a little worried about the picture quality of the DVD though, as mentioned in the review. I too have a PS3 and an HD TV. I rented the DVD long ago, and I don't remember the picture being that bad, but at the time I didn't have the higher quality electronics. For anyone that has it, is the picture really that bad? Should I wait around for a possible blu-ray with a restored video?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
panzer.time wrote:
I'm pretty sure what you said about his aunt wasn't exactly the case. First, wasn't all of his mom's stuff burnt in the fire?

No, his mother's good kimonos survived (I don't remember how exactly), and his aunt sold them off and then essentially told him he wasn't going to see any benefit from that money. I believe that was the event that more or less prompted him to leave on his own, as such an action was (to him) tantamount to theft.
underbase

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I always thought the odd character proportions in XXXholic were done on purpose to give the show that skewed, supernatural feeling. Things are just a little odd and out of proportion, much like the supernatural situations they are dealing with. Or whatever.

Anyway, at least they are distinctive, right? It seems so many anime characters these days are generic, picture-perfect and ultimately interchangeable. It's nice to see something a tad different for once.

Oh, and Yuko? HOTTIE.

Just sayin'.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
underbase wrote:
I always thought the odd character proportions in XXXholic were done on purpose to give the show that skewed, supernatural feeling. Things are just a little odd and out of proportion, much like the supernatural situations they are dealing with. Or whatever.

Anyway, at least they are distinctive, right? It seems so many anime characters these days are generic, picture-perfect and ultimately interchangeable. It's nice to see something a tad different for once.

Oh, and Yuko? HOTTIE.

Just sayin'.

Those have been my feelings toward the art style too. Maybe it is a case of just being poorly drawn, but I'd like to think that the idea that nothing is quite as normal as it seems applies to the visuals, as well.
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
panzer.time wrote:

I think the movie is trying to say something about how the boy's pride and inability to man up is what killed Setsuko. He refused to believe that a war was on. He refused to get a job. He refused to get his mom's money (for the first three quarters or so of the movie, anyway). Once he got the money, he spent it on frivolous stuff.

You're right there.. if I remember correctly, the movie was based on a memoir, it was written as a way to apologize for what had happened to his sister.
Still, he was like 11-12 years old at the time. He didn't want to join the military or government jobs because his sister would be left all alone. His aunt considered them both dead weight and was glad to be rid of them...she didn't care whether they lived or died in the first place.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
So Grave of the Fireflies is good... but I tend to think that the essential WWII anime movie is still Barefoot Gen. It is much more horrific and the characters are actually sympathetic. I felt shellshocked after watching Barefoot, while Grave just left me feeling mad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
panzer.time

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
panzer.time wrote:
I'm pretty sure what you said about his aunt wasn't exactly the case. First, wasn't all of his mom's stuff burnt in the fire?

No, his mother's good kimonos survived (I don't remember how exactly), and his aunt sold them off and then essentially told him he wasn't going to see any benefit from that money. I believe that was the event that more or less prompted him to leave on his own, as such an action was (to him) tantamount to theft.

Now that you mention it, I can remember a bit better. I believe some of her stuff was buried in a box somewhere that kid went and dug up before going to see his aunt.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Wallflower anime was pretty good, and though the ending was sorta spoiler[indefinite (i.e. things were left up the air as far as Sunako & Kyouhei's "relationship")], at least it ended before the jokes got really old, which is more than I can say about the manga. I quit buying that at volume 12 because it started to seem like the same thing over & over again. The anime just seems to skim over the highlights, which suited me just fine. Although yeah, I do wish Sunako had spent a little more time in non-chibi form (not in "gorgeous-goth-girl-a**-kicking" mode either-- just as a regular, though somewhat-sinister-looking, high school girl).

JairStout wrote:
How many times did they need to run that "Path to Becoming a Lady" bit before it becomes redundant along with the occult jokes? Apparently someone thought these things were funny, which means that on 24 separate occasions, someone said, "Hey, should we do occult jokes and the 'Path to Becoming a Lady' bit again?" And 24 different times, someone said, "Yes, let's."
That "someone" is the director Shinichi Watanabe, who makes a point to appear as some form of himself in the anime he directs (hence the trademark jacket/tie/afro on the characters in those bits).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3