• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
American Manga: Does it count?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheKuchisakeOnna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
as long as its good i dont care were its from
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Try as I might, I just can't for the life of me see "World Manga" as anything other than comics. Sort of like how I can't see Manhwa as being anything other than Manhwa. For me Anime/Manga will always be cartoons/comics produced in Japanese, for a Japanese audience and then at some port brought over from Japan. The "Manga/Anime" created in the states I see as comics influenced, be it heavily or just a little bit, by the genuine articles that come from Japan.
woody4077

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
for me country of origin is irrelevant
as long as its a good story
I.D.C. where it came from
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
So anga is a word to indicate good comics? Then we should start calling TinTin, Maus etc manga Wink
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:37 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
So anga is a word to indicate good comics? Then we should start calling TinTin, Maus etc manga Wink

Watchmen is the most popular Manga in the world.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:20 am Reply with quote
What I don't get is if OEL can count as manga, why can't Avatar the Last Airbender count as anime? I think they should both count (as hybrids if you want), or neither at all.
halloween_reject

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
So long as the art and plot is awesome i don't care if it's American or Japanese Very Happy
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
What I don't get is if OEL can count as manga, why can't Avatar the Last Airbender count as anime? I think they should both count (as hybrids if you want), or neither at all.

I'm pretty sure anyone who'd call OEL manga 'manga', would also call Avatar (or Teen Titans) 'Anime'.

I am not one of those people. Doesn't stop any of the above from being excellent mind, it just means its not Anime/Manga.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of OEL Manga and manga not made in Japanese. I read a lot of non-Japanese manga. Laughing. I don't think this is not a good idea to have a forum about OEL manga. Last time, I had that, it became a flame war about OEL manga and I have to battle it out and defend it until I have to get a moderator to close that forum. You can see it for yourself.

the topic on the OEL manga flame war was: OEL Manga jumping the shark

That topic was closed after some elitists think that OEL manga should not be called manga because it's not Japanese and something like that. I was the one that request the topic to be closed because they think their right and think manga are meant to be made in Japan. Please, if a flame war start, I recommend to close it down. I don't want another flame war to happen over OEL Manga/World Manga just like I had.

to the Xenos: If you are reading this, don't try to start a flame war here just like you did in that other topic. Leave OEL manga/World manga alone and nobody care if it's made in Japan, it's all about the art and the storyline.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
That topic was closed after some elitists think that OEL manga should not be called manga because it's not Japanese and something like that.

Um, excuse me? You and the others are the actual elitists when you think that American comics are worse than Japanese comics. You're also reductionists because you define art and stories in Japanese comics by stereotypes.

A comic's quality is irrelevent to its country of origin, and your group is the one not understanding this.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
That topic was closed after some elitists think that OEL manga should not be called manga because it's not Japanese and something like that.

Um, excuse me? You and the others are the actual elitists when you think that American comics are worse than Japanese comics. You're also reductionists because you define art and stories in Japanese comics by stereotypes.

A comic's quality is irrelevent to its country of origin, and your group is the one not understanding this.

What?? I never said American Comic were terrible, you took that out of context. Xenos, ShariganEye, and other were insulting OEL manga and I had to defend it. I love both American comic and OEL manga. When OEL manga get bashed, I have to defend it. Xenos bashed OEL manga, but not Manhua,or manga-style comic in Europe. That's double standard. I prefer that people treat OEL manga the same way as manga. I treat OEL manga and American Comic book equally. But don't try to start a flame war here, OK. Just leave OEL manga alone OK. Sometime I wonder why bash OEL manga (UK and US), but not manga made in China, Korea, and some part of Europe (France, Germany).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm more confused about how to classify things like....that series I dare not name, it's based on a story that originated in the US, but someone in Korea is doing the art, so wtf should it be classified as? OEL or Manwha? The same could said about Cirque du Freak (which I'm quite enjoying), which is drawn by a Japanese guy, but the story is from a guy from the UK. Should they be counted as manga just because they were drawn in Japan, even though the story originated in another country? And I'm sure Yen Press has a bunch more Little,Brown book series they can do this with. That's also why, and though I dearly love it, I have difficulty considering Oban Star-Racers to be an anime, its creators and a good half of the team are French and according to the DVD extra, a lot of the CGI was done in France. Shin Angyo Onshi has some trouble here too, story by a Japanese guy, art by a Korean, it somehow counts as a manwha, which I don't think it should.

I'm not against American comics in general, they just have a different flavor than manga, I enjoy both tea and hot chocolate (not necessarily at the same time, although I've been considering it more lately at an alarming rate), so my question has never been "Are they good" so much as "Should I actually call these manga?" which is what I take the debate topic of this thread to be.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Xenos, ShariganEye, and other were insulting OEL manga and I had to defend it. I love both American comic and OEL manga. When OEL manga get bashed, I have to defend it.

No, you choose to defend it. Surprisingly, the things people post on the internet don't really matter that much. You can very easilly just ignore them. It won't be the end of the world.

Quote:
Xenos bashed OEL manga, but not Manhua,or manga-style comic in Europe. That's double standard.

Not even in the slightest. I'm not sure specifically what comments you're referring to but I'm fairly certain they never addressed these at all which is not a double standard at all. They simply haven't offered any opinion whatsoever (positive or negative) because those things are not the topic being discussed.

Quote:
But don't try to start a flame war here, OK.

Spare us the hypocrisy. You're the one who felt the need to bring up some other old topic that was locked just so you could call the posters there that you disagree with names and tell everyone here not to bash OEL Manga which for the most part nobody has actually done in this topic.

Quote:
Just leave OEL manga alone OK.

Or alternatively, you could accept that people are going to disagree with you on the internet and learn to deal with it.

Quote:
Sometime I wonder why bash OEL manga (UK and US), but not manga made in China, Korea, and some part of Europe (France, Germany).

Again, not sure who you're addressing here but I don't think I've ever seen French or German manga discussed in any context. People simply don't know of it and so they don't have an opinion on it. As for other Eastern comics, it may be somewhat the same reasoning. Also though it is somewhat more reasonable for them to resemble and borrow from manga being Asian countries.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm more confused about how to classify things like....that series I dare not name, it's based on a story that originated in the US, but someone in Korea is doing the art, so wtf should it be classified as? OEL or Manwha? The same could said about Cirque du Freak (which I'm quite enjoying), which is drawn by a Japanese guy, but the story is from a guy from the UK. Should they be counted as manga just because they were drawn in Japan, even though the story originated in another country? And I'm sure Yen Press has a bunch more Little,Brown book series they can do this with. That's also why, and though I dearly love it, I have difficulty considering Oban Star-Racers to be an anime, its creators and a good half of the team are French and according to the DVD extra, a lot of the CGI was done in France. Shin Angyo Onshi has some trouble here too, story by a Japanese guy, art by a Korean, it somehow counts as a manwha, which I don't think it should.

When in doubt, just call it a comic. That's what I do. After that, you can always add some extra info, like where the creators are from.

I think the problem is that many people attach all sorts of values to the word manga, almost giving it complete new meanings at thats. They don't want their favourite entertainment to be associated with something they think is uncool, like American comics for instance, so they insist it's manga. Doesn't matter if the comic was drawn in America for an American audience, they want that link with Japan, because Japan is like super special awesome and every other country sucks.

Quote:
Xenos bashed OEL manga, but not Manhua,or manga-style comic in Europe. That's double standard.

Saying there are a lot of bad "OEL manga" is not the same as saying as all "OEL manga" are bad. IIRC we discussed the origin of these bad comics for some time and came to the conclusion that it had to do with inexperienced authors trying to imitate styles they didn't really understand and getting no real guidence from their publisher while producing their comic.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:29 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

It all depends on what a series 'first market' is. If these books/shows being written for an English audience first (and then maybe translated to Japanese for the Japanese market) then they are not Manga/Anime. If they are being writing for a primarily Japanese market first, then they are Manga/Anime. Easy Peazy.

EDIT: Quality of work has absolutely nothing to do with this distinction.

EXAMPLE: Stan Sakai is a Japanese born writer and illustrator, but he lives in the US and publishes the comic Usagi Yojimbo for an English Speaking American audience. Yes Usagi Yojimbo is heavily influenced by Eastern art styles and history, but Usagi Yojimbo is emphatically an American comic, not a 'Manga'.

Last edited by Mr Adventure on Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5