• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Channel to Stream Anime in U.S., Eurasia at Start of 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Gundam as a whole has been dead for years.

Is this the same Gundam that monopolises Newtype covers, multi-page articles and character polls with annoying regularity?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
bayoab wrote:
Gundam as a whole has been dead for years.

Is this the same Gundam that monopolises Newtype covers, multi-page articles and character polls with annoying regularity?
In the US. Dead in the US.

It was murdered by parental neglect in the UK and it died of malutrison in the US.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I hope that this is a severely successful venture for Bandai. It's about time one of the anime giants tried to revolutionize the industry, cause TV surely ain't cuttin it anymore.

Bleach @ 1am Saturday night is a sign of that.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Ten languages seems like a lot to me. I wonder what they will be, besides the already disclosed Japanese, English, French, and German. Some combination of a large population and enough money to support paying for pay-per-view episode rentals. I might speculate Spanish, Italian, Chinese, and Korean, based on various web searches with anime-based keywords, but that leaves a couple I can't even guess. Indonesian? Thai? Arabic?

edit
Further chasing down the ANN article on Bandai's streaming of the Tamagotchi thing suggests that Dutch and Portuguese are possibilities, and that English dubs are not necessarily out of the question.

Last edited by DavidShallcross on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Quark wrote:
It's good that these fans are now getting a chance to watch anime online, for free, and 100% legally. Let's hope this catches on with other companies.

Who said it would be free?
Not according to him at least, but it's typical that someone just jumps to conclusion when he's not listening and therefore closed-minded.

Primus wrote:
Desperate move by a company on the cusp of collapse?

I love how it doesn't specify if America, means North America, or the United States Of America (considering the News Title, I suspect it'll be the later). So, once again Bandai flips the bird to Canada?
More like Bandai mistreating their Gundam franchise by overestimating its worth, if you ask me.

It's still too early to tell if Bandai decided to neglect Canada once again this time around. But with Bandai's rental policy on streaming their contents through a number of "Bandai Channel affiliates", who "do not block foreign access"(his words, not mine).
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
[Therefore if I do your thinking for you, you'll shut up then?

It's unfortunate that you take offense at me asking you to defend your own opinions, but I won't apologize for that. Well, the rest is relatively civil, so I'll try starting fresh.

Quote:
That means only the latest anime series deserve the Blu-ray treatment from Bandai, even when they're not that good.

Quote:
Did I sound like I care for what's new from the Gundam franchise to you, when what's new in the Gundam franchise from Bandai doesn't automatically means it's gonna be good?

In your opinion, that is. I happen to think Gundam 00 is one of the best installments in the franchise. Unicorn, meanwhile, is in the midst of UC continuity but could stand fairly well on its own. We'll see. Though now that you mention it, actually, it's the newer shows that have been broadcast in HD and would really shine for a Blu-Ray release. Besides, what's the alternative? Mobile Suit Gundam or Zeta Gundam on Blu-Ray? I like older shows like those, but good luck selling that in the U.S. Maybe if they remastered the MSG movies and did something about licensing the Zeta movie trilogy, something could be done ideally. But not for an old series.

Quote:
Show me someone who can convince another person using the internet without them actually knew each other in real life, and I'll show you two people who don't get out much.

I'm honestly always amused at comments like that, as if some futile attempt is being made to forbid anyone ever changing their opinion online. If that's your point of view, why bother reading or writing anything online?

Quote:
Is that a lot of English-speaking people by a majority, or just anime fans who prefer voice acting of a foreign language?

Quote:
So Bandai's best effort at managing their contents online, is the worst case scenario that a Gundam fan like yourself can ever hope for. That's you putting a lot of faith into Bandai wasting everyone's time.

Quote:

Do they also come with localization like official language dubs, or is this strictly anime fans' only due to the sub-only treatment?

Actually, the worst case scenario would have been them doing nothing, continuing on with an old status quo.

We may have a misunderstanding here in that you may think I'm a sub-only guy who will take anything so long as it's subbed. Not really. I prefer dubs and I discovered anime through 1990's dubs that would make purist otaku cringe, but I digress.

As for localized dubs, well, we simply don't know if Bandai Channel will ever have any yet. In the case of a future simulcast like Unicorn, however, subs are the option you take if you want the world to see it ASAP. Dubs can come later, but one of the biggest advantages to the online streaming venture is the potential to bring shows to viewers in little to no time. If your point is that all this is meaningless without dubs then I disagree, and that kind of thing is just about impossible to do. No one expects FUNimation to have episodes of FMA Brotherhood dubbed four days after it's aired in Japan.

But if this venture is a precusor to dubbed releases in some or all those different languages, then there you go. Everybody wins. We'll see.

Quote:
Words alone don't carry human emotions, especially when Japanese aren't known for being emotional.

Quote:
You can read my words in this post, but you can't tell my emotional state when I wrote this reply. That's the single weakness of all text based communications, and subbed only anime is no exception.

I'd have to disagree. I prefer dubs, and I'd agree that usually your average fan can't appreciate the quality (or lack thereof) of Japanese acting and therefore isn't well equipped to elevate Japanese acting above English acting. But to me the issue with subs isn't the inability to interpret emotion, far from it--unlike most text-based communication, we watch subs while also hearing the Japanese voice acting and viewing the expressions of the characters. For me it's about being able to devote 100% attention to what's happening on the screen, and also the fact that I identify with my native language. But if there's something I want to watch and it has to be subtitles, then I don't let that stop me and I can follow it fine if I need to.

Quote:

I want Bandai to put more care into their contents by putting some real effort in post productions, not just treat them like some internet rental peep shows. The rest is all up to the fans on how they interact with the said contents. If they don't facilitate interactions among people outside of the fan base with the medias, then that's their loss.

I think it's far too early to criticize the amount of effort being put into this. And as I said before, the minimal amount of effort would have been not doing this at all, having people not living in Japan wait at least a year before having the chance to watch shows via any legitimate means. I wouldn't call that any sort of victory. Ultimately, you may be right that this isn't perfect. But we may yet see news of dubs, and either way fans shouldn't make the perfect the enemy of the good. At the least it's progress, and I'm glad to see it.
Annf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Quark wrote:
It's good that these fans are now getting a chance to watch anime online, for free, and 100% legally. Let's hope this catches on with other companies.

Who said it would be free?
Not according to him at least, but it's typical that someone just jumps to conclusion when he's not listening and therefore closed-minded.

Just to clarify, the post you've linked there is merely an answer to the question of how the Bandai Channel service works in Japan. It's not intended to imply their system will work the same way outside Japan. (I hope the last paragraph in that post makes that clear. Smile Apologies for tl;drness.)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Bottom line: when you can't get this stuff on TV, you try the next best option for exposure: streaming all over the net in many many languages. And getting this stuff on TV isn't a matter of it needing dubs, there's plenty of shows with dubs that can't get on TV.

TV is still the best way to sell discs, vital to anime's success.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
Therefore if I do your thinking for you, you'll shut up then?

It's unfortunate that you take offense at me asking you to defend your own opinions, but I won't apologize for that. Well, the rest is relatively civil, so I'll try starting fresh.
And I'm sorry for jumping into conclusion like that on my part. That seems to be a character flaw when I got impatient, due to a lack of progress and an actual sign of regression from Bandai.

Quote:
I happen to think Gundam 00 is one of the best installments in the franchise. Unicorn, meanwhile, is in the midst of UC continuity but could stand fairly well on its own. We'll see. Though now that you mention it, actually, it's the newer shows that have been broadcast in HD and would really shine for a Blu-Ray release. Besides, what's the alternative? Mobile Suit Gundam or Zeta Gundam on Blu-Ray? I like older shows like those, but good luck selling that in the U.S. Maybe if they remastered the MSG movies and did something about licensing the Zeta movie trilogy, something could be done ideally. But not for an old series.
Hey I don't mind the older Gundam series get DVD format, when they were meant to for their audio/visual quality weren't HD standard to begin with. Just having their stories told in their original format with great localization support, is good enough for me to help sharing the Gundam stories that I like with other people.

Besides, if the younger audiences can't seem to enjoy Gundam for what it is as both characters and story wise, just because a lack of fancy audio/visual effects. That's their lost, not mine. For they're the ones who got so spoiled with sensual pleasing effects that they're willing to watch anything that pleases their senses, when I'm the one who just wants a good war story boasting with human conflicts. Because that's always been the realism of what makes Gundam, Gundam.

Quote:
I'm honestly always amused at comments like that, as if some futile attempt is being made to forbid anyone ever changing their opinion online. If that's your point of view, why bother reading or writing anything online?
Because I'm simply being myself the best way I know how to be honest with myself, regardless of where I am. I started the conversation on this forum, and I intend to see it through, regardless of what my view on other people is. I've always been, and forever be, myself. Even if for me being myself is a self-contradiction in what I think of other people who aren't like me.

Quote:
Actually, the worst case scenario would have been them doing nothing, continuing on with an old status quo.

We may have a misunderstanding here in that you may think I'm a sub-only guy who will take anything so long as it's subbed. Not really. I prefer dubs and I discovered anime through 1990's dubs that would make purist otaku cringe, but I digress.

As for localized dubs, well, we simply don't know if Bandai Channel will ever have any yet. In the case of a future simulcast like Unicorn, however, subs are the option you take if you want the world to see it ASAP. Dubs can come later, but one of the biggest advantages to the online streaming venture is the potential to bring shows to viewers in little to no time. If your point is that all this is meaningless without dubs then I disagree, and that kind of thing is just about impossible to do. No one expects FUNimation to have episodes of FMA Brotherhood dubbed four days after it's aired in Japan.

But if this venture is a precusor to dubbed releases in some or all those different languages, then there you go. Everybody wins. We'll see.
Well then Bandai could simply do multiple recording sessions with various languages during post-production. However since their target audiences had always been their Japanese locals first and foremost, we who aren't Japanese locals therefore get the leftover treatment from them. Even though US licensing company like FUNimation are faithful to their local consumers with their post-production efforts, Bandai OTOH aren't so generous to their oversea consumers even though they made it clear that they're finally targeting overseas markets. I mean, the process of dubbing has been around for quite a long time, even before there was Bandai.

Quote:
I'd have to disagree. I prefer dubs, and I'd agree that usually your average fan can't appreciate the quality (or lack thereof) of Japanese acting and therefore isn't well equipped to elevate Japanese acting above English acting. But to me the issue with subs isn't the inability to interpret emotion, far from it--unlike most text-based communication, we watch subs while also hearing the Japanese voice acting and viewing the expressions of the characters. For me it's about being able to devote 100% attention to what's happening on the screen, and also the fact that I identify with my native language. But if there's something I want to watch and it has to be subtitles, then I don't let that stop me and I can follow it fine if I need to.
All the more prominent for me to say that Bandai is doing a poorer job presenting their Gundam franchise with sub-only releases. As if they're only relying on technology such as online streaming their contents ASAP, but never thought about the human factor.

Quote:
I think it's far too early to criticize the amount of effort being put into this. And as I said before, the minimal amount of effort would have been not doing this at all, having people not living in Japan wait at least a year before having the chance to watch shows via any legitimate means. I wouldn't call that any sort of victory. Ultimately, you may be right that this isn't perfect. But we may yet see news of dubs, and either way fans shouldn't make the perfect the enemy of the good. At the least it's progress, and I'm glad to see it.
"Good thing comes for those who wait". However since Bandai waited too long for an oversea online market that they never did anything to deserve it, I'm more than willing to wait for Bandai to start doing something that deserves my attention and contribution to watch their contents. In the meantime, FUNimation is still my #1 choice for presenting anime the way I want to watch them in. Because they strife and aim for perfection, while the rest of the industry are just making ends meet.
Zero_Shinji

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Neutral I for one do not want to argue in this, but since Bandai is streaming Gundam Series and other shows in their affiliated sites and broadcasting it. I'm totally fine with it. There might be underlying purpose by broadcasting in 10 different language and available free on youtube and other affiliated sites. It's probably a business strategy they use to get more people to view and get more support for the gundam series franchise(or just Bandai's reputation).( don't get me wrong I'm just a free-thinker so its only my opinion) Kinda like advertising a shoe brand like Nikes Razz its only to attract...>.< Do not bombard me with hate replies... I'm just saying what's on my mind that's all.. Also if you think about it.. Bandai is also a company in the business world. >.> i still think its just a move to get more people attracted towards bandai's videos
SD Maruko-kun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:

Further chasing down the ANN article on Bandai's streaming of the Tamagotchi thing suggests that Dutch and Portuguese are possibilities, and that English dubs are not necessarily out of the question.

Based on the fact that Beez' R2 EU Gundam DVDs have English, French, German, Dutch and Polish subs,
I guess Polish could also be an option as one of the sub languages.
The Beez DVD releases of the "older" Gundam titles seem to have either only Japanese audio or
Japanese and English audio, while the newer Gundam Seed has Japanese, English, German and French audio,
so for the older titels, the DVDs seem to be not too dissimilar from this future streaming offer
w.r.t language choices.

(no Dutch audio listed up there since we see dubbing as something for kids Wink )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3