• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Evangelion: 1.0.1 You Are [Not] Alone (dub)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetatronM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
The rainbows are not gratuitous. That becomes clear in the second movie. It's a new, and crucial, motif.

Does this mean I can run around like a moron yelling about how Eva is ripping off Eureka seveN?
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
elreicht wrote:
But one question though, addressed only to fans of the series, isn't Shinji-kun more likable this time around?

Yes.

I never disliked Shinji, for all the reasons penguintruth, walw6pK4Alo, and nagato316 mentioned, but I thought in this movie he went from being not-dislikable to actually likable.

If that makes sense. Very Happy

It does to me, at least. I never disliked Shinji either, because I recognized him as the young boy suffering from depression that he was, as opposed to the masculine shonen boy hero that most people expected him to be. It made for an interesting change in pace from the usual formula. I can see why he would be considered dislikable in The End of Evangelion, but I still found him to be an interesting anti-hero even then
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty tired of the argument that the reviews are bad if the reviewer didn't like the original. At no point in this review is such a thing stated, so it's being assumed by other people. Not to mention the fact that not liking the original in no way invalidates the opinions expressed. If you ask me, it's far better than having someone gush over something because they like the original so much. Overall, I have no problem with this review.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I like these little rehashes the movies are doing. With the original series you got a strong impression that this series was trying to be as different as possible from all the other Giant Robot series that ever existed at the time. They also really pushed the fact that Shinji was very different from your average "boy meets epic robot" character type. The rehashes bring back some of the classic qualities in robot series the gainax team seem to try so hard not to touch on during their first run. Rather then being purely wimping and a slave to orders, we finally see a bit more passion on Shinji's part to actually fight or do things for a bit nobler goal, if only for just a few moments. The last angel fight in the movie was a very nice rehash in my opinion.

It's not that I didn't like Shinji's character. I like that they used that character type and in a sense, Shinji was probably the most realistic hero in a Giant Robot series. His reactions and attitude are most likely like that of a regular person thrown into that situation which is probably why he bothered some fans and people; he wasn't a hero nor a better person, he was one us. But still I like the little changes to his reactions to the angels and whatnot that they made in the movies.

I'm very interested in seeing 2.0 with all the talk flying around. Although I will not subject myself to camrips. Neutral They are all just horrible. I'll check the RAW once a decent rip is out and hold off on subs and dubs until OFFICIALLY released like I did with 1.0 and etc.
elreicht

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
irishninja wrote:

Yes.

I never disliked Shinji, for all the reasons penguintruth, walw6pK4Alo, and nagato316 mentioned, but I thought in this movie he went from being not-dislikable to actually likable.

If that makes sense. Very Happy

It does to me, at least. I never disliked Shinji either, because I recognized him as the young boy suffering from depression that he was, as opposed to the masculine shonen boy hero that most people expected him to be. It made for an interesting change in pace from the usual formula. I can see why he would be considered dislikable in The End of Evangelion, but I still found him to be an interesting anti-hero even then

Shinji was a pretty unique protagonist for an anime series way back when he first appeared. At least that's what I think, I'm not sure if there is any other character like him in mecha anime who shares the same traits before NGEVA was aired.

And I guess it's not about liking or disliking the original. It's just that it kinda feels prejudiced if the review repeatedly compares the original series and the movie, instead of focusing more on the movie itself.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Please start doing the reviews seriously...

Please start leaving comments seriously...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Darn, I didn't get to see this at AX =/
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I rarely read any reviews here but since this one was about one of the best animes out there, well in this case a remake movie, i thought i should read it and this is what i come across... someone's comment about a movie. This is my point, that wasn't a review but someone commenting about a movie from his point of view. I'm not your boss to order you around, but please take it more seriously.
fusion duelist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
A review of anything is someone commenting about it from their own point of view.
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I rarely read any reviews here but since this one was about one of the best animes out there, well in this case a remake movie, i thought i should read it and this is what i come across... someone's comment about a movie. This is my point, that wasn't a review but someone commenting about a movie from his point of view. I'm not your boss to order you around, but please take it more seriously.

I'm confused. What exactly do you think a review is? Because, in my world, a review is a person giving us their opinion on a movie. Which is exactly what Carlo did.

Anyway, I felt the movie dragged a bit at the beginning, because it was basically exactly the same as the series. However, about halfway through, it picked up, as they started to switch things up.
I loved the new visuals, and the new fight with Ramiel was awesome spoiler[The fact that it now screamed and sprayed blood whenever it got hit was pretty cool]
However, for me, one of the big let-downs was the relationship between Misato and Shinji. Their relationship in the TV series was very enjoyable, as they acted very much like family. You could tell that they both cared a lot about each other. However, they seemed to be a lot more distant with eac other in the movie. I guess I can see the reason for it - Shinji seems to be more depressed in the movie, and Misato isn't as spunky either. Still, I really missed the dynamic between the two.

I have to disagree with Carlo regarding Shinji. I know it's popular opinion to hate him, but I just can't do it. It always confuses me when people call him a wimp - I remember being fourteen, and if someone said to me "Hey, we need you to risk your life piloting a giant robot so that you can fight against these huge aliens that are trying to kill you" you had better believe I'd be unhappy about it, and would let everybody know.
If he was older, and had more of a choice in the matter, and still griped, then I could see disliking him.
That and it's pretty clear that he's dealing with abandonment issues, and depression, and both of those things tend to affect people in big ways.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The difference is that Evangelion is watchable and Ideon is too cheesy for words.

ideon cheesy?? ideon is a masterpiece. not much can compare to that level of epic.

im going to eva on the 17th in tempe. cant wait to see it on the big screen Very Happy wish the bluray release wasnt such a way off...
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:

It's not that I didn't like Shinji's character. I like that they used that character type and in a sense, Shinji was probably the most realistic hero in a Giant Robot series. His reactions and attitude are most likely like that of a regular person thrown into that situation which is probably why he bothered some fans and people; he wasn't a hero nor a better person, he was one us. But still I like the little changes to his reactions to the angels and whatnot that they made in the movies.

This. I cringe every time I hear someone say Shinji is a whiner, emo, etc. I highly doubt any normal human being would act differently when faced with the same situation (especially at his age). Personally I saw the series as a character study with everything else being a means to that end and I hope these new films continue that.
kazume

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
im going to eva on the 17th in tempe

Wait a sec, I'm in Phx. AZ too, where exactly in Tempe are they showing it? Cant believe i missed news like this when hardly anything anime related comes anywhere near Phoenix O_o...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:49 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
The rainbows are not gratuitous. That becomes clear in the second movie. It's a new, and crucial, motif.
You mean the world is saved by the Care Bears? The more I find out about these new EVA movies, the more I'm convinced it's just Anno having yet another ride up the fans rectal rollercoaster. Rolling Eyes
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
samuelp wrote:
You mean the world is saved by the Care Bears? The more I find out about these new EVA movies, the more I'm convinced it's just Anno having yet another ride up the fans rectal rollercoaster. Rolling Eyes

That may indeed be what they ultimately represent. Seriously. But by movie 2 you understand that the appearance of the rainbows has metaphorical significance much like the "world tree" diagram in the series and movies...

Eva has always used "evoking" symbolism to good effect. Crosses for explosions, hexagons for AT fields (AKA divinci's human proportions diagram), etc etc... These symbols are then coopted by the show to represent something within the show's cannon, either related or unrelated to the original meaning of the symbol.

The rainbows are a new symbol Annon added quite purposefully, and whether the fact it is a "rainbow" is important is unclear, their consistently applied appearance does make sense in the context of the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5