• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva:1.0 in N. American Theaters, Eva:1.01 on DVD in Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Funimation might just be releasing both for completists and people who can't wait for the Blu-Ray release. I consider myself a completist, but unless the extra 2-3 minutes of footage makes a drastic change in the movie, I'll probably just pick-up "1.11." Though I feel iffy buying that version and keeping my fansubbed copy of ""1.01," so I'll probably buy that when I have enough money to just toss around. Of course, if the 2 versions have different extras that kinda means I'd have to buy both; wouldn't surprise me since Funi has to know how easy it is to get an "Eva" fan to fork over money. Rolling Eyes
crazychild

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Definitely gonna wait until 1.11 comes out. I was thinking about getting a Blu-Ray player just for this film if Bandai got the rights to it.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If PS3 prices do drop, I'd definitely look into getting one for a BD player first, video game system second. But if they are releasing the 1.11 version on DVD, it's really preferable to just go for that as any other version would be stupid.

Here's a sign of things to come in terms of PS3:
http://kotaku.com/5305883/ps3-bundle-includes-mgs4-killzone-2

^ Best Buy this Sunday. 80GB unit officially bundled with two top tier games for regular retail price. Saves you around $70 if those two games interested you. Apparently rumors are Sony will be releasing a slim version of the PS3 so it's likely that the older models wil get around a $50 price cut. So aggressive bundling like this is usually a sign of price reduction/clearance of old stock for upcoming newer stock.

But if blu-ray's all you're interested in you can now get stand alone players for much cheaper... Word is that definately by this Christmas blu-ray deals will ramp up! At first I thought that only live action movies would benefit from blu-ray, but as it turns out, animation looks even better! That is if it's a well budgeted movie! Appleseed Ex Machina looks magnificient! GITS2 also looks great though the DVD itself was mastered pretty well, but there's clearly more detail in the CG and the linework looks much more crisp as do the colours! I can't wait to see the more colourful Eva on blu-ray! And as for Pixar movies... nuff said!

DRWii wrote:
Funimation might just be releasing both for completists and people who can't wait for the Blu-Ray release. I consider myself a completist, but unless the extra 2-3 minutes of footage makes a drastic change in the movie, I'll probably just pick-up "1.11." Though I feel iffy buying that version and keeping my fansubbed copy of ""1.01," so I'll probably buy that when I have enough money to just toss around. Of course, if the 2 versions have different extras that kinda means I'd have to buy both; wouldn't surprise me since Funi has to know how easy it is to get an "Eva" fan to fork over money.

I believe that the releases will be exactly the same in content as that of the Japanese so see what's been available on those and you should get the idea. Also, usually blu-ray releases contain all the same content as DVD special editions and sometimes exclusive content all on the same disc or included in the package. So usually blu-ray's the best choice if you want teh whole package unless it's a case where even blu-ray copies have their own re-releases/special collector's editions. But it's pretty much the standard now that blu-ray content includes the same or more content than their DVD counterparts unless there's some special metal tin for it like the Appleseed Ex Machina release.
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
I'll just wait for 1.11.

Same.

Though I'll probably rent 1.01.

Seconded.

Since I already know there's a BD release coming, there's no point in buying the DVD version beforehand. Of course there's no way I can wait that much longer to see this movie, so I'll just Netflix it when that time comes! Cool
RenTers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Well that's great to hear still.

Though it's still fantastic to see at Comic-Con as well.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Evangelion will be shown in theaters since I missed it at AX Mad
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I'll just wait for 1.11.

Same here. They are really slow poking this. Next spring is a LONG time away. The blu-ray version of the second film will probably be out in Japan by then.

I'm glad it's coming to theaters, but I don't have to see a list to know that it won't be coming out in any theater in the entire South eastern United States.
SDAnimeFan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
Well I will just wait for the 1.11 release then.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:26 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Apparently they're releasing 1.11 on DVD as well... weird... why not just not bother with 1.01 and release the proper versions together in the spring??? This makes no sense...

Then again, some of you here are actually going to buy both???

Looks like you just answered your own question.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If PS3 prices do drop, I'd definitely look into getting one for a BD player first, video game system second.

You'll need one for The Last Guardian, anyway Smile.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:27 am Reply with quote
Then again, I might buy the first release, then when the second release comes I'll sell the first disc back to gain a little money back for the second disc. I'm just hopeless that way. Also, I'm just guessing here, maybe releasing 1.0 first would help boost enough profits for when they release 1.11, I don't know.
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
I'm not pleased by it, since I already own 1.01 on DVD (R3HK ftw!) and have to wait 6+ months for 1.11 on Blu-Ray. At least I can give other companies my money this year...
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
it's only being "shown" in 6 US cities at conventions (not even "in theaters"....its running in Canada, mostly.

This is incorrect information. It's running all this week here in Seattle. It's at a small, indy theater, but it's not attached to any kind of convention. It's the same place that showed Five Centimeters when it came to town.

I'm really debating if I want to make the drive to see this (the theater is about a half hour from where I live.) I'm not much of an Eva fan. Then again, it's pretty unusual to get anime movies in theatrical release unless it's a Miyazaki film, so I kind of want to go to support it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
_V_ wrote:
it's only being "shown" in 6 US cities at conventions (not even "in theaters"....its running in Canada, mostly.

This is incorrect information. It's running all this week here in Seattle. It's at a small, indy theater, but it's not attached to any kind of convention. It's the same place that showed Five Centimeters when it came to town.

I'm really debating if I want to make the drive to see this (the theater is about a half hour from where I live.) I'm not much of an Eva fan. Then again, it's pretty unusual to get anime movies in theatrical release unless it's a Miyazaki film, so I kind of want to go to support it.

Even so, it's still barely being shown in the US except for a few select places, which mostly seem to be the West Coast. So this movie screening is pretty much pointless for most people.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
polyh3dron wrote:
Holy hell it took them long enough. And why are they screening 1.0 instead of 2.0 when probably everyone there who is interested in EVA has already seen 1.0? I saw it like 7 months ago. I would have paid to go to the expo had they screened 2.0.

Hey that's just your assumption. I guess you watched from import DVD or from a download. You should grateful that the company is spending some resource to feature it on big screens near you. You know what? I bet that you'll say the same thing when Funimation decides put 2.0 to theaters in future.
sarsman45

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
So recently, Studio Khara showed the first movie as a television broadcast. Like always, this was also re-edited. Here is the link(please note the site is nsfw)

That is all.

Last edited by sarsman45 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4