• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twilight Director Says She Has Not Heard of Anime Plans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newborntoanime

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:
Thank God there is no Twilight anime planned.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going to crosspost what I posted on another forum:

Quote:
They'd have to get a Japanese company to agree to do it, and that means a large wad of cash in advance. And even then the studio will probably farm it out to Korea and laugh as they rip the Twilight people off for a cleverly planned piece of shit.

If they don't go to a Japanese company, they'll go right to Korea like Harmony Gold did with Shadow Chronicles; [expletive] TERRIBLE animation.

The best case scenario for those who want a Twilight anime will be one of the two, and even then they'll probably only do the animation, meaning no script involvement or voice acting.

It'd be as anime as Afro Samurai or Boondocks.

The most I can imagine is an 80 minute movie with lame animation, lame voice acting, and a bunch of Kim's in the credits.

There's really nothing to worry about here, the most it would be is a straight to video release in North America only.
ani12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm just going to crosspost what I posted on another forum:

Quote:
They'd have to get a Japanese company to agree to do it, and that means a large wad of cash in advance. And even then the studio will probably farm it out to Korea and laugh as they rip the Twilight people off for a cleverly planned piece of shit.

If they don't go to a Japanese company, they'll go right to Korea like Harmony Gold did with Shadow Chronicles; [expletive] TERRIBLE animation.

The best case scenario for those who want a Twilight anime will be one of the two, and even then they'll probably only do the animation, meaning no script involvement or voice acting.

It'd be as anime as Afro Samurai or Boondocks.

The most I can imagine is an 80 minute movie with lame animation, lame voice acting, and a bunch of Kim's in the credits.

There's really nothing to worry about here, the most it would be is a straight to video release in North America only.

Afro Samurai is an anime, unlike Boondocks. Razz
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
No, it's the same. The animation was done by a Japanese studio but the show was only really intended for north America. Well, season two of Boondocks anyway.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
If they're going to make a fuggin' Twilight anime, make it a Golgo 13 crossover. Just have gool ol' Duke Togo/Golgo 13 kill all the sparkly vampires (PROTIP: Vampires do NOT sparkle!) with his M-16, then have him do some snoo-snoo with Mary Sue a.k.a. Bella, only to kill her off later. GOODNIGHT, IRENE!

I soo agree with you! Vampires do not sparkle! Stephanie Meyer should be arrested for writng about such sucky vampires! And Bella, I hated her. I really don't see what's the big deal about Twilight.

Quote:
I wish Twilight could be an anime, at least the anime studio would get the sparkle thing right, and for those who don't like it, be grown up about it and just don't watch it, god know there's even more horrible stuff out there i.e. Dragon Ball LiveAction . .

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so people are going to talk about how much Twilight sucks. And some of us had the misfortune to read the books, and now we have to listen to people hype over it, so to us anti-Twilight fans, it's annoying. Twilight is not a big deal. Just like there are some things that are worse than Twilight, there are many things that are better as well.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
KendoGirl wrote:
If there's no HP anime there will definitely not be a Twilight one.

The books are painful, even the lulzy birthing scene wasn't worth reading through all that garbage. Mad

Not to mention that the director quoted was SACKED from New moon because it didn't make enough money Laughing Fantards are constantly speculating anime versions because of the anime-styled drawings in the japanese book releases. If it does happen, I will consider becoming an hero.

So Twilight didn't make that much money and the director was sacked? Brilliant. Laughing I thought there was something fishy about Twilight the whole time.

Quote:
ani12 wrote:

If the author wanted them to sparkle, fine, its her work, she can do whatever she wants. If you think they "tarnished the name of vampires" due to how they are portrayed in the books/movie(s), just pretend Twilight does not exist.

Also, I know some of you people don't like Twilight, but isn't wanting to kill fictional characters a bit immature?[/b]

Tell me about it. Where are all the complaints about that Karin series with the vampire that gives blood? Or any series involving half-vampires? That's the thing about fiction; you can write it however you want. Sure, the sparkling is gimmicky and designed to appeal to girls, but how is it any worse than anything you might find in a cheesy shojo manga?

All the Twilight bashing is ridiculously immature. I don't intend to read it, it doesn't interest me, so I don't pay attention to it. It's kind of sad to see people go out of their way to bash something just because they don't like it, as if not liking it is somehow more valid than liking it.

Well, while authors can write whatever they want, it is a good idea to have knowledge of the subject you are writing about. The sparkly vampires is lame, and in real folklore, vampires were, in sense, alot more terrifying, (Think Dracula, and the vampire from Lord Byron's The Vampire: A Tale. Vampires are part of Horror, Gothic and Fantasy Literature) I hated Karin too because that ignores vampire lore as well. Yes, Twilight fans, and anti-Twilight fans maybe immature, but it's kind of obvious that they are battling eachother. One side says "ITS GREAT!" While the other is countering. As a vampire purist, to me, both Twilight and Karin suck.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
That's great! I hate Twilight because it makes young adult books look lame. And I'm syaing this as a unpublished novlist. In the next draft of my novel I'm going to make fun of Twilight durring the comic con fight (the entire part of the novel asnwers the question: If a real evil froce attacked a convetion would anyone think it's real?"
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:

Well, while authors can write whatever they want, it is a good idea to have knowledge of the subject you are writing about. The sparkly vampires is lame, and in real folklore, vampires were, in sense, alot more terrifying, (Think Dracula, and the vampire from Lord Byron's The Vampire: A Tale. Vampires are part of Horror, Gothic and Fantasy Literature) I hated Karin too because that ignores vampire lore as well. Yes, Twilight fans, and anti-Twilight fans maybe immature, but it's kind of obvious that they are battling eachother. One side says "ITS GREAT!" While the other is countering. As a vampire purist, to me, both Twilight and Karin suck.

While yes that is technically true, vampire myths are multicultural and different (although there is a universal drinking of blood/life force involved that is pretty much where it ends) So an easy explanation for "shining" vampires could easily come from Egyptian mythology of Set, Ra, and Osiris. Or could be an activation of some supernatural effect, although yes that would imply some sort of "terrifying" involved, as I suggested early it could have been sun protection or a lure of some sort.
Aeria

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
KendoGirl wrote:
Not to mention that the director quoted was SACKED from New moon because it didn't make enough money Laughing Fantards are constantly speculating anime versions because of the anime-styled drawings in the japanese book releases. If it does happen, I will consider becoming an hero.

Twilight made $30 million opening day. In opening weekend, it'd made $70.5 million. It was the top debut Hollywood movie for a woman director and is in the top thirty best first-weekends of all times; just behind 300. It ripped Quantam of Solace's opening weekend to shreds (it grossed $67.5 mill.), not to mention WALL-E's and Hancock's. ($63.1 mill. and $62.something mill. respectively) If I remember correctly, it had an incredibly successful midnight premiere as well. Oh, and they were selling tickets online every five seconds.

Oh, and the movie DVDs? An estimated 3 million were sold on the first day alone. It was included in the top-five first-day bestsellers in the last two years, as well. That's quite a bit for a movie based on a (at the time) nearly unknown novel with an Indie director. Perhaps not "OMG BLOCKBUSTER" ala Pirates of the Carribean or Harry Potter (although the latter had similar opening day sales, I think?) but certainly a movie that more than left it's mark. If anything, Hardwicke was sacked because her direction was too awkward and indie for a Hollywood movie. If I recall, that was a big complaint in some reviews, or at least one a lot of people I knew were complaining about. One of the two.

To get on topic, though, it's kind of disappointing. Potential anime fans and lulz are gone. NO HOPE LEFT, etc, etc, alas.
arachneia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Again the comments of those two are some of the dumbest things homo sapiens sapiens have uttered. The world would be a better place if they were to not exist.

Shh, Johan might hear.

In all seriousness, though, i don't know why anyone's surprised. The series has tapped into a disturbing trend of women glorifying men literally obsessed with them, and it's only reasonable for Hollywood to milk it for as long as they can. Bitching about it is only going to give more publicity. It's best just to ignore it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
And obviously the two didn't know what they were even talking about. To add onto that, does she even know what an anime even is?

Hardwicke wrote:
"I think that's a cool idea, maybe. Maybe we can do that. That would be so fun; I'd love to direct that. Let's stir it up. We'll find some cool way to do it, if we do it."

Kind of going along with the flow here, aren't you Hardwicke?
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:39 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
If they're going to make a fuggin' Twilight anime, make it a Golgo 13 crossover. Just have gool ol' Duke Togo/Golgo 13 kill all the sparkly vampires (PROTIP: Vampires do NOT sparkle!) with his M-16, then have him do some snoo-snoo with Mary Sue a.k.a. Bella, only to kill her off later. GOODNIGHT, IRENE!

Nononono.....we need either Alcurd or D to take care of the mess.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:44 am Reply with quote
Heheh, this whole back-and-forth kinda reminds me of some shoujo fangirls and playa-hatas. Or even some popular anime like Haruhi or Narutards. Laughing

So, I'll just kinda repeat what I said in the previous news story:

Quote:

Many shoujo anime/manga are mediocre and bland too, but they have their fans. Often, they forgive the shoujo anime/manga's shortcomings because they like some characters so much, that they're in love with him or her, dress up as him or her at cons, etc.

I think many shoujo fans are just ticked because Twilight stole their thunder. Because the mainstream finally woke up to something shoujo-ish, but it's not shoujo - at least not their shoujo. They have always hoped that shoujo would catch on in American mainstream, but they couldn't fathom that the American mainstream would have the gall to like its own home brand of shoujo. If this was anime, they'd be all over it like white on rice. Anime hyper

Seriously, I'm just laughing how similar some anime/manga fangirls/boys are like some Twilight fangirls. If Twilight was originally Japanese, the 2 groups would be the exact same thing, without any changes! They'd be fawning how bishie Ed is with his hot sparkling body (regardless of vampire canon) and be dressing as him at anime cons. No matter how flawed the original is. It's uncanny when you just step back and see. Laughing
Beldarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:48 am Reply with quote
...Thank goodness there's no anime. I would have raided Finnish stores and burned all anime DVDs about Twilight if that happened (actually I'm about to ready to raid libraries and bookstores and burn all the Twilight books in existence).

*goes back to reading Trinity Blood* When it comes to hot vampire boyfriends (who might be abusive), Radu Barvon is a lot better than Edward could ever be. And he's a BARON to top it all off.

And I'm not one of the anti-Twilight fans who want to kill Edward and Bella - I want to make Meyer unable to write (a huge writer's block now, thank you). It's not the characters' fault they're such pieces of crap - it's Meyer's fault for writing them the way they are.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
foxia wrote:
Then again I'll be glad if one is never produced because I hate twilight with a passion. I hate it so much I burned the books and the DVD infront of a bunch of twilight fangirls to show my hatred for it.

I...I think I love you. ._. The only thing having stopped me from doing the same thing was knowing Meyer'd have gotten the cash from the purchase anyway...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5