• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sora no Iro, Mizu no Iro Condoms Sold in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Anyways, the term otaku is nowhere near as derogatory in Japan now as it was several years ago. People can still have their obsessions, while maintaining a social life, and make a decent living (spending power is right, lulz)

This Danny Choo chap appears to be quite wealthy- he can afford macbooks and meals at restaurants. Do most otaku in Japan have such spending power?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Haha, it's like whoever made this was thinking, "Ok, on the off-chance that some of those genetic fail-bag otakus do managed to get laid, we'll keep them from reproducing with these! There's no way they'll be able to resist, and once the last of them die out, we'll be hailed as the saviors of the entire Japanese race!" The non-violent genocide of japanese otaku culture! Poor, poor otaku.

Well, that's how it plays out in my head, anyways Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kyoukix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:
Haha, it's like whoever made this was thinking, "Ok, on the off-chance that some of those genetic fail-bag otakus do managed to get laid, we'll keep them from reproducing with these! There's no way they'll be able to resist, and once the last of them die out, we'll be hailed as the saviors of the entire Japanese race!" The non-violent genocide of japanese otaku culture! Poor, poor otaku.

Well, that's how it plays out in my head, anyways Razz

Since when contraception is a synonym of genocide? How can a prophylactic devise (designed to prevent diseases) can be harmful to the otaku population?
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I was just joking that they're probably trying to wipe out the otaku population by keeping them from reproducing and giving rise to a new generation of otaku - I obviously know that's not the only way otaku are going to come into being, having been born to 2 non-otaku parents myself Razz It was just a joke.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:07 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
As was pointed out, there are "masturbatory aids" where the use of a condom is recommended (Real Doll's probably fall into this category, and there are some very disturbing anime real dolls out there).

I refer you to:

KLEIST, Ellen and Harald MOI: "Transmission of Gonorrhea Through an Inflatable Doll", Genitourinary Medicine, Vol. 69, Nr. 4, p. 322 ff. August 1993

They even won the 1996 IgNobel Prize in Public Health for that bit of research.

By the way... it occurs to me that every time anything vaguely sexual is mentioned in a news article in connection with otaku or anime, the resulting Talkback thread teems with hatred and bigotry. Is this just self-hatred? Denial? Projection? Is it the Theory of Internet Dickwaddery in operation, or are you people really just as nasty and vile in real life?

Sometimes, reading Talkback threads is on a par with reading YouTube comments. Ick.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Those onahole things they sell on JList usually mention that you should use a condom if you want to use them more than once.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
condoms aren't good for preventing STDs.

Where were you educated in sex? A church?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Can you prove that they 100% prevent STDs?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

The whole point of condoms is to prevent sperm from getting into the womb. Viruses and other diseases may still be able to get through the condom, since it's not perfectly sealed, there still some porosity since it's rubber/latex. Though it's still a good idea to use it anyway.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Seat belts can't prevent 100% of car wreck injuries, either. Maybe we should stop wearing them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Seat belts can't prevent 100% of car wreck injuries, either. Maybe we should stop wearing them.

Maybe we should stop having sex casually then. That would probably help out a lot Rolling Eyes
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Maybe we should stop having sex casually then. That would probably help out a lot Rolling Eyes

We don't all feel guilty for enjoying a robust sex life.

Of course, I would settle for any at all, but now we're way off topic.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
We don't all feel guilty for enjoying a robust sex life.

Who said that I had one? Not everybody's out there trying to get laid. It gets a little irritating having to see commercials on public television too. The fact of the matter is, churches aren't the only places that give facts out about the dangers of the usages of condoms. I'll end it here and we should just move on in the topic at hand.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
facts out about the dangers of the usages of condoms. I'll end it here and we should just move on in the topic at hand.

Locking this up.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3