• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto.com, Crunchyroll, Hulu Begin Shippūden Streams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first episode through on Naruto.com, Hulu and Crunchyroll and all have a few issues:

-None of them translate the OP and ED
-Naruto.com and Hulu skip the omake at the end
-Crunchyroll doesn't translate the omake
-SD on Naruto.com is extremely grainy and the audio sounds like it's coming from a tin can.
-Hulu 480p is very rough, everything is "jagged" including subtitles
-Crunchyroll H264 probably has the best free video quality, but the subs are HUGE, the ads often cover the subs, and if you skip ahead (say, skip the OP), the subs completely lose sync.

I'm probably going to pay the extra to Crunchyroll to get better video quality and on the Japanese broadcast day, but hopefully they can fix the sub problems and get proper OP, ED, and omake translations from Viz.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
craziplaya21 wrote:
TheTheory wrote:
Shadowlord wrote:
So Naruto Shippuuden is dropped by Dattebayo from now on, right?

In their press release they said they were dropping on January 15th.

oh man, you guys sure are in for a surprise. didn't think people still fall for yhbts
Too bad it's not. =P DB has already said time and time again they are officially stopping fansubs of Shippuuden on the 15th in support of the official release. Which is really awesome; I've been waiting for some sort of official release so I didn't resort to fansubs.

Although I rather watch the dub, but that's still a long time away. Anime hyper

It is pretty great that Dattebayo is supporting this system. I think by them doing so it will help win over those who are too impatient to wait. Speaking of waiting, I think I'll also be much more excited once the English dub comes out. After already watching essentially all of the first series on TV it's hard to switch over.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

I think this has to do with the fact that the Crunchyroll stream is from TV Tokyo and the Naruto.com and Hulu streams are from Viz. Viz didn't get the omakes for Bleach, so I guess it's to be expected that they wouldn't get it for Shippuden. Though, it would be nice if they did....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Emerje wrote:

I think this has to do with the fact that the Crunchyroll stream is from TV Tokyo and the Naruto.com and Hulu streams are from Viz. Viz didn't get the omakes for Bleach, so I guess it's to be expected that they wouldn't get it for Shippuden. Though, it would be nice if they did....

Seems you're right, they're listed as being from "tvtm". But the Bleach DVDs don't have the omake on them? Anime smallmouth That's kinda lame considering that a lot of them are actually worth watching (particularly the Shinigami club activities). I suppose it's the same for the Naruto DVDs too then...

Emerje
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
mastertr wrote:
Heh, so far they don't have anything that would make me want to purchase a subscription with the exception of Shugo Chara, which is available to non-members as well. I do look forward to seeing what else is in store though. If they get enough titles that appeal to me, it might be worth the money to subscribe; plus it helps the anime industry.

And I have to be honest, I like Crunchyroll about 100 times more now that they have gotten rid all of their unauthorized content. The site looks....cleaner.

Now if veoh and other sites like youtube and myspace can do the same thing as well. Hopefully this will put an end to fansubs. I wonder if the dub version would come out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
mastertr wrote:
Heh, so far they don't have anything that would make me want to purchase a subscription with the exception of Shugo Chara, which is available to non-members as well. I do look forward to seeing what else is in store though. If they get enough titles that appeal to me, it might be worth the money to subscribe; plus it helps the anime industry.

And I have to be honest, I like Crunchyroll about 100 times more now that they have gotten rid all of their unauthorized content. The site looks....cleaner.

Now if veoh and other sites like youtube and myspace can do the same thing as well. Hopefully this will put an end to fansubs. I wonder if the dub version would come out.

I'd prefer fansubs over low quality BS like this.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Well here's a view from another U.K fan.

I had dodged Crunchyroll for a while, and was due to let it become my hub for anime, that I know I'll never see officially. It was nice to just click and watch stuff. However, while I somewhat applaud the Napsterisation of it, I knew some bad choices, like removal of uploaded stuff would spell its doom.

When will these companies realise, that by region locking content, you've already lost the battle. The net is capable of making stuff be viewed anywhere, as was the previous status of CR. Its not just about the big ol' USA. Remember, the net has no borders, so why all this fear? Is Youtube region locked? No, and that is why its such a success on the net.

Now, it will be only be a matter of time as the majority of fans migrate back to fansubs, or another new service. I'm all for helping the industry, but this is one step forward and two steps back.

Such a shame, no more Monster, Michiko to Hatchin or Legend of the Galactic Heroes for me. Long live fansubs, because there's no way I'm gonna sign up to Crunchyroll now, as there's little I want to see. I can't stomach Naruto and require more mature series. I guess Crunchy could survive on the Naruto and Bleach fans, but good luck to them and CR.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first two episodes of Shippuuden on naruto.com. Other than a few translation irritations ("Miss Sakura", suffixes not translated, non-translated OP and ED, etc.), I have no problems really with it that I can see. I actually enjoy being able to watch it and glad I decided not to watch the tempting fansubs. ^^
jsieczka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

-Crunchyroll H264 probably has the best free video quality, but the subs are HUGE, the ads often cover the subs, and if you skip ahead

The size issue of the subs must be Naruto specific on H264, I'm watching Gintama right now on that setting with no size issues.
Earlier I was watching an earlier episode at home in 720p feed to a 39" TV and I thought the video quality was very good. I'm liking the service if they can add Ride back, Black God, and Vipers Creed to the same day line up I would have no need for fansubs for the winter.
Stewiesan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed by the resolution, fansubs for me. I thought it was true 480p. DB does 848x480, I'm sure people will fill DB's shoes even though it'll take an extra few days.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
Such a shame, no more Monster, Michiko to Hatchin or Legend of the Galactic Heroes for me.

Ouch. And I can't find Michiko to Hatchin on veoh too. Didn't think of that Anime cry Well, at least it's legit? I don't really care that much, since at least sooner or later I'll be able to watch it, though I'll have to see for myself. I'm curious to see how this is going to turn out.
strider175

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
what about the dramas and mugen videos. i doubt those are authorized by the publishers and since the mugen game is user created using licensed properties that should not be the first thing to show up when clicking the game tab.

kind of sad that it takes a licensor to work with them first before they do the right thing.

still props for taking steps in becoming a legitimate avenue for the hobby.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
As thrilled as I am to see this, with Naruto in particular, I'd love to see 'em eventually upload the dubbed ver. as well. *still waiting anxiously* Wink

But overall this is a great start, I believe, to slowing the flood of fansubs.

although i'd prefer them to put the Dub on CN (and maybe they will one day, who knows) i agree, i hope they post the dub. (and god knows i've been waiting to hear any kind of news on it for a while). i'd especially prefer it online than not at all. so hopefully they will post it up, and soon Anime smile .
Scamp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I know all the legal issues and all that licensing laws. I know people say 'that isn't CR/ANN fault'. That still doesn't stop seeing the this video is not available in your region being incredibly frustrating every time I see it. And I really wanted to watch Chrono Crusade...
killua9101

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
But when will it be dubbed?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9