• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheOnePieceIsReal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:24 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Is it bad to ask for weekly reviews of My Deer Friend Nokotan even if it's not healthy for the reviewer? It would make reviews a lot more entertaining to read kinda like Pop Team Epic

One of the reviewers did a weekly review for Hand Shakers. An anime so bad that it ruined GoHands Studio's reputation (That and the plagiarism when they tried to make Tokyo Babylon. Poor Tokyo Babylon). So I don't think it's wrong to vote for it. If the people want it, then the reviewers will review it. Even with the butchered subtitles.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:28 am Reply with quote
TheOnePieceIsReal wrote:
One of the reviewers did a weekly review for Hand Shakers. An anime so bad that it ruined GoHands Studio's reputation...

And then GoHands went and made a sequel for it. I still don't understand why? Confused
FuzzyDave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:07 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Jabootu wrote:
This isn't an attempt at an "I'm right, you're wrong" thingie, I'm just asking: Am I the only one who liked Dungeon People rather more than the reviewers? It's not a modern classic, but I really enjoyed it.

I liked it a lot too due to the simple but charming look and the concept of seeing how dungeons tick. That said, I am a huge fan of fantasy dungeons so I may be an outlier.

I haven't caught up to this one yet, but I can say that the manga is charming and funny so if the anime is able to capture those qualities it will be a light, breezy, fun little show

-David
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:57 am Reply with quote
Narenare -Cheer for You!-: What a nice first episode! I love all the girls already. I think I’m really going to enjoy this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sjk9000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:27 am Reply with quote
Not sure how many people are interested, but Episode 0 of the newest Kinnikuman anime is now out on Netflix. It's called "Episode 0" because, rather than actually starting the new story arc, they're taking a step back and recapping everything that happened in the manga before now. It plays out like a clip show for an anime that never actually existed.

I had hoped Episode 0 would be a good entry point for new fans to get into Kinnikuman, but after watching it, I'm skeptical. Personally, I enjoyed it a lot. It was neat to see so many classic scenes adapted with modern animation, especially moments the old anime skipped over. But they blitz through the context so fast, there probably isn't much for an uninitiated viewer to enjoy. Which I guess it to be expected when you're adapting 30-some volumes into a single 23-minute episode.

I don't know, though. If anyone out there is interested but unfamiliar with Kinnikuman, I'd love to hear your thoughts after giving it a watch.

I'm also curious: Are reviews of either Episode 0, or maybe next week's Episode 1, going to be featured in the preview guide?
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:49 am Reply with quote
Rebecca on Mayonaka Punch wrote:
even though thirsty vampire lesbian streamers wasn't on my bingo card

Mine, either! I almost didn’t watch the show. When I read the description, my eyes glazed over as soon as it mentioned live streaming . But, like the reviewers, I’m a completist, so I grudgingly clicked play. I’m so glad I did because BOY was that fun! Totally going on my watch list.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:56 pm Reply with quote
sjk9000 wrote:
Not sure how many people are interested, but Episode 0 of the newest Kinnikuman anime is now out on Netflix. It's called "Episode 0" because, rather than actually starting the new story arc, they're taking a step back and recapping everything that happened in the manga before now. It plays out like a clip show for an anime that never actually existed.

I had hoped Episode 0 would be a good entry point for new fans to get into Kinnikuman, but after watching it, I'm skeptical. Personally, I enjoyed it a lot. It was neat to see so many classic scenes adapted with modern animation, especially moments the old anime skipped over. But they blitz through the context so fast, there probably isn't much for an uninitiated viewer to enjoy. Which I guess it to be expected when you're adapting 30-some volumes into a single 23-minute episode.

I don't know, though. If anyone out there is interested but unfamiliar with Kinnikuman, I'd love to hear your thoughts after giving it a watch.

I checked it out as a complete franchise newbie and felt that it provided a solid enough foundation for what has come before for someone like me to make general sense of who the characters are, how they're connected, what the franchise is about, and especially how cartoonishly bizarre some of the antagonists are. For me, that meets the requirements for an episode 0 for a series that looks to be a direct sequel to '80s and early '90s anime. Doesn't entice me to watch it, though, since I've never been a fan of series about big, muscle-bound dudes battling it out.

On other topics, man, I must have been in a bad mood when I watch Mayonaka Punch, as I had a far less positive reaction to it than the reviewers or those who have posted so far. Like the concept but couldn't appreciate Masaki and found the humor to fall flat. VTuber Legend, which kinda take the opposite approach, was far more entertaining for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:58 pm Reply with quote
How many more shows will be premiering this season?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:40 pm Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
How many more shows will be premiering this season?

Tomorrow;
No Longer Allowed In Another World

Wednesday;
Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World II

Friday;
Bye Bye, Earth

Saturday;
Why Does Nobody Remember Me in This World?
Makeine: Too Many Losing Heroines!
Atri -My Dear Moments-

July 18;
Sengoku Youko 2nd Part

I might have missed some?
LiteralGrill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Narenare -Cheer for You!- has me cautiously excited as a wheelchair user for its disability rep. There were a lot of things done right in the episode, and that scene at the PT clinic punched me in the gut in ways I wasn't expecting (having lived through previous experiences just like it).

Not the reason most folks get excited for a show, but I had to comment about it for the disabled anime fans out there seeking good representation!
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
I might have missed some?

You're missing a few:

7/9: The Magical Girl and the Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies

7/10: Love Is Indivisible by Twins

7/19: Moriarty's Perfect Crime

8/7: True Beauty and Delico's Nursery

There's also the second season of T · P Bon on Netflix on 7/17 (presumably as a batch).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheOnePieceIsReal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
And then GoHands went and made a sequel for it. I still don't understand why? Confused

I wonder who's responsible for making their migraine inducing animation.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:26 pm Reply with quote
[sigh] I miss the days (read: one week ago) when I thought the worst thing about Mayo Punch was that it was gonna be obnoxious as all get out.

The closest experience I can compare this premiere to was that of Black Clover, and even it had the sense to save the full OP with animation for the second episode, and if it did play on the first it'd have ran a cold open beforehand. There were amusing and fun moments here and there, but seriously, there are barely any likeable characters in the bunch, and I can't even enjoy the most likeable of them by default because I can't get over the fact that there are five vampires in this show and not just one. Let alone the fact that there are vampires to begin with... I hate myself for going into this as blind as I did, and yet, getting spoiled on the supernatural bent made the vampire reveal a tad more tolerable than it would've been otherwise?

All I know is, I'll be seeing close-up hummingbird Ichiko from the OP in my nightmares before long. Considering my specifically neurodivergent behind is gonna be watching the other eleven episodes instead of dropping it after just this one like the rest of the unimpressed probably have and will, it'll be sooner before later.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Dahlia in Bloom-Honestly, I was more interested in the tech/gadget aspect of it than the characters themselves. That's not to say I hated/disliked the characters. I'll stick with it for now.

My Deer Friend-I knew it was going to be insane but I didn't find most of what I watched funny. Maybe I'll try it again later.

The Elusive Samurai-What a visual treat! The story has me interested, too.

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin-I've never played the game, though it's on my list. Sakuna is obnoxious but still likable enough for me not to abandon it. I'm curious to see how it adapts the game.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Mayonaka Punch

Takkun4343 wrote:
...I can't get over the fact that there are five vampires in this show and not just one. Let alone the fact that there are vampires to begin with... I hate myself for going into this as blind as I did, and yet, getting spoiled on the supernatural bent made the vampire reveal a tad more tolerable than it would've been otherwise?

If I know in advance a show has vampires, I skip it.

Madо̄gushi Dahlia wa Utsumukanai (Dahlia in Bloom: Crafting a Fresh Start With Magical Tools)

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
...She's [Dahlia] also not too precious a child. Although she is grown up by the end of the episode, there's nothing gooey-sweet about the childhood portion, and the art eschews making her too cute for her own good....

James Beckett wrote:
...Also, she's [Dahlia] not played with annoying levels of cutesiness, either, which makes it so much more bearable to spend as much time as we do with her in the premiere.

"Smol Dahlia" is tolerable (the only amine small child I actually like is Renge from Non Non Biyori).

Since animation defects bother me less than most, this looks like the rare isekai keeper for me.

Nicholas Dupree wrote:
...Unfortunately all that effort has to contend with a budget of chewing gum and pocket lint, and the results look pretty bad....

Maybe they should have stretched the budget by hiring some cheap North Korean animators? Rolling Eyes

Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan (My Deer Friend Nokotan)

Nicholas Dupree wrote:
...The characters have a simple, repetitive chemistry that doesn't offer much to care about, and there's nowhere near enough variety in the material to keep it feeling fresh. If you just want a bunch of gags thrown at your face with the force of an RPG, then this will do it, but that's about it....

I found the lack of coherence in the show to be a problem, as it felt like binge watching a spinoff gag series of shorts without having watched the parent series. More coherence is possible in a scattershot gag show (e.g., Nichijou).

Na-Nare Hana-Nare (Narenare -Cheer for You!-)

Caitlin Moore wrote:
...Kanata quit cheer when her teammate Suzuha was severely injured...
...but they also didn't really operate on any kind of human wavelengths. “I can't do cheerleading because I can't fly without Suzuha!” Why not just say it's not the same without your friend?

Suzuha Obunai is the parkour girl, Megumi Kaionji is Kanata's former cheer teammate who was hospitalized and currently in a wheelchair due to illness.

Nicholas Dupree wrote:
...Combined with the vibrant aesthetic and strong character designs, and you have a show that's just fun to look at.

Yes, the visuals are excellent, as we would expect from PA Works.

This show is definitely a keeper. Been looking forward to it since the first PV was released last year, and so far not disappointed: https://youtu.be/d-naeLb_r5U

Last edited by Piglet the Grate on Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 29