• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Maria the Virgin Witch

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
However, I also don't see the feminist significance.

I am not an expert on feminism, but Gabriella's reviews and others have made a strong case over the course of these twelve weeks indicating that such an interpretation is absolutely valid. I believe several of your arguments have also been debated before, even in this review thread, and those replies still apply. I look forward to reading an articulation of them that fully addresses your points.

Quote:

Lastly, I would ask if one still considered Maria's personal victory to be a feminist victory, would they still think that when this show's merchandise starts to come out featuring Maria on bodypillows and whatnot? (I think we all know that is coming.) Would such an act of "selling out" change one's perspective about the author's intent for her?

That is quite the loaded question here. How about this: if that merchandise never materializes, or merely takes a different form from what you are presuming, will you come here and admit to automatically jumping the gun?

But more importantly, at least I do not believe that merchandising trumps content. Evangelion does not become meaningless just because Gainax has licensed all manner of shallow merchandise. You could probably look up pieces of Revolutionary Girl Utena merchandise that sexualizes Utena and Anthy, without such a fact intellectually contradicting or discrediting the actual show at all.

Hellwarden wrote:
I wanted to see exactly what Bernard was planning. What was he writing about? What was his new plan?

It would have been interesting to see the show discuss them in more detail, I agree, but it is not like we lack any real indication of what they are. I believe that his statements to Gilbert in this episode, as well as the conclusion of his final conversation with Maria, outlined the basics of the new teachings Bernard was working on.

Last edited by jroa on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
vanezzania

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:01 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
@Random 21

There's no indication that God will extend that beyond Maria and in fact the indication is that the exact opposite is true, so again I can't really say that such a narrow form of protection only for Maria is "feminist" in any kind of larger sense. Perhaps you could say she is a very minor inspirational figure for achieving her own happiness, but the show makes clear that she is an exception so I don't think there is a broad message there that would make this show compelling in that feminist respect.

I think Maria is, in a sense, a feminist character due to the way she stands up to the Earthly Church and what not. As for the show itself being feminist in its entirety, I'm not sure myself. It presents the sufferings and struggles of women in the patriarchal medieval times and shows us just how terrible it was but I don't think that presenting said struggles and suffering makes the show feminist unless it shows these women rebelling against their all male or patriarchal oppressors of which I only remember Maria doing (Unless there were other women in the show that I've forgotten, if so please remind me!). That being said, a more nuanced viewed I would take is while the show is not entirely feminist it certainly contains a feminist character and themes.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
jroa wrote:

I am not an expert on feminism, but Gabriella's reviews and others have made a strong case over the course of these twelve weeks indicating that such an interpretation is absolutely valid. I believe several of your arguments have also been debated before, even in this review thread, and those replies still apply. I look forward to reading an articulation of them that fully addresses your points.

I've read each of her reviews, and as far as I can tell, she hasn't addressed those points I raised, at least not in any obvious or direct fashion. My thought is that she's been looking past those things and focusing on the interpretations that she favors, which is her right of course, but yea I don't think she has been addressing those issues that would contradict a feminist interpretation.

Quote:
Quote:

Lastly, I would ask if one still considered Maria's personal victory to be a feminist victory, would they still think that when this show's merchandise starts to come out featuring Maria on bodypillows and whatnot? (I think we all know that is coming.) Would such an act of "selling out" change one's perspective about the author's intent for her?

That is quite the loaded question here. How about this: if that merchandise never materializes, or merely takes a different form from what you are presuming, will you come here and admit to automatically jumping the gun?

Absolutely. If we never see an official Maria bodypillow or other sexualized merch, I will say that I was incorrect on that point. As I've said before, there is no shame in admitting when one is wrong. However, given the track record of previous shows like this (particularly with a virgin, "pure" character like Maria who is an otaku's dream girl), this kind of official or semi-official merch becomes very common so I am expecting it.

Quote:

But more importantly, at least I do not believe that merchandising trumps content. Evangelion does not become meaningless just because Gainax has licensed all manner of shallow merchandise. You could probably look up pieces of Revolutionary Girl Utena merchandise that sexualizes Utena and Anthy, without such a fact intellectually contradicting or discrediting the actual show at all.

"Selling out" for merchandise is not some huge sin that makes the show meaningless. That's not my point. My point is that selling out a specific character to an industry catering to male sexual fantasies would definitely contradict the idea of the author having feminist goals with such a character.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
All this talk of "feminist this" and "feminist that" about the show is all well and good, but I personally think that it uses the term a little too broadly.

So, it's a feminist series because it portrays a strong woman in the face of adversity who defeats a male villain/adversary? If that is all that it takes to be a feminist series, then is there really much of a need for the term anymore? Really any series with a female lead would be considered a feminist series then. Cross Ange would count, as it has a strong female lead who defeats a male villain, and is subjugated by a harsh system which she overcomes.

I just described both series with one description, but judging by the reactions on this site, it appears most would disagree and say that Maria is a feminist (excuse the pun) godsend, while Ange is it's antithesis.

I guess my big question is what differentiates these type of shows and makes one more "feminist" than the other, aside from superficial differences?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:22 am Reply with quote
Eldritcho wrote:
All this talk of "feminist this" and "feminist that" about the show is all well and good, but I personally think that it uses the term a little too broadly.

So, it's a feminist series because it portrays a strong woman in the face of adversity who defeats a male villain/adversary? If that is all that it takes to be a feminist series, then is there really much of a need for the term anymore? Really any series with a female lead would be considered a feminist series then. Cross Ange would count, as it has a strong female lead who defeats a male villain, and is subjugated by a harsh system which she overcomes.

I just described both series with one description, but judging by the reactions on this site, it appears most would disagree and say that Maria is a feminist (excuse the pun) godsend, while Ange is it's antithesis.

I guess my big question is what differentiates these type of shows and makes one more "feminist" than the other, aside from superficial differences?

It's really great that you brought up the case of Cross Ange, because I have been thinking about comparisons between those two shows for a while, but I haven't been watching Cross Ange so I didn't feel qualified to talk about it. Specifically, I was wondering if Ange demonstrates more growth as a person in Cross Ange than Maria does in this show, and whether that has any bearing on how the two shows should be compared since there are similarities in themes.
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
Eldritcho wrote:

There are certainly many answers to your larger question that feminists would be able to provide, but that is quite the simplistic description. I do not believe that has ever been the essence of Gabriella's point about why the series can be considered feminist. It borders on a fallacy to suggest that.

As someone who loathes Cross Ange, I find that the mistreatment and exploitation of its female characters goes far above and beyond the complaints and criticisms that CK has expressed about Maria before.

I will certainly be fair and say that Ange herself does experience more of a visually outward change in terms of personality, but both her character and the show are loaded with so many more problematic sequences, not just the tits and asses, that equating the two series in terms of why they are or are not feminist ultimately becomes impossible.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:41 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

"Selling out" for merchandise is not some huge sin that makes the show meaningless. That's not my point. My point is that selling out a specific character to an industry catering to male sexual fantasies would definitely contradict the idea of the author having feminist goals with such a character.

"If there are hug pillows, that means the author didn't intend for the character to be seen as feminist". I understand your interpretation of the show is different from Gabriella's but this is pretty ridiculous "evidence". For the record, there already is a Maria dakimakura, but it's a doujin item. Unlicensed.

Maria isn't selling well in Japan at all, so there likely won't be very much merchandise to begin with, but if there are suddenly official hug pillows, it would make more sense to attribute it to low sales leading to the production committee approving anything they think might help recoup the production cost of the show rather than a declarative statement about the intent of the content from the creator.

If you disagree on the context and what the show was trying to do, and are looking for "evidence" that you're somehow objectively correct about this and Gabriella's reading of the show is wrong, the only thing that would support your argument to that end would be a direct quote from the mangaka. Not merchandise, not fan reaction, not the amount of doujin, just a quote.

But this isn't about being objectively right, it's just two different interpretations of a TV show. It's fun to debate them, but there is no one objectively right answer.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

"If there are hug pillows, that means the author didn't intend for the character to be seen as feminist". I understand your interpretation of the show is different from Gabriella's but this is pretty ridiculous "evidence". For the record, there already is a Maria dakimakura, but it's a doujin item. Unlicensed.

Come on Zac, you know what those pillows are for just as much as I do. They're not merely "hug pillows." Most of them show the characters in sexually revealing clothes or positions. I'm not saying they are blow-up dolls or anything, but these things tend to be about otaku fetishization of the female characters. Let's not be naive about it. And yea, I figured there might be unofficial ones, but that's why I only limited my point to official. If no official ones come out, I will withdraw this particular point, apologize, and credit the authors of this series with maintaining their integrity on that.

Quote:

Maria isn't selling well in Japan at all, so there likely won't be very much merchandise to begin with, but if there are suddenly official hug pillows, it would make more sense to attribute it to low sales leading to the production committee approving anything they think might help recoup the production cost of the show rather than a declarative statement about the intent of the content from the creator.

If you disagree on the context and what the show was trying to do, and are looking for "evidence" that you're somehow objectively correct about this and Gabriella's reading of the show is wrong, the only thing that would support your argument to that end would be a direct quote from the mangaka. Not merchandise, not fan reaction, not the amount of doujin, just a quote.

But this isn't about being objectively right, it's just two different interpretations of a TV show. It's fun to debate them, but there is no one objectively right answer.

You're right. This is all subjective stuff. I do disagree a lot with how Gabriella has been reviewing this series, but that's her right. She can have whatever opinions she wants just as I can. However, saying that the only way one can prove whether a character is feminist or not is if you have a direct quote from the mangaka is not realistic at all. Very few people are going to be giving such direct quotes, and even if you could get one, the mangaka could say whatever he wants whether it is supported by the material or not.

If all film/anime/television criticism was wholly dependent on just taking quotes from the writers and producers of said content in regard to serious commentary on major themes, then any such analysis would be considered pointless. We don't have to say anything is "objective truth," but I do believe critics can say something is more likely than not based on what is actually in the material.

I've just explained what is in the material - (to briefly summarize) a story about a 14/15th century world where the prominent women characters are analogized as sex workers (directly analogized, this isn't just me talking here), and used and abused through their sexuality by a male patriarchal system. The show doesn't overthrow that male patriarchal system, but instead reinforces it in the end. The only exception is the female protagonist who gets married, is forcefully implanted with a child (against her will) and is strongly indicated that she will have all of her powers stripped away by the male patriarchal leader in due time.

Now, tell me that is a feminist story Smile
Ergo Proxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
Well, so this is it, we're focusing on a possible interpretation of feminism in a show that mainly explores and criticizes religious fundamentalism? Really? Are we that far now? If the main character would have been a male "witch", the story and message would have remained exactly the same. Have a wonderful day...
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

It's really great that you brought up the case of Cross Ange, because I have been thinking about comparisons between those two shows for a while, but I haven't been watching Cross Ange so I didn't feel qualified to talk about it. Specifically, I was wondering if Ange demonstrates more growth as a person in Cross Ange than Maria does in this show, and whether that has any bearing on how the two shows should be compared since there are similarities in themes.

I'd say.

Ange spoiler[ends with the female characters overthrowing the society which has kept them down, defeating the inherently and systematically sexist villain and his world, and bring peace between two feuding peoples.] All the while being allowed to develop said female characters as not only individuals but as a group of friends, companions, and rivals.

The main criticism I've always seen is that it portrays them in sexual situations where they aren't in control. Well news flash, in show these were portrayed as bad and the perpetrators are usually delivered their just desserts (in due time).

Maybe it's just because of my own sex-positive leanings, but a show with kick ass ladies who can be both hard ass warriors and still be shown as emotional and vulnerable sounds more feminist to me than "babies ever after Virgin Mary-metaphor."

And also, yeah, how the heck did we get on this topic of feminism? Seems like it pops up everywhere these days...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
The only exception is the female protagonist who gets married, is forcefully implanted with a child (against her will) and is strongly indicated that she will have all of her powers stripped away by the male patriarchal leader in due time.

Example 1, 548, 392 of how you wildly distort what actually happens on screen. Ezekiel chose Maria as her mother and Maria was taken aback, for sure, but she does ultimately accept the role. You get the sense that she is looking forward to the new family that is being created.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
It would have been interesting to see the show discuss them in more detail, I agree, but it is not like we lack any real indication of what they are. I believe that his statements to Gilbert in this episode, as well as the conclusion of his final conversation with Maria, outlined the basics of the new teachings Bernard was working on.

This part I didn't have any problem with, and Gabrielle did touch on this in the review.

It helps to know the history involved here. Throughout the Middle Ages and, really, up until the time of the Reformation, ideological splinter factions of Christianity popped up on a fairly regular basis. Some were crazy-radical, what we would classify as a cult these days, and all were rigorously stamped out by the Church. Bernard is undoubtedly meant to represent that. Gabrielle correctly identified what Bernard was spouting as nascent humanist philosophy, which didn't really catch on in the vein that Bernard was spouting off about until more than three centuries later. It went well beyond thought that would have been acceptable at the time, which was why Gilbert (who is clearly a Church purist) was incensed by it and had the scrolls burned rather than reading them. Michael's actual appearance undermined the philosophical underpinnings that Bernard thought he had worked out, and he couldn't deal with it, hence the reason he attacked Michael.

And I do entirely agree with Gabrielle's interpretation that Bernard was never really a righteous individual, but was instead always more invested in temporal practicalities. He is consistently portrayed as regarding religion much more as a philosophical endeavor than a spiritual one, which is in diametric contrast to Gilbert. That's an extremely unusual - and, yes, nuanced - portrayal for anime, which tends to portray specifically Christian characters at the extremes of being either highly righteous or just going through the motions, and is the main reason why I find Bernard to be one of the most interesting supporting characters of the Winter 2015 season.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Oh, Ange absolutely has more character growth, whether outward or inward. In fact, I do feel that Maria's limited character growth is one of her series' flaws and that criticisms that she hasn't really changed all that much - that she didn't really learn all that much from her experiences - are justified.

However, I am not sure that comparing the two series on the basis of character development is really fair. A lot of CA was about bringing Ange from her starting point up to the level where Maria starts at. Hence Maria had decidedly less room to progress. Also, standing firm in one's convictions is an important theme of MVW - notice that any time a character does not do this, bad things happen to that character? - so changing too much would have been antithetical. Contrarily, CA is much more about learning to overcome thinking that is wrong or, at the very least, unsound. (Hmmm, an essay comparing/contrasting the two series is suddenly sounding like an interesting potential project. . .)

I will not even attempt to comment on whether or not CA should also be considered feminist, as past experience has shown that I have a poor understanding of where the line is between "empowering" and "exploitative." Judging the two series on other merits, I do unreservedly think that MVW is the better series (though probably not by as vast a gap as many others would probably say). It is smoother, more refined, more nuanced, and has better artistry, and I found its historical allusions more interesting than CA's allusions to other mecha titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
InstallGeneru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
"Maria will still lose her powers whenever she and Joseph decide to get it on, but at least now the Church will not actively persecute her. "
The question by me to the rest of you is:Is it possible to say this is the only possible case?And if so,how?
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
Eldritcho wrote:

Well, to begin with, the very concept of feminism isn't unique so it's highly likely one will consider a show feminist, another one will think it's anti-feminist, and others probably didn't even think about it.

For a good example, there is Kill la Kill. Some people think it is feminist because it adresses the issue about how women can wear whatever they want and not to be opressed by society, but other people believe that is just a poor excuse to show almost naked high-schoolers (even if it includes both male and female characters), and other people will be like "So what's your favorite ship?" or "Did he actually thrust his sword up in a guy's virgin ass?"

I experienced all three of those with this very same show and many others, and I came to understand at least three things: if you believe a fiction adresses (depending on your way of thinking) certain social matters you aren't wrong since it is still an opinion and interpretation; it is wrong, however, thinking that fiction is the problem and not the social matters themselves. And three (and it links to the second thing) it's okay to enjoy fiction that pleases you in a visual level only if you can differ that it's just a fantasy and not how reality works (a great example for me, Prison School)

If I had to answer, yes, Maria is a feminist show, and because it shows many different kind of women (the sex open Viv and Artemis, the isolated and shy Edwina, the old and friendly Martha, and Loletta who literally gives no fucks about anything) and of course, Maria, and all of them show how they can enjoy their lives without pleasing anyone but some might try to opress them for going out of the way of an established system. At least I do see that way and that's one of the many things I like from the show, even if it's not batlant obvious about it's meaning. Overall, I still think it's a great A deserving show.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Come on Zac, you know what those pillows are for just as much as I do. They're not merely "hug pillows." Most of them show the characters in sexually revealing clothes or positions. I'm not saying they are blow-up dolls or anything, but these things tend to be about otaku fetishization of the female characters. Let's not be naive about it. And yea, I figured there might be unofficial ones, but that's why I only limited my point to official. If no official ones come out, I will withdraw this particular point, apologize, and credit the authors of this series with maintaining their integrity on that.

Yo, I know that, 'hug pillow' is the most common English translation of 'dakimakura'. And yeah I know what they're for, I wasn't trying to downplay that, just using the most common translation. Yeesh.

Quote:

However, saying that the only way one can prove whether a character is feminist or not is if you have a direct quote from the mangaka is not realistic at all. Very few people are going to be giving such direct quotes, and even if you could get one, the mangaka could say whatever he wants whether it is supported by the material or not.

Again you completely misinterpret what I said. I didn't say you NEEDED a quote from the author to "determine if a character is feminist", but you're disagreeing with Gabriella's interpretation of the show, which is all supported by context. Events, characters, dialogue, development, plot - she uses examples to illustrate her point. You disagree with all of that, and since you're tossing out the content of the show itself as sufficient evidence to support her argument, then there's nothing left to go on for this except a direct statement from the author. Understand what I'm saying here?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 24