• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Valvrave the Liberator, Gurren Lagann TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mirri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
I'm pretty sure it would be longer than that, if Kara no Kyoukai is anything to go by.

Garden of sinners didn't have three U.S. releases before the BluRay box was batch imported, I think it's safe to assume GL will not be held to the precedent it set.

edited to remove excess quotes
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
They're on premium glossy card stock, at least 20lb, and they aren't really intended to be used as postcards... just as art cards. They are the size of standard DVD cases, not like normal postcards, and they look pretty nice.

At least, this is assuming they are the same as the Oreimo and Garden of sinners postcards.

Yeah, I think I know what you're talking about. I have a couple other sets with glossy photo cards too, but I don't own a single premium set for an anime series, so I don't know how things are done. Razz

Having the pictures inside a booklet would also be nice.

I think the best extras these sets could have would be action figures, or better yet, since these are so huge, it may as well be a complete set...

superdry wrote:
Yes, I can see that happening 6 months-1 year down the road. But, we all what will happen here when that gets announced....

Aniplex is still relatively new. I guess as soon as they "calm down", and establish that they have a catalog of titles, they might re-release some things more often. I sure hope they do a re-release of Gurren Lagann on DVD for non-hardcore fans...

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I was unable to find an official blu-ray box pic
it will probably look the same though but with blu borders
do you know somewhere with the official pic?
Mirri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Aniplex is still relatively new. I guess as soon as they "calm down", and establish that they have a catalog of titles, they might re-release some things more often. I sure hope they do a re-release of Gurren Lagann on DVD...

Read a little closer in the news article - this is the DVD set:

http://aniplexusa.com/gurrenlaganndvd/files/gldvdzoom.jpg

It's $140.

Unless you mean a discount set, then, well, I hope that there's one as well, like there is for Oreimo.

Last edited by Mirri on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
They need collectors editions like aniplex offers. It seperates fans from the chaff. I wish they got ahold of the dragon boxes before funi had their way with the series
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Purple Warrior 13 wrote:
Aniplex is still relatively new. I guess as soon as they "calm down", and establish that they have a catalog of titles, they might re-release some things more often. I sure hope they do a re-release of Gurren Lagann on DVD...

I'm hoping they would rerelease R.O.D. because my sister reblogged some gifs of it on tumblr and now I really want it. (almost got the BDs last Christmas but I decided not to)

Last edited by Pokenatic on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
They need collectors editions like aniplex offers. It seperates fans from the chaff. I wish they got ahold of the dragon boxes before funi had their way with the series

Except that Aniplex has no connections to DBZ. It's not like they would get anything that's not linked to Aniplex.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
I was unable to find an official blu-ray box pic
it will probably look the same though but with blu borders
do you know somewhere with the official pic?

There isn't one just yet, sorry. When it's ready to show AUSA will have it on their official page for the product:

http://aniplexusa.com/gurrenlagannbd/
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
Key already said to stop the comments and swearing about AoA's pricing. It is time to drop this debate (everyone has dug in their heels and no one's mind will be changed by anythng that can possibly be said).

Meh, didn't read back that far (pretty much the first two pages and this most recent. Sorry about it, I guess, although I didn't swear (unless you count self-censoring and the word hell). It still is a shame though. :\

Random comment, but speaking of Gainax and mecha, Evangelion went out of print a little while ago didn't it? Has that gotten picked up by anybody?
Gambeno

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
I actually had the Bandai release for a while which was a great deal but as a fan of the show I pre order the BD box set off Amazon Japan the moment it went on sale. The price is steep but as collector of japan figures and video games this is pretty much normal price. After it goes oop, I can see people paying double the price for it like Garden of Sinners. Hell, I'm glad I bought Volume 2 of the DBZ Dragon Box for $20 before it skyrocketed to $400 eBay price.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:21 am Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:
//snipped// Hell, it's on Netflix; watch it there. //snipped//

It's not on Netflix anymore and pricing discussion was barred from continuing in this thread 2-3 dozen posts ago.

You can still get the disks on Netflix [Sub only, though they list the dub cast anyway]. I just started watching it recently. It's a show that should look great on bluray, Ill say that.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
Numerous posts in violation of the "no further discussion about AoA pricing" ban, as well as a few completely irrelevant ones about off-subject topics, have been removed. This thread will have to get locked if people keep violating this ban, and I'd rather not have to do that since there are other topics concerning this to potentially discuss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:50 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Well, is there anyone that actually IS looking forward to either of these releases (especially Gurren Lagann)?
*Raises hand*

The DVD LE as I care enough about the show to go with that. The BD is going to be very nice, but I don't care enough for Gurren Lagann these days to spend that much (Maybe if I finally did a rewatch after 4 years I might care enough?). Works for the people that want it, and are willing to shell out that much for something they loved that much.
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Random comment, but speaking of Gainax and mecha, Evangelion went out of print a little while ago didn't it? Has that gotten picked up by anybody?
No, and it won't be until the final Rebuild is out. The series, EoE, and Death & Rebirth are all OOP worldwide, can't be rescued, and can't be licensed until the 4th Rebuild is out thanks to licensing restrictions.
[url]http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?7440-Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-(TV)-going-OOP/page6&p=123650#post123650[/url]

There's enough platinum thinpaks to go around though. After a year of being OOP Rightstuf still has the platinum thinpak set, with no counter.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/-Iwl4sl-iz99HwCxmy/browse/item/67745/4/0/0

Last edited by BigOnAnime on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:59 am; edited 2 times in total
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:50 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Australian distributor Madman wanted to relicence NGE but were told by Gainax that they couldn't until Anno had finished making Rebuild (I read this on a blog reporting on an anime convention somewhere, asked Madman myself on Facebook and in person and had it confirmed last year sometime). The obvious interpretation is that after that they'll release the Blu-Rei edition of Evangelion and it'll be rereleased when it's available in HD in an $800+ boxset. When they do I fully intend to bitch about, buy and enjoy the hell out of it (I just hope they have the full Revival (ReRevival?) including End of Evangelion, similar to what they did with TTGL).
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:57 am Reply with quote
Man Gurren Lagann on Blu ray is going to look amazing. Really that was the last good anime tv show as far as I'm concerned. The art and animation were amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 24