• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Dragon's Crown

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I got a question maybe someone can sort of give me some direction. When did this controversy start?

I mean this review comes out and then there's all this talk of controversy with the game. I went around and searched web using the words "Dragon's Crown" and "controversy". I came across sites that talked about the review and score gave by "Polygon", then there was Kotaku, some of these reviews are months old. Yet is there something that happened recently that had folks going back. I mean the game came out in Japan in July. How is it some controversy recently when they were talking about this months before. I feel I missed something because I never saw anyone going crazy about this prior to the game's release.
Jave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
I know Suda51 is anything but shy - what other fun stories have I been missing?

Enjoy: http://s24.postimg.org/b6im2fkkl/123426852689.jpg

Chrno2 wrote:
I got a question maybe someone can sort of give me some direction. When did this controversy start?

I mean this review comes out and then there's all this talk of controversy with the game. I went around and searched web using the words "Dragon's Crown" and "controversy". I came across sites that talked about the review and score gave by "Polygon", then there was Kotaku, some of these reviews are months old. Yet is there something that happened recently that had folks going back. I mean the game came out in Japan in July. How is it some controversy recently when they were talking about this months before. I feel I missed something because I never saw anyone going crazy about this prior to the game's release.

Game's art has been out long before Kotaku flung it's poop around like an enraged baboon, but no one cared until one site make a big deal about it just like with Rapelay Rolling Eyes
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
Ugh. Just sad of hearing how people see the sexual art as 'distasteful'. The first poster got it right. It just reeks of social justice bandwagoning.

NONE, absolutely, NONE of the images were distasteful in my opinion. Also, it's not like the main characters captures the girls and puts them in compromising positions. Hell, practically the MAJORITY of the people you need to save are men and even priests/mages/kings.

Not to mention the art that pops up are not really that predominant.

I just adored the over the top nature of the designs all around. I just love the bold design aspects. It certainly doesn't feel like the artist went out his way to offend or put forward some maligned message.

Again, I echo the utter disgust people have in regard to this 'controvery'. Nontroversy is more like it.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
>I am blind and practically suffocating on my own privilege, therefore this thing that exists but whose existence would be detrimental to my enjoying of it obviously doesn't exist gaiz!
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I wonder if Chagen's just upset he was thrown out of the Patriarchy for failing to master the secret handshake.

Which is about how stupid this controversy is, really: the game isn't going to be starting any sea changes in how women are depicted anywhere, so really there's just room for reasonable people to disagree whether the art's distasteful or whether it even matters - none of which justifies any level of screaming. Lightning's boobjob is far more relevant to how women in games are handled.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if Chagen's just upset he was thrown out of the Patriarchy for failing to master the secret handshake.

They don't let bisexual half-black men in in the first place. But I digress.

Quote:
the game isn't going to be starting any sea changes in how women are depicted anywhere

That isn't the point, the social conditioning factor is.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
the game isn't going to be starting any sea changes in how women are depicted anywhere

That isn't the point, the social conditioning factor is.
Yes, and society's clearly polarized into "this is ridiculous, therefore it's fun" and "this is ridiculous, therefore it's offensive" camps - not much chance to condition anybody. It's the things that are subtler than an antique fertility idol that can do real damage.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
Kakugo wrote:
I know Suda51 is anything but shy - what other fun stories have I been missing?

Enjoy: http://s24.postimg.org/b6im2fkkl/123426852689.jpg

You do know what the 9 year old story was about, right? Nobody was bullying the little girl, people are mad that the entire campaign was a scam. Not only is the girl's mother a millionaire, but she makes money off of pulling various other scams like this. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528903
Jave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
The image does point out it was a scam actually Smile I think the point is there's a lot of people jumping in on this sexism in games bandwagon with less than honest intentions like scamming people out of money by using Kickstarter or just soapboxing some unrelated stance and using games as some scapegoat or platform. Take everything you see with a grain of salt I say Wink
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
The image does point out it was a scam actually Smile)

You're right, I didn't see the little note Embarassed
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:13 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
>I am blind and practically suffocating on my own privilege, therefore this thing that exists but whose existence would be detrimental to my enjoying of it obviously doesn't exist gaiz!

Yeah. Keep saying that. I'm supposed to be a type of person who is supposed to be offended but here I am, defending the art.

I can't take anyone who just blusters out the 'PRIVILEGE' word seriously. Way to hem all opinions into tribal tripe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 18 of 18